FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   100,000 Mile Bonus For Chase Credit Card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1202422-100-000-mile-bonus-chase-credit-card.html)

INDFlyer Apr 7, 2011 9:16 am

Originally Posted by JimmyInGreatLakes (Post 16176492)
If I am not currently an Executive Club member, should I sign up for a number first before applying for the card or will they automatically enroll me? THanks!

They will automatically assign you a Executive Club number if you don't have one, just apply using the link.

nyjoe4 Apr 7, 2011 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Hoch (Post 16176471)
Wait, what? Why should BA absorb the taxes and other accompanying fees?

H

I don't think BA should have to absorb government taxes - but the fees are mostly "fuel surcharges" which, of course, are imposed themselves to generate revenue without officially raising ticket prices.

An air ticket is for transportation from A to B. To charge a passenger a surcharge to use it for what was intended is a bit rich.

As a result, Award tickets are simply discounted tickets.

Sixth Freedom Apr 7, 2011 9:33 am

Welcome to FT IFlyWhenIHave2. ^

jenlong Apr 7, 2011 9:39 am

I was hoping to take advantage of this because we have an annual ORD-MAN trip for 2 adults, 1 child and 1 infant and 3 possible free tickets would be awesome. But which taxes and fees do they charge exactly? I just looked up both ORD-MAN and ORD-LHR returns on ba.com and total taxes and fees were $550 per person - we flew with US Airways this week for $600 per person total. Obviously this wouldn't work out to well for us! Thanks!

jenlong Apr 7, 2011 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Wadge (Post 16175770)
Is this only for US residents or Europeans can apply as well? thx

It's a Chase Bank visa card with the BA piece as a perk of the card, so it's only open to people who would normally be able to get a Chase Bank visa card. If you don't live in the US I'd say not.

Hyperacusis Apr 7, 2011 10:12 am

Anybody with a valid US Social Security number and reasonable credit can apply. Usually this means US residents, since having a US-based job is now the only way to apply for a SSN.

Originally Posted by Hoch (Post 16176471)
Wait, what? Why should BA absorb the taxes and other accompanying fees?

H

YQ is not a tax, or a fee imposed upon BA by another authority. It is a fee arbitrarily imposed by BA on fares and awards. Its impact on fares is not much, since most base fares are adjusted down such that the net fare (base fare + YQ) is competitive with other carriers. Where it bites is when it comes to awards, since your miles no longer cover the entirety of the fare, effectively turning your miles-only redemption into a cash+miles (or PCPM in BA terminology) redemption.

pkerr Apr 7, 2011 10:49 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby (Post 16170552)
Please be advised that redemptions on BA are ridiculously expensive. Your 100K miles will get you a redemption in business from US to EU but you will still pay thousands of dollars in taxes and fuel charges. Yes, also if you book on BA.

It looks much better than it is. Really!

PS: If you have posted in this thread you are from now on forbidden to complain about fuel surcharges YQ+ charges etc. You have been warned!

But use your BA miles on AA for the same routing and your costs decrease considerably?

unomos Apr 7, 2011 11:08 am

Okay credit

I have just okay credit and was wondering if you think I would be more likely to get the card if I opted to transfer debt from another credit card? Not sure if this is an incentive for them to give me an account because they are looking to earn interest. Thanks

Hyperacusis Apr 7, 2011 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by pkerr (Post 16177222)
But use your BA miles on AA for the same routing and your costs decrease considerably?

Only on AA domestic. BA charges YQ when redeeming awards on AA metal TATL, TPAC or to South America (ridiculous, since AA doesn't charge YQ on its own awards). Just doesn't pass the smell test.

Captain Schmidt Apr 7, 2011 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis (Post 16177977)
Only on AA domestic. BA charges YQ when redeeming awards on AA metal TATL, TPAC or to South America (ridiculous, since AA doesn't charge YQ on its own awards). Just doesn't pass the smell test.

Out of interest, does anyone know if the YQ charged on AA flights get passed back to AA, or does BA pocket the money?

pkerr Apr 7, 2011 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis (Post 16177977)

So a flight on BA from say, Chicago to LHR and a flight on AA will be the same tax and fee wise?

Does that also apply if flying in J or F?

Hyperacusis Apr 7, 2011 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by pkerr (Post 16178337)
So a flight on BA from say, Chicago to LHR and a flight on AA will be the same tax and fee wise?

Does that also apply if flying in J or F?

Yes and yes. As a matter of fact, you may end up paying slightly more on AA because I remember reading somewhere that "AA YQ" (whatever that means) is treated as taxable by AA, and a number of taxes show up on the AA itinerary that otherwise would not if it were a "real" award ticket.

Edit: I should clarify - the AA flight will have YQ charged on it when redeeming using BA miles. If you were redeeming with AA miles or paying for it with cash, there would be no YQ, since AA doesn't charge YQ.

Hyperacusis Apr 7, 2011 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt (Post 16178010)
Out of interest, does anyone know if the YQ charged on AA flights get passed back to AA, or does BA pocket the money?

Nobody here knows for sure, but given that the YQ charges are set by BA, and scale as BA's YQ scales, it would be reasonable to assume that BA pockets them. The same applies to a number of other OW airlines on which BA charges YQ but AA does not (JL and QF to name two).

Remember, AA does charge fuel surcharges, but these are calculated into the base fare, not outside of it like YQ, so for all intents and purposes they are invisible to the passenger (i.e. they are done right). And to my knowledge, AA's fuel surcharges vary greatly from BA's.

DYKWIA Apr 7, 2011 2:41 pm

Maybe a silly question.... But what does YQ stand for? Is it just another industry acronym that means 'Fuel Surcharge'?

Cheers,
Rick

rufftackle Apr 7, 2011 3:14 pm

Applied and got the message that the application would be reviewed within 10 days and notification sent within 30.

Prospero Apr 7, 2011 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis (Post 16178675)
Yes and yes. As a matter of fact, you may end up paying slightly more on AA because I remember reading somewhere that "AA YQ" (whatever that means) is treated as taxable by AA, and a number of taxes show up on the AA itinerary that otherwise would not if it were a "real" award ticket.

Edit: I should clarify - the AA flight will have YQ charged on it when redeeming using BA miles. If you were redeeming with AA miles or paying for it with cash, there would be no YQ, since AA doesn't charge YQ.

AA does actually impose a fuel surcharge against its revenue fares on transatlantic and transpacific routes. For example, a business class fare JFK-LHR return on AA, booked on aa.com will include a fuel surcharge of US$ 472.00 which incidentally is the same fuel surcharge BA imposes on the same route.

DWFI Apr 7, 2011 6:41 pm

Yes but the difference is that AA does not charge YQ on their awards - or at least they didn't before JBA. A bunch of airlines charge YQ as a fee and not a fare component, but it is not charged to awards for reasons that BA could take a look at.

Hoch Apr 8, 2011 7:43 am

YQ, ABC, XYZ...lovely.

Anyway, fuel surcharges and the like I will concede. But I have yet to read a valid reason as
to why BA should absorb government imposed taxes.

H

ma91pmh Apr 8, 2011 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Hoch (Post 16182178)
YQ, ABC, XYZ...lovely.

Anyway, fuel surcharges and the like I will concede. But I have yet to read a valid reason as
to why BA should absorb government imposed taxes.

H

Nobody is saying they should. The whole point is the BA imposed fuel surcharge is significantly above other market players.

Hyperacusis Apr 8, 2011 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 16178981)
AA does actually impose a fuel surcharge against its revenue fares on transatlantic and transpacific routes. For example, a business class fare JFK-LHR return on AA, booked on aa.com will include a fuel surcharge of US$ 472.00 which incidentally is the same fuel surcharge BA imposes on the same route.

I stand corrected on the amount of fuel surcharge applied, as this is probably post-alignment. However, AA does not use the YQ method of adding fuel surcharge. It is calculated as part of the base fare, and unless you look up the fare rules, you typically don't even see it.

Hoch Apr 8, 2011 7:58 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh (Post 16182209)
Nobody is saying they should. The whole point is the BA imposed fuel surcharge is significantly above other market players.

I had not realised that this was a discussion about microeconomic business decisions :rolleyes: For
the avoidance of doubt, I dislike the fuel surcharge as much as the next person.

My sole point was to question why there is a view that BA should not pass along taxes for
redemption flights. I appreciate that it makes a benefit less so because it has some strings
attached, namely a monetary payment.

H

Captain Schmidt Apr 8, 2011 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Hoch (Post 16182267)
I had not realised that this was a discussion about microeconomic business decisions :rolleyes: For
the avoidance of doubt, I dislike the fuel surcharge as much as the next person.

My sole point was to question why there is a view that BA should not pass along taxes for
redemption flights. I appreciate that it makes a benefit less so because it has some strings
attached, namely a monetary payment.

H

I don't believe anyone has suggested that BA should not pass along taxes - the question is whether or not they should pass on the fuel surcharge (YQ) which is a BA imposed charge, not a government one.

Ross0 Apr 9, 2011 6:33 pm

Anyone know if this offer is still valid? I can't get the link to work when I click on the "Apply Now" link from Britishairways.com US site.

Thanks

triptastic101 Apr 9, 2011 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Ross0 (Post 16190567)
Anyone know if this offer is still valid? I can't get the link to work when I click on the "Apply Now" link from Britishairways.com US site.

Thanks

Worked for me yesterday ...

linda705 Apr 9, 2011 7:46 pm

Newbie here. I am considering applying for this card. I can't figure out the BA website. Does anyone know what the fuel surcharge is RT from HOU to HNL.

Prospero Apr 10, 2011 5:15 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk, linda705,

You can use the ITA website to estimate the amount of taxes/fees/surcharges you can expect to pay on a BAEC redemption.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

For a HOU-HNL coach fare, ITA lists the following taxes/fees:
US Transportation Tax (US) $14.11
US Alaska/Hawaii Departure Tax (US) $16.40
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $10.00
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $16.50
US Flight Segment Tax (ZP) $14.80

Note, not all of the above are fixed fees: the US Transportation Tax is calculated as a percentage of the base fare (7.5%) and thus works out as zero against a redemption fare.

linda705 Apr 10, 2011 11:14 am

Thanks! Thanks for sharing the link to the ITA website.

riposte Apr 10, 2011 11:35 am

Does anyone know if you can still qualify for this offer if you already hold a UA Chase Visa?

infamousdx Apr 10, 2011 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by riposte (Post 16193457)
Does anyone know if you can still qualify for this offer if you already hold a UA Chase Visa?

That is up to Chase but if you don't have too many accounts already open with them (3+), then you should still be approved (credit pending) and you would qualify for this.

guv1976 Apr 10, 2011 1:44 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Prospero

You can use the ITA website to estimate the amount of taxes/fees/surcharges you can expect to pay on a BAEC redemption.

Note, not all of the above are fixed fees: the US Transportation Tax is calculated as a percentage of the base fare (7.5%) and thus works out as zero against a redemption fare.

I believe that some of the fixed fees only apply to cash tickets, so the BA fees for an award ticket HOU-DFW-HNL are likely to be minimal. A dummy booking done at ba.com will display the actual fees.

flyingnomad Apr 10, 2011 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by riposte (Post 16193457)

Having another Chase-issued frequent flyer program card (UA) itself will not cause you to be ineligible for this offer (I have both). As infamousdx has mentioned, it is a function of your total credit relationship with the bank.

rufftackle Apr 10, 2011 5:01 pm

Anyone else get a follow-up call from Chase after submitting the application?

I applied for the BA Visa from my Chase.com account. I just got a call from Chase's fraud department just now to ask a few security questions such as who my car loan was through, a previous address of mine, and some other questions. I don't remember going through any of these questions when I opened up my UA Chase credit card.

After I answered her questions she put me on hold to finish submitting the application and came back saying it was successfully submitted; however the approval decision would be mailed within 14 days.

jenlong Apr 10, 2011 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 16192052)

So an award flight from ORD-HNL on American would just require us to pay these/similar taxes?

rufftackle Apr 13, 2011 3:21 pm

Anyone receive their card yet?

I just called the Chase Credit Card 800# to check the status of my application. The automated system said I was approved, announced my credit line and interest rate, and said I should have received the card by now.

Has anyone else gotten their BA Chase card from this offer? I think last Wednesday was when I applied and then received a follow-up call on Sunday. I wouldn't think this would be enough time to have already received the card.

The system gave me the option to report that I had not received the card, but I chose not to select it as I didn't want the one in transit to be scrapped and have to wait for a re-issue.

Jack Burton Apr 13, 2011 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by rufftackle (Post 16213122)
I just called the Chase Credit Card 800# to check the status of my application. The automated system said I was approved, announced my credit line and interest rate, and said I should have received the card by now.

Has anyone else gotten their BA Chase card from this offer? I think last Wednesday was when I applied and then received a follow-up call on Sunday. I wouldn't think this would be enough time to have already received the card.

The system gave me the option to report that I had not received the card, but I chose not to select it as I didn't want the one in transit to be scrapped and have to wait for a re-issue.

Which 800 number did you call?

infamousdx Apr 13, 2011 9:22 pm

I wasn't aware of this until I asked thepointsguy on his blog but regarding the Companion ticket for spending $30,000 in a year, the year is a CALENDAR year, not an anniversary year from the date you opened the card.

I thought that was handy to know because we're already down 3.5 months in 2011!

bangkokiscool Apr 14, 2011 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Jack Burton (Post 16213232)

Try 888-338-2586

rufftackle Apr 14, 2011 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Jack Burton (Post 16213232)

1-800-432-3117 was the number that I called. I pressed an option for application status and then an option for credit card application status.

donnoyet Apr 14, 2011 11:46 am

get your card expedited for free

you can get your card shipped in two days once its approved.I applied friday . approvedon monday. shipped rapid on tuesday- in my hand on wednesday- happy 100k soon !!added to my households 250k..now time to go trip hunting on ba.com

Jack Burton Apr 14, 2011 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by bangkokiscool (Post 16215961)
Try 888-338-2586

Originally Posted by rufftackle (Post 16217231)
1-800-432-3117 was the number that I called. I pressed an option for application status and then an option for credit card application status.

Thanks for the replies. I found a different CC status number, which gave me the automated "30 days wait, etc, etc".

Then yesterday, logged into my Chase/CO debit account and found a new Chase VISA card listed on my account page, only 2 days after I applied. Nice!