Upper Deck for Blues bagged 9 months out

Old Mar 31, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
Originally Posted by J-Class
In my experience, BA's seating system will automatically seat groups booked under the same PNR together. If BA try to seat your screaming chiild by itself next to some grandee, then I submit the resulting situation is more of a problem for BA than it is for you. But no doubt BA will be happy to have your £320 if you want to hand it to them.

I think the money for seating policy is another example of great customer segmentation. Question: are you a sucker who's willing to pay lots of money for a seat we're going to give you anyway? If No - then fine; bon voyage. If yes - then thanks for your friendly contribution to our bottom line...

The JFK flights - BA did say it wouldn't permit seat-selling on the UD; but seems to have forgotten its promise. Never mind, it's only the most important route on the network...
Sadly J-Class, this is where our experiences differ --- last year, travelling CE on revenue tickets, I decided to take the chance that all would be well, and that the 4 of us on the same PNR would be fine, so did not pay to pre-allocate.

The day before travel, our seats were liberally scattered around the 7 rows of Club like litter blowing in the wind, and no seats left to buy that put us together.

Therefore, I have decided to join the ranks of the "silly", as so eloquently put by my old sausage-munching friend HIDDY !
Old Mar 31, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC: SILVER. BMIDC SILVER
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
And sadly they also allow 64K to be purchassed, and this is one of the most popular seats up there. Even BA know that from the survey they did.
You've answered your own question (even though you didn't ask one).

By leaving 'premium' seats available for purchase they make more money from blues paying for it, and that's the whole point of the exercise.

As a blue, I've experienced 64K once - managed to get it at T-24. Sure, it's a very, very good seat but it's not worth £80 more than any other CW seat.

In the argument I think I'm with the Golds; I disagree with having to pay to select seats in any event. Especially in CW.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by andygeog
Sure, it's a very, very good seat but it's not worth £80 more than any other CW seat.
Indeed...

For the regular guy on work travel who just wants to hide and be alone it is a good seat.
As a leisure passenger I don't see the point in shelling out £80 for it.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Indeed...

For the regular guy on work travel who just wants to hide and be alone it is a good seat.
As a leisure passenger I don't see the point in shelling out £80 for it.
Unable to get a seat choice on a recent itin I ended up in 11K on a 777. Absolutely perfect. Pre flight dining, glass of champers, privacy screen up then bed flat and 6hrs sleep in my little cocoon.

Job done!
Old Apr 1, 2011, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by HIDDY

each individual has there own circumstances.
HIDDY - you might consider spending the GBP80 on English lessons.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
HIDDY - you might consider spending the GBP80 on English lessons.
You do realise that HIDDY will now spend the next few hours scouring your past posts, looking for spelling mistakes?
Old Apr 1, 2011, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Paralytic
You do realise that HIDDY will now spend the next few hours scouring your past posts, looking for spelling mistakes?
If it reduces his frequency of posting here I'll consider that 'a result'.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 7:52 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Watch it Mr Goldie, 'es a Premier now innit!
Old Apr 1, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hyatt, Marriot, HHonors
OP up and got 64K

Does it mean that 64K is not that popular or someone just did not turn up for the flight?
Old Apr 1, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
So next week I'm travelling to/from the US on a booking that was made several weeks ago. At the time I booked 62A both ways (I'm a GCH). This morning I checked my booking to find that I'd been dumped onto the lower deck for some reason. I sent an email to GGL asking why this happened and they replied that because the tickets had not been issued by my travel agent yet the system doesn't know that I am definitely flying and therefore the seats can be altered. They advised that I speak with my travel agent as the booking has no ticket numbers (yet).

Is this a reasonable response or a load of hokum? It's the first time it's happened to me in many years of flying and I'm not aware that this reservation has been made in a dissimilar manner to any of my previous reservations.

Not impressed!
Old Apr 1, 2011, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Rickers
when travelling with the family it is worth the £320 to me for peace of mind
If you couldn't get 4 seats together for free at OLCI, I'm pretty sure that getting onto the plane with £320 in cash in your pocket will soon achieve the desired result ....

I read an article last week (WSJ?) where the writer (on a US Y long haul) had paid a kid $50 to swap seats because someone had reclined into his face.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Getafix
Does it mean that 64K is not that popular or someone just did not turn up for the flight?
I got op-up'd to 64K once. I presumed the previous occupant had been op-up'd to First. I think that's more likely than someone not turning up.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
Originally Posted by Raffles
If you couldn't get 4 seats together for free at OLCI, I'm pretty sure that getting onto the plane with £320 in cash in your pocket will soon achieve the desired result ....

I read an article last week (WSJ?) where the writer (on a US Y long haul) had paid a kid $50 to swap seats because someone had reclined into his face.
True, Raffles -- but then I wouldn't be able to use my BA Amex !
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:18 am

Programs: BA, SAA and HHonors Pleb
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
And sadly they also allow 64K to be purchassed, and this is one of the most popular seats up there. Even BA know that from the survey they did.
Having flown at the back for most of my flying life, last December was the first time I had the opportunity to do CW. now if I wasn't a lurker at the time (before I joined) I would not have known that 64K was "THE" seat (sometimes even preferable to F) I would never have even thought about the UD. Imagine my surprise when, as a blue, I'm looking at all the seats and see the that the 56 (JNB LHR) has 64K open. Now am I going to pass the opportunity up? No. Never. Not even if I had to pay for it! (to add insult to injury to the Golds I switched between 64A and K twice as I was deliberating which seat would be better!!!!)

cue the abuse.....
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Paralytic
I got op-up'd to 64K once. I presumed the previous occupant had been op-up'd to First. I think that's more likely than someone not turning up.
I've been lucky enough to be op-up'd to F out of 64K once.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.