Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT: Taking my Filipina girlfriend to London - realistic?

OT: Taking my Filipina girlfriend to London - realistic?

Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by HIDDY

IIRC Phil the Flyer has a Filipina wife. He might be able to give you some advice on this.
I thank my learned colleague for the introduction. He has obviously been paying some attention.

Sixth Freedom - you are right to imagine that this might be a difficult process. What follows is a summary of my direct relevant experience of the situation you now find yourself in.

The first time (albeit 20 years ago) the future Mrs PtF applied for a UK visit visa to accompany me to the UK she was met with a flat refusal from the British Embassy in Manila. Bottom line - we believe your reasons for entering the UK are to find work.

Twelve months later - after we had married in Cebu - she applied again. Even then she was given a thorough grilling -we even had to supply a copy of the marriage certificate of my parents when we said that the primary reason for her visit was to attend their golden wedding anniversary party. She was granted a single-visit visa.

Subsequent to that visit she applied for, and received, a two-year validity multiple-entry visit visa, then a five-year validity multiple-entry visit visa (we continued to be based overseas during this time). When I subsequently had to accept a single-status overseas posting we applied for a UK settlement visa for Mrs PtF. Upon entering the UK (LHR T3) on this visa she was subject to a medical check (this included a chest x-ray).

After completing a three year UK residency requirement she was able to apply (approx 10 years ago now) for UK citizen status. This she achieved. Incidentally Filipinos/as can retain dual-citizenship.

The bottom line is this - rightly or wrongly single Filipinas are viewed with extreme caution by British Embassy immigration officials.

However, you have chosen wisely. The right Filipina can make you feel 10 feet tall. Just be prepared for a few obstacles along the way.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
The right Filipina can make you feel 10 feet tall.
I would have thought the RIGHT person rather nationality.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Sixth Freedom,

My Fillipina girlfriend regularly visits the UK and with the exception of one occasion we never have a problem with visas. A couple of key recommendations:
  1. If she works make sure she has a letter from her company to say who she works for and that the letter is current
  2. If you are supporting her during her trip, provide details of where and what you will be doing, where you will be staying etc
  3. Provide details of your means to support her - bank statements, payslips etc - they don't like overdrafts, so if you have one tell them it is arranged (this caught me out once)
  4. Apply for the shorest visa length first - don't try to get a multiple entry 2 year visa straightaway
  5. Send a photocopy of you passport with your letter
  6. I would say book the flight before applying and submitt these with the application (CW and F do help) - I always do and make sure you have the time to reapply if it gets rejected
  7. If rejected, phone up and get clarification on why - I did this and it really helped with the application

A little preparation always works with visa applications. Applying for a non-visitors visa is another matter... if you every get to that stage PM me and I'll expalin the pitfalls and hurdles

HKGorBust
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by irishguy28
From the phrases "coming to London with me" and "we will travel in CW" I assumed they would be travelling together.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:26 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Just marry her - problem solved.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by HKGorBust
Sixth Freedom,

My Fillipina girlfriend regularly visits the UK and with the exception of one occasion we never have a problem with visas. A couple of key recommendations:
  1. If she works make sure she has a letter from her company to say who she works for and that the letter is current
  2. If you are supporting her during her trip, provide details of where and what you will be doing, where you will be staying etc
  3. Provide details of your means to support her - bank statements, payslips etc - they don't like overdrafts, so if you have one tell them it is arranged (this caught me out once)
  4. Apply for the shorest visa length first - don't try to get a multiple entry 2 year visa straightaway
  5. Send a photocopy of you passport with your letter
  6. I would say book the flight before applying and submitt these with the application (CW and F do help) - I always do and make sure you have the time to reapply if it gets rejected
  7. If rejected, phone up and get clarification on why - I did this and it really helped with the application

A little preparation always works with visa applications. Applying for a non-visitors visa is another matter... if you every get to that stage PM me and I'll expalin the pitfalls and hurdles

HKGorBust
Welcome to FT.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
I had a rather different problem when bringing my Filipina girlfriend to the UK for a visit --- it turned out that my wife in fact was NOT away that weekend for a spa break
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by Rickers
I had a rather different problem when bringing my Filipina girlfriend to the UK for a visit --- it turned out that my wife in fact was NOT away that weekend for a spa break
Maybe that is the reason for all the visa requirements, to make sure the Mrs is at her spa break with HER bf.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Ironically it all seems much easier visiting the UK as a partner of a non-UK EU National.

My wife is also not a native UK national but we never tried a visit visa, Mrs LoM came to the UK on a (bone fide) student visa and we married before it expired. Apart from a little moderate pain from UK Immigration (I am not sure they are different from any public sector body with a degree of power in that respect) we had no issues.

If you have your own business it may be that she would need to visit the UK for business reasons which may attract slightly less scrutiny but YMMV.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, LH Miles & More, AF/KLM Flying Blue, Le Club Accorhotels, Tesco Clubcard
The folks on this forum can be a good source of information, if interested:

http://www.ukresident.com/forums/
Old Apr 5, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Reading all these stories makes my USA green card application like a real easy thing. Although I have to admit I am german and not Filipino.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, LH Miles & More, AF/KLM Flying Blue, Le Club Accorhotels, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by Gshumway
Reading all these stories makes my USA green card application like a real easy thing. Although I have to admit I am german and not Filipino.
^ Just less than a week ago we obtained Indefinite Leave to Remain (aka Permenant Residency) for Mrs SCB. The application ruled our lives for several weeks and was the cause of a great deal of stress, sleepless nights and not to mention expense (GBP 1250 for the permit).

It therefore makes my blood boil slightly to see how my compatriots are constantly whinging à la Daily Fail about Britain 'letting anyone in' etc etc.

Whilst by no means impossible, as other have pointed out one has to be careful to show all requirements are met (for instance we never held back in providing copious amounts of documents to prove finances/accommodation/employment etc). Do this and you should be fine.

Good luck!
Old Apr 5, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by BA6501
As they are two minors, just friends, entering alone...

My son is "harassed" when arriving alone.
Really? As a UK citizen he cannot be kept out of the country (nor, for that matter, can his friend as an EU citizen).

How was he harassed?
Old Apr 5, 2011, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by SteelCityBoy
^ Just less than a week ago we obtained Indefinite Leave to Remain (aka Permenant Residency) for Mrs SCB. The application ruled our lives for several weeks and was the cause of a great deal of stress, sleepless nights and not to mention expense (GBP 1250 for the permit).

It therefore makes my blood boil slightly to see how my compatriots are constantly whinging à la Daily Fail about Britain 'letting anyone in' etc etc.

Whilst by no means impossible, as other have pointed out one has to be careful to show all requirements are met (for instance we never held back in providing copious amounts of documents to prove finances/accommodation/employment etc). Do this and you should be fine.

Good luck!
Congratulations to your wife and you. It must be a huge relief.

Usually when people complain about 'immigration', it is because they are racist and aren't smart enough to realise it.

I have been told on more than one occasion that I'm not a 'real' immigrant because I'm white and speak English as my first language.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by ajax
Congratulations to your wife and you. It must be a huge relief.
+ 1

Originally Posted by ajax
Usually when people complain about 'immigration', it is because they are racist and aren't smart enough to realise it.
I think that's a little harsh (though I note your subsequent sentence makes light of the above) to be honest. Sorry.

You should take a visit to a shopping area near me to see!

It does seem so much easier for some nationalities to get a visa, whilst others whose situations are entirely legit have to struggle so hard.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.