FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Good news! [cheap CW fare but can I exchange this for WT+/MFU to CW later?] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1203240-good-news-cheap-cw-fare-but-can-i-exchange-wt-mfu-cw-later.html)

drewaz Apr 7, 2011 6:45 pm

Good news! [cheap CW fare but can I exchange this for WT+/MFU to CW later?]

I have been looking at PHX-FCO-PHX for September and today the CW fare is about $900 lower than it has been. No MFU (WT+ to CW) available though for the dates I want to travel.

Question: If I pay with cash for CW today and if MFU space becomes available later, is it possible to apply miles (at a later date) and get a refund for a portion of the amount I paid for CW?

Thanks

HIDDY Apr 7, 2011 7:15 pm

The only way would be to cancel your CW ticket (which would have to be fully flex) then purchase a WT+ ticket and MFU it.

That's if I'm reading your post correctly.

drewaz Apr 7, 2011 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 16180005)
The only way would be to cancel your CW ticket (which would have to be fully flex) then purchase a WT+ ticket and MFU it.

That's if I'm reading your post correctly.

Thanks HIDDY ... I figured going from WT+ to CW might work, but probably not the other way.

All of a sudden the CW prices from Phoenix during August and September are much lower ... than the rest of the year ... wonder how long the deal will last.

bernardd Apr 7, 2011 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by drewaz (Post 16180023)
All of a sudden the CW prices from Phoenix during August and September are much lower ... than the rest of the year ... wonder how long the deal will last.

There are almost always business class deals for August and at times like Thanksgiving, I assume because fewer people schedule work trips at those times. You almost certainly find similar deals on most of the US-based carriers within the next few days, if they haven't already started?

drewaz Apr 7, 2011 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by bernardd (Post 16180202)
There are almost always business class deals for August and at times like Thanksgiving, I assume because fewer people schedule work trips at those times. You almost certainly find similar deals on most of the US-based carriers within the next few days, if they haven't already started?

BA from Phoenix is the only way to go.

The drop is only for August and September but there are only a few award dates.

Do you know if there is a way to use miles to pay for part of the fare? I thought it was possible but I'm not seeing it on the BA web site.

Thanks

irishguy28 Apr 8, 2011 1:17 am

Originally Posted by drewaz (Post 16180230)
Do you know if there is a way to use miles to pay for part of the fare? I thought it was possible but I'm not seeing it on the BA web site.

Thanks

While logged into your BA Executive Club account, use the booking tool and under "Payment Type" select "Book with BA Miles".

When you've selected your dates and flights, you will be presented with a table of "BA Miles price options" where you can pay varying amounts of miles (with a corresponding increase in the cash amount due when you select lower mileage amounts).

drewaz Apr 8, 2011 8:58 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 16181141)
While logged into your BA Executive Club account, use the booking tool and under "Payment Type" select "Book with BA Miles".

When you've selected your dates and flights, you will be presented with a table of "BA Miles price options" where you can pay varying amounts of miles (with a corresponding increase in the cash amount due when you select lower mileage amounts).

I tried this but got this message:

There is no availability on British Airways for the displayed date range. Your options are:

* Select an alternative date range
* Search availability on our partners

LeisureFirst Apr 8, 2011 9:51 am

Originally Posted by drewaz (Post 16182609)
I tried this but got this message:

There is no availability on British Airways for the displayed date range. Your options are:

* Select an alternative date range
* Search availability on our partners

Then there isn't any miles availability. It doesn't matter whether it's an MFU, full redemption or part cash, part miles. It all comes from the same bucket.

Hiddy is quite right - there's no sense in which you can cancel the WTP->CW cash component (the ticket isn't priced like that anyway so it's meaningless) and replace it with miles. You'd have to cancel the ticket and start again. That may be possible as many tickets starting outside the UK are flexible for a small fee, but if there's a sale on now and not later you might not find yourself saving much money.

To be honest, if the price now is one you think is good I'd just buy the ticket and spend the miles another time.

Athlete95 Apr 8, 2011 10:17 am

Originally Posted by LeisureFirst (Post 16182973)
Then there isn't any miles availability. It doesn't matter whether it's an MFU, full redemption or part cash, part miles. It all comes from the same bucket.

Hiddy is quite right - there's no sense in which you can cancel the WTP->CW cash component (the ticket isn't priced like that anyway so it's meaningless) and replace it with miles. You'd have to cancel the ticket and start again. That may be possible as many tickets starting outside the UK are flexible for a small fee, but if there's a sale on now and not later you might not find yourself saving much money.

To be honest, if the price now is one you think is good I'd just buy the ticket and spend the miles another time.

For our summer holidays we always buy cheap-ish CW flights :) This summer we are off to La Romana in the Dominican Republic for 2 weeks, which is about an hour and a half's drive away from Punta Cana, set on a stunning beach. We really pushed the boat out, we are flying CE/CW from JER-LGW-PUJ and are staying in a 5* all inclusive which looks fabulous. All the restaurants apart from 1 are a la carte too. We got the JER-LGW-PUJ-LGW-JER flights for about £1600pp which we thought was a fairly good deal, seeming as the flight is 11 hours! (9 to ANU, 1hr ground stop, another hr to PUJ)

Why not buy the CW flights and then even see if reward space opens up/is available in F? That would be a nice way to start a holiday! :D