BA Executive Club NA "assistance" - My journey

Old Apr 4, 11, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
BA Executive Club NA "assistance" - My journey

Hi,
First time posting here on the BA board but I thought that this story might be of interest to some of you! I've attached the e-mail I sent to BA customer relations - it really summarizes the story. I didn't hear back from anyone directly but within a couple of weeks they had removed the 2,663 "gratis" miles from my account and replaced it with 5000 "gratis" miles. I really enjoy BA both on the ground and in the air... my experiences with multiple people in the NA call centre have been far less impressive! I'm interested to hear some your thoughts!

To whom it may concern:
I'm a Silver member of the Executive Club (#xxx). On 12 October 2010, I flew from Toronto to San Francisco (via Dallas) on American Airlines flights. While I was awarded the base mileage (2,663), I did not receive the additional 2,663 miles I'm entitled to through the Silver bonus mileage scheme.
Subsequently, I made a number of calls to the Executive Club office located in the US to try and claim those miles. On 12 January 2011, [a representative] from British Airways called me regarding a conversation we had the previous week and assured me she would call me when the matter was resolved in "5 or 6 days" (this information is contained in a voice mail message that I've saved). I never heard from her again. On January 26, a supervisor at the US Executive Club office, left a message assuring me that he would call me the following day to update me on the situation. I received no such call and have saved that message as well. On February 11, another supervisor, called me to tell me the request had been submitted again and told me he would call me the following Wednesday. I saved that message and never heard back from him.
I discovered that today, on 23 February 2011 (months after the flights), I was credited with those miles (2,663 and an additional 2,663 presumably to compensate me for the inconvenience). While I'm pleased to finally receive the miles, I'm also deeply disappointed in the handling of the situation. Frankly, I don't think that the several hours of my time spent on the phone (mostly on hold) with the BA Executive Club office is adequately recognized through an additional 2,663 miles. More importantly, I don't appreciate your employees making promises that they failed to keep. While a small number of miles in the grand scheme of things, I am troubled as a matter of principal. This is no way to treat one of your better customers and has given me pause as I consider both my business and personal bookings in the upcoming months. I would appreciate, at the very least, an apology and explanation for the aforementioned errors.

I hope that you review BA's internal communication processes so that this sort of mistake does not happen again. Indeed, I was told by all of the above people that I had no further recourse other than to wait indefinitely for the miles to be credited. I appreciate your taking the time to consider my situation and look forward to hearing back from you.

Yours sincerely,

xxx

Last edited by Prospero; Apr 4, 11 at 5:42 pm Reason: Remove names of BA employees per http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q69
Old Apr 4, 11, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have had very similar problems claiming missing miles twice in the last year. It is literally taking months to receive a reply to e-mails and chasing by phone is just a very frustrating experience. Easier to understand during the volcanic ash and strike periods as I'm sure they were overloaded with requests for refunds and rebookings etc. but no excuse now and I have been waiting since January for a reply to my latest e-mail. Like you I'm very happy with the BA product but the back-up from customer service is very poor at times.
Old Apr 4, 11, 4:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
Same experience with EC in NA three years ago - flights on AA showed up in Y on my account, though I had flown F/J. Flights on LAN did not show up at all. Took several months to solve this and I went through several supervisors. They always blamed some back office in the UK; but the lack of response from their side is clearly the mistake of EC in NA. Very poor customer service, indeed. Now, that I live in NL, no bad experiences yet - but I am flying AA next week, let's see how'll that show up on my account.
Old Apr 4, 11, 6:55 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), SPG (Gold), MR (Gold)
I have found the (lack of) service from the NA BAEC office utterly shocking on the few occasions I have had the deep misfortune to have to contact them. After the inevitable long hold times I have fund that their agents, and the agents' supervisors, seriously lacking in terms of knowledge and willingness to help. I have had to resort to Flyertalk to find my answers instead, or call the UK call centre.
Old Apr 4, 11, 9:55 am

Programs: AA3MMEXP, BAGold,UA1MMPremGold,FBSilver, MarriottAmb, AccorPlat, HHGold, ICPlatAmb, HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
I have had to resort to Flyertalk to find my answers instead, or call the UK call centre.
Is your BAEC account registered in the US? Every time I've called the UK call centre they've told me I had to deal with the NA office.
Old Apr 4, 11, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
Originally Posted by rfrost View Post
Is your BAEC account registered in the US? Every time I've called the UK call centre they've told me I had to deal with the NA office.
I think you can call any call centre you want for questions. However, if you want to do bookings and therelike, then you have to go to your assigned centre. At least that's my experience. I find this very unfortunate. Compare this to LH where you can call any call centre in the world for help. At least as SEN.
Old Apr 4, 11, 11:03 am

About 7 years ago my wife and I were upgraded to World Traveler Plus returning to New York from Bordeaux via LHR. The result of that was that my wife's BAEC account showed no credit for the return flight whatsoever and after a year of phone calls, faxes with the boarding passes to the last person I had spoken to, I just gave up. It pained me to have to do it but there is only so much time you can give to talking to people who do not want to give you the credit that you are due
Old Apr 4, 11, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Typical BA -big things right, the easy bits they often get so wrong and it leaves a sour taste.

The irony is that I think it's more BA's systems as opposed to individuals. There are countless people working in contact centres right now who really do their best with what they have to offer -it just feels as though they're not empowered. I also don't know much about BA's computer system(s) but it strikes me that they are quite complex -I guess it's to be expected with a business where they have to interface with OW partners and franchisees etc.
Old Apr 4, 11, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I can only say that during "Strike 2" last Spring, the service I got from the NA BAEC guy was exemplary. He did everything he possibly could to get us home from the DC area.

YMMV, and is why I always re-call if I don't like the answer I get first time and NEVER wait for someone to call me back.
Old Apr 4, 11, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN View Post
Typical BA -big things right, the easy bits they often get so wrong and it leaves a sour taste.

The irony is that I think it's more BA's systems as opposed to individuals. There are countless people working in contact centres right now who really do their best with what they have to offer -it just feels as though they're not empowered. I also don't know much about BA's computer system(s) but it strikes me that they are quite complex -I guess it's to be expected with a business where they have to interface with OW partners and franchisees etc.
I think that's a fair analysis... the system is more at fault than the individuals. I suggested at one point that we conference call the supervisor's contact in the UK (he kept saying he had sent the request across the pond). I was suprised when he told me he had no one he knew of to contact! They just send e-mails. Clearly the system is flawed. Still, I think some of the individuals are directly to blame for failing to keep their word and call me back (even as a courtesy to say that they're still waiting).

Search this Thread