Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

G-BNLU [and other parked 747-436s] return from the desert

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

G-BNLU [and other parked 747-436s] return from the desert

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:04 am

Programs: BA Exec, Flying Blue
BA to dust off desert aircraft

Cannot see this already posted anywhere and thought it worth a mention.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...esert-aircraft

djkenrob
Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by djkenrob
Cannot see this already posted anywhere and thought it worth a mention.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...esert-aircraft

djkenrob
from what i understand the aircraft in question has already been ferried back to the UK and is currently at CWL awaiting checks and refitting etc prior to re-entering service.

there is a thread somewhere on it

cs
Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by cornishsimon

there is a thread somewhere on it
this one?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...bnlv-back.html
Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:27 am

This is great news indeed. More 747 is better!

Thanks for doing the work PtF
Threads merged.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Petrus

Always glad to assist this forum's wonderful Mods!
Old Aug 15, 2010, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I would guess that some extensive maintenance will be done at CWL prior to any bird re-entering service from a period in the Sun, you are correct that they would also no doubt require heavy checks which would so be done at CWL.

my guess would be that these frames will be re-fitted with NF as part of this as i cant see the point in the same bird ending up back at CWL further down the road to get that fitted. And im pretty sure that it was suggested in a previous thread that some if not all of the seats were removed before these frames went to the desert? i could be wrong and it could of been just the 2 stored at CWL.

CS
I would have thought that the fact the plane had been stripped down internally would allow them to perform the work necessary for a C check. It may even be mandatory after having a holiday in the sun (I'm not in aviation mechanics so don't know) and therefore this would allow them time to fit NF. Having read the BT article it seems the DFW F pax are in for a treat in October.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)

Threads merged.
Totally agree, thanks PTF, i was only online for a short time earlier and didnt have time to search at that time!

As for the need for c checks on return, werent the birds that were sent to the desert the ones that were getting towards major checks and as such cheaper to ship them off for a little holiday until needed rather than checking them and sending another bird on holiday ?

Also, From what i understand from a little reading on other forums and this one, it very much depends on what the aircraft operator pay the storage facility to do when storing an aircraft, for example at VCV. If its expected the aircraft could be returned to service fairly short term the storage facility is able to keep the aircraft fairly airworthy, i think it depends what the aircraft operator is willing to pay for storage and future needs of said aircraft.

cs
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:08 am

No, the ones sent to VCV had nothing but the avionics.
Not sure thats right, the only ones I'm aware of having seats etc removed was the ones that stayed at CWL.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 5:08 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad

Threads merged.
+ seconded^
Old Aug 16, 2010, 6:58 am

Totally agree, thanks PTF, i was only online for a short time earlier
Happy to oblige. I know what it's like west of the Tamar - a pint in one hand, a pasty in the other, and internet access rationed to 30 minutes a day.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Blue,VFC Gold,Amex Prem Plus,Amex Gold
Totally agree, thanks PTF, i was only online for a short time earlier and didnt have time to search at that time!

As for the need for c checks on return, werent the birds that were sent to the desert the ones that were getting towards major checks and as such cheaper to ship them off for a little holiday until needed rather than checking them and sending another bird on holiday ?

Also, From what i understand from a little reading on other forums and this one, it very much depends on what the aircraft operator pay the storage facility to do when storing an aircraft, for example at VCV. If its expected the aircraft could be returned to service fairly short term the storage facility is able to keep the aircraft fairly airworthy, i think it depends what the aircraft operator is willing to pay for storage and future needs of said aircraft.

cs
I would have thought it would definitely make sense to fly aircraft that are in need of very heavy maintenance to the desert. A 'C' check is quite big although if it were a 'D' check then it will take many many weeks/months to get one flying in service.
The storage facility will have weekly storage check maintenance to carry out on the aircraft. What needs to be carried out on these checks is stipulated in the Boeing Maintenance Manual so BA would have to pay for this service. This requires weekly checks to be done on the aircraft. These vary from moving the plane around to rotate the tyres to apu and engine ground runs.
If BA had not asked for storage checks to be carried out then it would have taken months of work just to get the aircraft airworthy enough for a ferry flight to CWL, and I would imagine it would be uneconomical. If BA ever even thought they would need these 74's again then they would have been being cared for from day one.^
Old Aug 18, 2010, 2:50 am

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I would have thought that the fact the plane had been stripped down internally would allow them to perform the work necessary for a C check. It may even be mandatory after having a holiday in the sun (I'm not in aviation mechanics so don't know) and therefore this would allow them time to fit NF. Having read the BT article it seems the DFW F pax are in for a treat in October.
I can't imagine BA dedicating a particular 747 to a specific route. It's too inflexible, for one thing. I could be wrong, though.

I think the point is that using 747s to Dallas requires the return to service of a stored 747 unless a comparable route is being "downgraded" from 747 to 777. I think G-BNLV will be used across the 747 network. (When BA operated a mixture of 747s, the older -136s with their relatively shorter range were used on shorter hops, like Heathrow to Montreal and Toronto.)

As an aside, I, too, am a great 747 fan and remember my first BOAC 747 flights in 1972. It's such a pity that the economics of operating it compared, say, with the 777-300, mean that its days are numbered.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 5:53 am

I have a vague recollection that NLV and the other VCV jumbos were all due a D3 Check and if I am correct will require at least 4-5 months at CWL before a return to service will happen. Perhaps Jumbodriver knows more?
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Seat64A
I can't imagine BA dedicating a particular 747 to a specific route. It's too inflexible, for one thing. I could be wrong, though.

I think the point is that using 747s to Dallas requires the return to service of a stored 747 unless a comparable route is being "downgraded" from 747 to 777. I think G-BNLV will be used across the 747 network. (When BA operated a mixture of 747s, the older -136s with their relatively shorter range were used on shorter hops, like Heathrow to Montreal and Toronto.)

As an aside, I, too, am a great 747 fan and remember my first BOAC 747 flights in 1972. It's such a pity that the economics of operating it compared, say, with the 777-300, mean that its days are numbered.
It's in the BT article that this is going to be used on the DFW route I was merely quoting from that.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:32 am

The return of NLV will allow BA to use a 747 on the DFW route. That is not the same as assigning NLV to the DFW route. Expect to see it in many places - though not all at once!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.