Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Clinic Thread Why is BAs award availability so bad? And why are the fees so high?

Clinic Thread Why is BAs award availability so bad? And why are the fees so high?

Old May 1, 11, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Roger View Post
I was alarmed by your post. Looking just at LON-ZRH, I checked the monthly availability and sure enough, nothing available for ZRH. However, when making dummy bookings, flights were available on most dates in ET for most of December and January, with just some Saturdays out and 25.12 not available, and just 1.1 and 2.1 inbound not available. CE availability was better with just 25.12 outbound and 2.1 inbound unavailable. Results for the Easter period were similar.

If you have not done so, it may be worth making a dummy booking for specific dates.

BTW, there's a curiosity about 25.12 ZRH availability, which only shows up much closer to December. And LHR on 25.12 is almost a dream.
Tried that before. Didn't work. Hotline said only for Gold customers.
Old May 1, 11, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Originally Posted by Jimmie76 View Post
Interesting WSJ Article about fees on "free" fights paid for with miles and cash (surcharges) and the difference with US airlines just out. You can read the article here and if you are having problems try this method here
Thanks for linking this article. I am really so baffled by the high charges for BA award tickets.
Old May 1, 11, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Originally Posted by Becky2010 View Post
Thanks for linking this article. I am really so baffled by the high charges for BA award tickets.
Not a problem. The charges are for all tickets award or otherwise, and are common for European airlines, but not US ones. As has been said many times before if you want to use your miles cost effectively on BA fly up towards the pointy end using either just miles or MFU.
Old May 5, 11, 10:24 am

Programs: United, American, US Air
The BA VISA DEAL: WORTH IT?

My husband and I were delighted to sign up for the British Airways Chase VISA card promotion----50,000 ward miles when first used, 100,000 if $2500 charged within 3 months. While awaiting our cards, I read that the surcharges for award tickets can be as much as $800. I sent a query from the BA website----got an acknowledgement, but no answer to my question. We are thinking of cancelling the cards within the 30 day cancellation period and forgetting the whole thing. Any suggestions?

BA Executive Club
Old May 5, 11, 10:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by nadast View Post
My husband and I were delighted to sign up for the British Airways Chase VISA card promotion----50,000 ward miles when first used, 100,000 if $2500 charged within 3 months. While awaiting our cards, I read that the surcharges for award tickets can be as much as $800. I sent a query from the BA website----got an acknowledgement, but no answer to my question. We are thinking of cancelling the cards within the 30 day cancellation period and forgetting the whole thing. Any suggestions?

BA Executive Club
use the miles for AA domestic sectors ?
dont you think that this query should be moved to its own thread or to the ba chase visa card thread ?

cs
Old May 8, 11, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA
reward seats LAX-LHR

Trying to book LAX-LHR bus/first reward Aug 31,2011. Are all reward seats really gone? Or are some to still be released? I noticed no reward seats avail even in Ecom. Whats up? Any other Suggestions? thanks
Old May 8, 11, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If you're willing to connect somewhere, there are lots of possibilities, since your award can include connecting travel on AA or AS. Check BA availability out of SAN, LAS, SFO, PHX, etc., etc.
Old May 8, 11, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA
Reward seats LAX-LHR

There is nothing on Aug 31 out of any of those connections..Very odd
Old May 8, 11, 7:52 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by trappedmom View Post
I wouldn't say that it is 'odd' but more due to the fact that it is peak season!!

There will no doubt be a lot of folks returning to the UK or indeed visiting here. First and Business awards are snapped up quite early and the likelyhood is there were some but are now all gone. Some folks book reward seats them nearly a year in advance.

That isn't to say some may be released but to be honest I wouldn't hold out much hope. You are far more likely to get (BA) availability from Pheonix or Houston if you can get a connection there.

Pete
Old May 9, 11, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by trappedmom View Post
Only 2 months ago there was good availability for J and F seats to/from LAX around this time, however it does appear they have not been snapped up. As PETER01 has said, it is peak season and a popular route.
Old May 9, 11, 4:11 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by PETER01 View Post
I wouldn't say that it is 'odd' but more due to the fact that it is peak season!!

There will no doubt be a lot of folks returning to the UK or indeed visiting here. First and Business awards are snapped up quite early and the likelyhood is there were some but are now all gone. Some folks book reward seats them nearly a year in advance.

That isn't to say some may be released but to be honest I wouldn't hold out much hope. You are far more likely to get (BA) availability from Pheonix or Houston if you can get a connection there.

Pete
I'd say availability has definitely dropped over the last couple of years as a result of factors including more seats being sold and CHASE card holders using their miles. Last year you could get F availability to LAX on almost any day you wanted no matter how far close/far out.
Old May 9, 11, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH Senator; HHGold; Starwood Platinum

BA Executive Club
I would definitely cancel if you still can...
Old May 25, 11, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I was just browsing CW award availability to Denver in June-August, along with Dallas, Chicago and Houston.
There isn't much choice for outbound, but there appears to be loads of availaility coming back!
Is this normal? I would expect a fairly equal balance, is there something I have overlooked?
Old May 25, 11, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)

BA Executive Club
If you haven't already, then unless you are happy paying the surcharges or flying AA, I would cancel. Assuming of course that you were thinking of using the miles to fly Y/WT.
Old May 30, 11, 11:00 am

Stung on Tax With 50% Mileage Deal

Just booked flights to Bahamas from UK on the special deal giving 50% discount to find I paid 700 on taxes. I must have gone wrong somewhere

Search this Thread
Search Engine: