Card about to expire but benefits still shown

Old Mar 30, 11, 8:14 am
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Posts: 1,649
Card about to expire but benefits still shown

OK, this is probably a daft question to which I already know the answer, but I'm going to ask it anyway in case anyone has had an experience which defies accepted wisdom (and I don't mean drunken experiences with CC ).

So, my treasured Silver card expires on Friday but the booking I have for next week implies that I will still enjoy privileges. Of course I shouldn't, and don't expect them, because I suspect the ba.com system is just looking at Now instead of Next Week.

However I just wonder if anyone has found that a booking made before their card expires has resulted in unexpected 'extended privileges'?
dark_horse is offline  
Old Mar 30, 11, 8:17 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Posts: 7,088
Although your card may expire next week - presumably 8th April, you are still entitled to the tier benefits until 31st May.

Enjoy whilst ye may!
OPebble is offline  
Old Mar 30, 11, 8:30 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Programs: MUCCI
Posts: 833
Maybe you'll get a letter dated April 1 congratulating you on becoming a GGL member....
Short Final is offline  
Old Mar 30, 11, 10:51 am
  #4  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Posts: 1,649
Originally Posted by OPebble View Post
Although your card may expire next week - presumably 8th April, you are still entitled to the tier benefits until 31st May.
No such luck, the year has already passed and I've been enjoying the grace period since 8th February. It doesn't matter - with the change in the LGW-JER schedule there's a very good chance I'll have to make more use of FlyBe in future anyway!
dark_horse is offline  
Old Apr 1, 11, 7:46 am
  #5  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Posts: 1,649
Well, the dreaded day has come and my ba.com login has gone all blue.

Just for future reference for anyone who wonders, the booking I'd already made for last week has changed slightly in that:
  • There's no longer any mention of lounge access
  • I am now invited to pay for seating, though thankfully I'd already made my selection.

The latter point is actually quite irritating, as our company has moved from using a TA to doing it ourselves. Thus, I no longer get the choice of seats I once did for free (even as Blue).

The rest of it ... ah well, it was good while it lasted.
dark_horse is offline  
Old Apr 1, 11, 12:09 pm
  #6  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Earth
Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Posts: 10,985
Originally Posted by dark_horse View Post
  • I am now invited to pay for seating, though thankfully I'd already made my selection.
Please keep an eye on any seats you've assigned.

I don't know for sure but have heard some people lost their seating assignments when they went from silver to blue.
sunrisegirl is offline  
Old Apr 1, 11, 12:40 pm
  #7  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Posts: 8,523
Originally Posted by dark_horse View Post
The rest of it ... ah well, it was good while it lasted.
I'm sure it was and one day you never know, you'll be back up there. Even the most FF's here will one day turn blue and have to mingle with the 'great unwashed'. I still find that a very few people DO believe Y passengers are but it is quite a funny phrase/term.
PETER01 is offline  
Old Apr 1, 11, 1:10 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Argentina
Programs: BAEC/IB
Posts: 37,835
Originally Posted by PETER01 View Post
I'm sure it was and one day you never know, you'll be back up there. Even the most FF's here will one day turn blue and have to mingle with the 'great unwashed'. I still find that a very few people DO believe Y passengers are but it is quite a funny phrase/term.
Other names I've heard us being called.

Plebs.
The masses.
Gate lice.
Chavs.
Commoners.

Any others?
HIDDY is offline  
Old Apr 1, 11, 2:48 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wild Wiltshire
Programs: GGL, Cats protection
Posts: 3,371
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Other names I've heard us being called.

Plebs.
The masses.
Gate lice.
Chavs.
Commoners.

Any others?
Hiddys ?
pinkcat is offline  
Old Apr 2, 11, 2:29 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London and Zurich
Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Posts: 13,609
Originally Posted by dark_horse View Post
I am now invited to pay for seating, though thankfully I'd already made my selection.
A 'what if?' question: if you've already selected the AC pair at the front of ET and the curtain is shifted, do you have to pay to reserve the new AC pair?
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl View Post
I don't know for sure but have heard some people lost their seating assignments when they went from silver to blue.
Another 'what if?' question: can you pay to re-reserve those seats? It's barely worth bothering about in ET but it could be relevant in CW.

Those questions are almost rhetorical as I don't see myself paying for seat reservations.

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Any others?
I'm trying to think of a snappy way of saying 'those who pay for their own tickets'.
Roger is offline  
Old Apr 2, 11, 2:40 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SE1, London
Posts: 21,841
Normals
Civilians
Peasants

great quote from Rudyard Kipling

The people like us are We, and everyone else is They.
Swanhunter is offline  
Old Apr 4, 11, 3:30 am
  #12  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Posts: 1,649
Originally Posted by PETER01 View Post
I'm sure it was and one day you never know, you'll be back up there.
I'm considering writing a little obituary for my status (though more as a tongue-in-cheek way of pointing out that achieving or maintaining it isn't the end of the world).

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl View Post
I don't know for sure but have heard some people lost their seating assignments when they went from silver to blue.
Thanks for the tip, sunrisegirl. They seem OK at the moment, but I will know more when I check-in for the outbound later today. Then again one seat I'd reserved was in the back-row (they put stairs at the aft door at JER) so hardly the most popular!

Originally Posted by Roger View Post
A 'what if?' question: if you've already selected the AC pair at the front of ET and the curtain is shifted, do you have to pay to reserve the new AC pair?
I've been there when the curtain has gone both forward and backwards. In each case I ended up back behind the curtain again automatically (though in the case of the former I thought I had been upgraded, as ground staff came on to adjust the curtain only after I'd taken my seat!

Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Another 'what if?' question: can you pay to re-reserve those seats? It's barely worth bothering about in ET but it could be relevant in CW.
I am certainly being invited to pay for seats now, so I presume that if you do get moved, and reserved seats for free before losing status, then you could pay for re-reserve them if you were quick.

Originally Posted by Roger View Post
I'm trying to think of a snappy way of saying 'those who pay for their own tickets'.
Les Miserables?!
dark_horse is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread