Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Clinic Thread Why is BAs award availability so bad? And why are the fees so high?

Clinic Thread Why is BAs award availability so bad? And why are the fees so high?

Old Sep 10, 17, 6:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I too am looking for 2 seats in F to Vegas or anywhere near Vegas on either 3rd or 4th October.

Using a 241 and have my flight home sorted. On the way out we are on the LGW to OAK service in J.

As well as LAS would consider F to any of LAX, SAN, PHX, SJC, SFO, SEA or even DEN.

Any way i can asses my chances on either of these routes?

Im holding off buying my connection on South West from OAK to LAS but will have to pull the trigger soon as im sure the price will climb as it gets nearer.
Old May 29, 18, 5:33 am

Dear experts! I hope you can assist me here.

I would like to book 2 F seats for MAN-LHR-SIN next August using a 2-4-1 Amex voucher.
I understand this is an extremely popular route, and even if 2F seats are available (and I also understand this is not a guarantee) they may go very quickly.
I also understand seats become available at t-355.

A couple of years ago I was a comparatively regular reader on this forum, and I seem to recall reading something to the effect that the best bet was to phone an open service office (somewhere in the world other than the UK) at midnight, t-355 days for your outward journey, book a single - and then phone them again at t-355 of your return and add that portion.

So, Q1 - does this recollection represent correct information and/or are there any other hints or tips you could add (for example, id it easy to add the return booking after essentially "spending" the voucher on the outward flight?
Q2 - If I were to manage to get the seats on the outbound in F, and then nothing were available for the return, could one return in J on the same 2-4-1 voucher?
Q3 - I see that there is still availability as we speak for 2F's through May - from the experience of the experts here, do you know whether there would be a good chance of 2Fs being released into August (and if you could tell me the length of a piece of string, that would be handy as well :-))

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Last edited by mjghughes; May 29, 18 at 5:35 am Reason: html tags were added for some reason
Old May 29, 18, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mjghughes View Post

I would like to book 2 F seats for MAN-LHR-SIN next August using a 2-4-1 Amex voucher.
I understand this is an extremely popular route, and even if 2F seats are available (and I also understand this is not a guarantee) they may go very quickly.

A couple of years ago I was a comparatively regular reader on this forum, and I seem to recall reading something to the effect that the best bet was to phone an open service office (somewhere in the world other than the UK) at midnight, t-355 days for your outward journey, book a single - and then phone them again at t-355 of your return and add that portion.

So, Q1 - does this recollection represent correct information and/or are there any other hints or tips you could add (for example, id it easy to add the return booking after essentially "spending" the voucher on the outward flight?
Q2 - If I were to manage to get the seats on the outbound in F, and then nothing were available for the return, could one return in J on the same 2-4-1 voucher?
Q3 - I see that there is still availability as we speak for 2F's through May - from the experience of the experts here, do you know whether there would be a good chance of 2Fs being released into August (and if you could tell me the length of a piece of string, that would be handy as well :-))

Sorry, just a brief reply to your questions from me, but do check the 2-4-1 thread which has lots more information BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Q1 - yes, book at 355 and add the return when that becomes available, be aware that only J seats are guaranteed to be released at 355, F may come later
Q2 - yes you can do F out and J back, if F becomes available later just call to change (35 change fee per person and extra avios)
Old May 29, 18, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mjghughes View Post

Remember to keep your eye on KUL - a great aircraft also, and a cheap quick hope from SIN with plenty of airlines to choose from
sunshinebob likes this.
Old May 29, 18, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
Remember to keep your eye on KUL - a great aircraft also, and a cheap quick hope from SIN with plenty of airlines to choose from
+1

I can confirm that there is LOADS* more F award seats available to/from KL than there is to/from Singapore

*loads is a made up amount based on the fact I can always get F award seats to or from KUL but often not to/from Singapore
Old May 30, 18, 2:44 am

Thank you all for your responses. I will definitely look at KUL, as the purpose of the flight is to get out to South East Asia, and fly on to other destinations - so SIN was just the obvious (in my mind) destination.

And big thanks to KARFA as well - that was exactly the thread I was looking for but without success previously.

Much appreciated.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: