FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   100,000 Mile Bonus For Chase Credit Card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1202422-100-000-mile-bonus-chase-credit-card.html)

Swanhunter Apr 6, 11 3:11 pm

For those new to BA and planning to take advantage of this offer, the thread below is essential reading in conjunction with the rest of the BA Dashboard.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...=clinic+thread

UpliftingSound Apr 6, 11 5:56 pm

If I redeemed BA miles for an itinerary completely on AA metal, would AA notice my AA status automatically? Or would I need to make them aware of it in some way since it would be under my BA number?

IFlyWhenIHave2 Apr 6, 11 6:16 pm

Offer is now up on BA's website. Full offer details are present and easily printable.

I'm a FT newb. I only fly domestic. For business. 3-5 times per year.

As I understand the discussion, BA miles can be used to book award travel on American Airlines. Correct? I assume because they are in an alliance.

Is the relationship 1 to 1. If I get the card and earn the 100K miles, is it effectively the same as having an additional 100K miles in my AA account?

Or is there some value lost when redeeming BA miles to fly AA completely within the U.S.?

Appreciate any help.

DWFI Apr 6, 11 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker (Post 16171026)
You will most likely pay AT MOST 1000$ in taxes and fuel surchages for a business flight to europe.

Given you can buy a return to LHR for about $2400 during the sales, $1000 in taxes+YQ would probably dissuade me from ever redeeming on BA metal again.

Hyperacusis Apr 6, 11 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh (Post 16170246)
Indeed. Basically we will largely get Brits complaining that the yanks are going to take away all their redemption opportunities, which won't happen. And then the yanks complaining about having to pay the extortionate "taxes" to the Brits.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm not sure which is worse - I'm a beneficiary of the original 100k offer myself. YQ doesn't bother me as I only use the miles to MFU, but I think even the stanchest defenders of BA on this board would agree that it is a questionable practice at best. At the same time, the constant "why are the fees so high" complaints do get tiresome, even if it is understandable where they are coming from.

DWFI Apr 6, 11 9:12 pm

People in the US just aren't used to it.

My family is used to redeeming miles on DL and ST to Europe for miles + ~$50pp.
When they asked to use some of my BA miles to get to VIE and I told them that they could, providing they were willing to put down $600pp in fees, I was told that I'm a member of "the most useless frequent flyer program ever."

I just laughed.
It's a question of values.

Wadge Apr 7, 11 7:40 am

Is this only for US residents or Europeans can apply as well? thx

HIDDY Apr 7, 11 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Wadge (Post 16175770)

All the moans and groans have come from N American based members so I guess it is.

Hoch Apr 7, 11 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis (Post 16173622)
[b]ut I think even the stanchest defenders of BA on this board would agree that it is a questionable practice at best.

Wait, what? Why should BA absorb the taxes and other accompanying fees?

H

JimmyInGreatLakes Apr 7, 11 9:56 am

If I am not currently an Executive Club member, should I sign up for a number first before applying for the card or will they automatically enroll me? THanks!

INDFlyer Apr 7, 11 10:16 am

Originally Posted by JimmyInGreatLakes (Post 16176492)
If I am not currently an Executive Club member, should I sign up for a number first before applying for the card or will they automatically enroll me? THanks!

They will automatically assign you a Executive Club number if you don't have one, just apply using the link.

nyjoe4 Apr 7, 11 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Hoch (Post 16176471)
Wait, what? Why should BA absorb the taxes and other accompanying fees?

H

I don't think BA should have to absorb government taxes - but the fees are mostly "fuel surcharges" which, of course, are imposed themselves to generate revenue without officially raising ticket prices.

An air ticket is for transportation from A to B. To charge a passenger a surcharge to use it for what was intended is a bit rich.

As a result, Award tickets are simply discounted tickets.

Sixth Freedom Apr 7, 11 10:33 am

Welcome to FT IFlyWhenIHave2. ^

jenlong Apr 7, 11 10:39 am

I was hoping to take advantage of this because we have an annual ORD-MAN trip for 2 adults, 1 child and 1 infant and 3 possible free tickets would be awesome. But which taxes and fees do they charge exactly? I just looked up both ORD-MAN and ORD-LHR returns on ba.com and total taxes and fees were $550 per person - we flew with US Airways this week for $600 per person total. Obviously this wouldn't work out to well for us! Thanks!

jenlong Apr 7, 11 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Wadge (Post 16175770)

It's a Chase Bank visa card with the BA piece as a perk of the card, so it's only open to people who would normally be able to get a Chase Bank visa card. If you don't live in the US I'd say not.