FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   100,000 Mile Bonus For Chase Credit Card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1202422-100-000-mile-bonus-chase-credit-card.html)

Hyperacusis Apr 7, 11 11:12 am

Anybody with a valid US Social Security number and reasonable credit can apply. Usually this means US residents, since having a US-based job is now the only way to apply for a SSN.

Originally Posted by Hoch (Post 16176471)
Wait, what? Why should BA absorb the taxes and other accompanying fees?

H

YQ is not a tax, or a fee imposed upon BA by another authority. It is a fee arbitrarily imposed by BA on fares and awards. Its impact on fares is not much, since most base fares are adjusted down such that the net fare (base fare + YQ) is competitive with other carriers. Where it bites is when it comes to awards, since your miles no longer cover the entirety of the fare, effectively turning your miles-only redemption into a cash+miles (or PCPM in BA terminology) redemption.

pkerr Apr 7, 11 11:49 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby (Post 16170552)
Please be advised that redemptions on BA are ridiculously expensive. Your 100K miles will get you a redemption in business from US to EU but you will still pay thousands of dollars in taxes and fuel charges. Yes, also if you book on BA.

It looks much better than it is. Really!

PS: If you have posted in this thread you are from now on forbidden to complain about fuel surcharges YQ+ charges etc. You have been warned!

But use your BA miles on AA for the same routing and your costs decrease considerably?

unomos Apr 7, 11 12:08 pm

Okay credit

I have just okay credit and was wondering if you think I would be more likely to get the card if I opted to transfer debt from another credit card? Not sure if this is an incentive for them to give me an account because they are looking to earn interest. Thanks

Hyperacusis Apr 7, 11 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by pkerr (Post 16177222)
But use your BA miles on AA for the same routing and your costs decrease considerably?

Only on AA domestic. BA charges YQ when redeeming awards on AA metal TATL, TPAC or to South America (ridiculous, since AA doesn't charge YQ on its own awards). Just doesn't pass the smell test.

Captain Schmidt Apr 7, 11 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis (Post 16177977)
Only on AA domestic. BA charges YQ when redeeming awards on AA metal TATL, TPAC or to South America (ridiculous, since AA doesn't charge YQ on its own awards). Just doesn't pass the smell test.

Out of interest, does anyone know if the YQ charged on AA flights get passed back to AA, or does BA pocket the money?

pkerr Apr 7, 11 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis (Post 16177977)

So a flight on BA from say, Chicago to LHR and a flight on AA will be the same tax and fee wise?

Does that also apply if flying in J or F?

Hyperacusis Apr 7, 11 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by pkerr (Post 16178337)
So a flight on BA from say, Chicago to LHR and a flight on AA will be the same tax and fee wise?

Does that also apply if flying in J or F?

Yes and yes. As a matter of fact, you may end up paying slightly more on AA because I remember reading somewhere that "AA YQ" (whatever that means) is treated as taxable by AA, and a number of taxes show up on the AA itinerary that otherwise would not if it were a "real" award ticket.

Edit: I should clarify - the AA flight will have YQ charged on it when redeeming using BA miles. If you were redeeming with AA miles or paying for it with cash, there would be no YQ, since AA doesn't charge YQ.

Hyperacusis Apr 7, 11 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt (Post 16178010)
Out of interest, does anyone know if the YQ charged on AA flights get passed back to AA, or does BA pocket the money?

Nobody here knows for sure, but given that the YQ charges are set by BA, and scale as BA's YQ scales, it would be reasonable to assume that BA pockets them. The same applies to a number of other OW airlines on which BA charges YQ but AA does not (JL and QF to name two).

Remember, AA does charge fuel surcharges, but these are calculated into the base fare, not outside of it like YQ, so for all intents and purposes they are invisible to the passenger (i.e. they are done right). And to my knowledge, AA's fuel surcharges vary greatly from BA's.

DYKWIA Apr 7, 11 3:41 pm

Maybe a silly question.... But what does YQ stand for? Is it just another industry acronym that means 'Fuel Surcharge'?

Cheers,
Rick

rufftackle Apr 7, 11 4:14 pm

Applied and got the message that the application would be reviewed within 10 days and notification sent within 30.

Prospero Apr 7, 11 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis (Post 16178675)
Yes and yes. As a matter of fact, you may end up paying slightly more on AA because I remember reading somewhere that "AA YQ" (whatever that means) is treated as taxable by AA, and a number of taxes show up on the AA itinerary that otherwise would not if it were a "real" award ticket.

Edit: I should clarify - the AA flight will have YQ charged on it when redeeming using BA miles. If you were redeeming with AA miles or paying for it with cash, there would be no YQ, since AA doesn't charge YQ.

AA does actually impose a fuel surcharge against its revenue fares on transatlantic and transpacific routes. For example, a business class fare JFK-LHR return on AA, booked on aa.com will include a fuel surcharge of US$ 472.00 which incidentally is the same fuel surcharge BA imposes on the same route.

DWFI Apr 7, 11 7:41 pm

Yes but the difference is that AA does not charge YQ on their awards - or at least they didn't before JBA. A bunch of airlines charge YQ as a fee and not a fare component, but it is not charged to awards for reasons that BA could take a look at.

Hoch Apr 8, 11 8:43 am

YQ, ABC, XYZ...lovely.

Anyway, fuel surcharges and the like I will concede. But I have yet to read a valid reason as
to why BA should absorb government imposed taxes.

H

ma91pmh Apr 8, 11 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Hoch (Post 16182178)
YQ, ABC, XYZ...lovely.

Anyway, fuel surcharges and the like I will concede. But I have yet to read a valid reason as
to why BA should absorb government imposed taxes.

H

Nobody is saying they should. The whole point is the BA imposed fuel surcharge is significantly above other market players.

Hyperacusis Apr 8, 11 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 16178981)
AA does actually impose a fuel surcharge against its revenue fares on transatlantic and transpacific routes. For example, a business class fare JFK-LHR return on AA, booked on aa.com will include a fuel surcharge of US$ 472.00 which incidentally is the same fuel surcharge BA imposes on the same route.

I stand corrected on the amount of fuel surcharge applied, as this is probably post-alignment. However, AA does not use the YQ method of adding fuel surcharge. It is calculated as part of the base fare, and unless you look up the fare rules, you typically don't even see it.