Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

G-BNLU [and other parked 747-436s] return from the desert

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

G-BNLU [and other parked 747-436s] return from the desert

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
The return of NLV will allow BA to use a 747 on the DFW route. That is not the same as assigning NLV to the DFW route. Expect to see it in many places - though not all at once!
Maybe you should tell BT that

According to reports out this week, the B747 in question will be used on BA’s Dallas flight as part of its winter timetable, starting in October – a sure sign that extra capacity is needed on US routes.
I'm not sure they understand
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:53 am

Programs: BAEC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Gold Passport, Tesco clubcard!
Second Jumbo is on its way back this article states.....

British Airways will restore a second 747-400 to its winter timetable in October after recalling one in May for use on its London-New York route

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/1...nd-united.html

Of the 112 jumbos mothballed since the start of last year at victorville, 40 have yet to be recalled, according to figures from Ascend.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I didn't save the image, but I could have sworn that I saw G-BNLV operating BA55 LHR-JNB this evening - seen whilst waiting for G-STBA to appear on the LHR "radar". But it may just have been my eyes misreading what was on the screen.

Ironically, G-STBA's routing was being wrongly transmitted as KVCV-EGFF.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 2:12 pm

It was G-BNLY. G-BNLV is still at Cardiff.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Thanks - I thought it might be too good to be true.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 8:08 am

A sign of the better times?

Yesterday when dropping by a bag-drop desk in a quiet T5 I noticed there was a printed bulletin to all Passengers on flights 117 and 183.
They are both New York bound.

These where handed out to all PAX on these flights this day due to heavy overselling. BA where offering 600EUR for people who volunteered to be bumped. The lovely agent said the New York flights have been very busy for a while now.

This combined with the fact planes are being re-called from storage makes you wonder; can BA and it's competitors finally claim the worst is behind them?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Petrus
Yesterday when dropping by a bag-drop desk in a quiet T5 I noticed there was a printed bulletin to all Passengers on flights 117 and 183.
They are both New York bound.

These where handed out to all PAX on these flights this day due to heavy overselling. BA where offering 600EUR for people who volunteered to be bumped. The lovely agent said the New York flights have been very busy for a while now.

This combined with the fact planes are being re-called from storage makes you wonder; can BA and it's competitors finally claim the worst is behind them?
Hopefully, and it might mean that there are more 747's running around with NF as it would be daft not to fit that at the same time as they are given a thorough going over on their return.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
my guess would be that we will see all stored 744's back in service within the next 9-12 months to help increase capacity to places like JFK which will in turn free up 772's for other things, perhaps ex LGW ?
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:25 am

British Airways Accelerates Return of Jumbo Jets After Traveling Rebounds

One of the 747s will be used instead of a Boeing 777 for flights from the U.K. capital’s Heathrow airport to Dallas, freeing up the smaller plane to operate a seventh daily flight to New York John F. Kennedy International Airport, as disclosed in August, British Airways spokesman James von der Fecht said.

“The second 747 is expected to be introduced into our summer 2011 schedule, but the destination it will serve hasn’t yet been decided,” he said.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...-rebounds.html
Old Sep 30, 2010, 2:58 am

G-BNLU

NLU is to be returned to service from the desert. It will need a heavy maintenance check and will be fitted with the new Prime cabin. It should appear in service sometime during summer '11.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 4:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
NLU is to be returned to service from the desert. It will need a heavy maintenance check and will be fitted with the new Prime cabin. It should appear in service sometime during summer '11.
Good News!
fingers crossed that they all head back!
cs
Old Sep 30, 2010, 4:45 am
Suspended

Programs: OWE, Hilton GOLD and counting
They should use NLV to Las Vegas route.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by IC6A
They should use NLV to Las Vegas route.
now that could well be a very good possibility !
im pretty sure that we will see NLV at LAS now!

does anyone have an update on how NLV is getting on with the checks and refit ? and any news on any more 744's heading back ?

cs
Old Dec 23, 2010, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
now that could well be a very good possibility !
im pretty sure that we will see NLV at LAS now!

does anyone have an update on how NLV is getting on with the checks and refit ? and any news on any more 744's heading back ?

cs
well it seems i can answer my own question !
Jethros is reporting that NLV ferried CWL-LHR on the 22nd December

is it pretty safe to assume that NF would of been fitted to her during her checks prior to re entering service ?

cs
Old Dec 24, 2010, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
well it seems i can answer my own question !
Jethros is reporting that NLV ferried CWL-LHR on the 22nd December

is it pretty safe to assume that NF would of been fitted to her during her checks prior to re entering service ?

cs
And she appears to have operated a round trip to JNB on 23/24 Dec. Well and truly back in the fleet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.