FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Welcome to Heathrow Airport's best kept secret... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1202969-welcome-heathrow-airports-best-kept-secret.html)

Disco Volante Apr 7, 2011 5:13 am

Welcome to Heathrow Airport's best kept secret...

BAA's answer to complaints about being bussed to the gate/aircraft.

A brochure arrived in the post today. See http://heathrowbyinvitation.com/

LondonAndy Apr 7, 2011 5:30 am

Interesting, but at £1.5K per flight :eek: I can't see many people using it barring celbs or the ultra ultra wealthy! Even if it was 10% of the cost it wouldn't appeal to me....

jaguarpig Apr 7, 2011 5:34 am

Bargain:eek:

polar_b Apr 7, 2011 5:34 am

Interesting - rate is GBP 1500 but that is for a group of up to 6 people so that amounts to 250 pounds per person. Not that the target audience for this service probably care about 1500 pounds...

I would like to arrive by the aircraft by private car, though. Maybe I could get the driver to honk his horn as we approach, so everyone notices? :)

stueys Apr 7, 2011 5:34 am

Originally Posted by LondonAndy (Post 16175527)
Interesting, but at £1.5K per flight :eek: I can't see many people using it barring celbs or the ultra ultra wealthy! Even if it was 10% of the cost it wouldn't appeal to me....

10% would be interesting I think but definitely with you on 1.5k, definitely a small market at that price

Raffles Apr 7, 2011 5:39 am

I've got an invite for this as well via WorldPoints. We have a 25,000 point balance at present - not sure what the cut-off point is!

By the way - before 30 June you get the return FREE when you book the outbound. And you get WorldPoints on the fee!

Raffles Apr 7, 2011 5:41 am

Originally Posted by polar_b (Post 16175542)
I would like to arrive by the aircraft by private car, though. Maybe I could get the driver to honk his horn as we approach, so everyone notices? :)

Easy. Book yourself a one-way Lufthansa First Class redemption on BMI miles. Somewhere in a low mileage zone, like Cairo or Tel Aviv.

The LH F service offers all this and more, even on reward flights. You get picked up from the steps of your London flight in Frankfurt (or Munich, which also offers it), driven to the First Class Lounge (one of the plushest in the world), put through a private passport and security channel and then driven to the steps of your onward flight.

It's very cool and worth doing once in your life, although I try to do it once per year :D.

henkybaby Apr 7, 2011 5:55 am

Definitely not aimed at the FT patronage since the USP of this product is that nobody will actually know you are using it....

J-Class Apr 7, 2011 6:14 am

Hmmm. £1,500 for complete anonymity - unless, of course, there are any other punters in the special lounge, in which case it's £1,500 for the car-to-plane service.

It's a slightly odd thing, really. After all, if you are so famous that you are likely to be mobbed at Heathrow, then in all liklihood you will be pushed through the VIP channels 'for your own safety' anyway.

Even at this price point, there's probably a market for this.

origin Apr 7, 2011 8:34 am

In the brouchure. On the boarding page. Is the lady in the pic the VIP manager at heathrow.

So all they are trying to do is raise the money for their VIP section.

Sixth Freedom Apr 7, 2011 9:08 am

Imagine you are buying 4 F MFUs from CW at GBP 2,000 a pop. The total cost of your flights is GBP 8,000 and many people here on FT would consider that you are getting something of a bargain and would not blink an eye.

I am sure that for a significant minority of posters on this site GBP 3,000 (GBP 1,500 each way) is perfectly affordable, especially when using miles instead of cash for a large proportion of your air fare.

srbrenna Apr 7, 2011 9:39 am

I took it that the £1,500 does not include VAT.

So if you buy a CW during the sale you could end up paying more getting to the plane than flying on it....

uk1 Apr 7, 2011 9:39 am

Everything has fallen into place. This has nothing at all to do with anonymity.

The more stressful BAA purposefully makes LHR, the more attractive the idea of this becomes for the small number that can just about afford it but wouldn't pay for it if LHR were more civilised.

It's just about logical for a relatively small number of genuinely vip pax who regularly travel longhaul (on shorthaul they might travel private) and for a smaller number who might stump it up for a special occaision. BAA's cunning plan is to make it even more attractive and even more profitable by making LHR an even nastier place to travel through.

HIDDY Apr 7, 2011 9:51 am

Originally Posted by origin (Post 16176365)
In the brouchure. On the boarding page. Is the lady in the pic the VIP manager at heathrow.

That'll be Anita.

I would say that was done on purpose to give you the illusion of it being her. She wouldn't deal with plebs.

Sixth Freedom Apr 7, 2011 9:53 am

There is in fact a similar option at DOH for either arriving or departing passengers.

You get a special lounge and a car to to from the aircraft. I believe that it costs about GBP 500 per passenger each way. So GBP 2,000 for a family of 4.

This is in addition to the Premium Terminal.