Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Clinic Thread Why is BAs award availability so bad? And why are the fees so high?

Clinic Thread Why is BAs award availability so bad? And why are the fees so high?

Old Feb 25, 14, 8:50 am
  #751  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,469
Originally Posted by DG55 View Post
Has anyone noticed different availability showing for different accounts? Me and my wife are seeing completely different availability in CW LHR > ORD in March...
Is that when using the Award Availability Map or for specific dates using the booking calendar?

If it's the former then I'm not surprised since the results are made up by a random date generator. If it's the latter then that is strange.
SteveF is offline  
Old Feb 25, 14, 3:41 pm
  #752  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Programs: BA Executive Club, Bronze
Posts: 424
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
This is the bit of information that's been missing so far.

ISTR that there's a known bug in the booking engine which puts a WT+ --> CW UuA booking into W class if there's more than one sector involved, even though there are lower booking classes available for a cash ticket. That may be what you're seeing.

Yes, you could book the cash ticket online and then phone to UuA. Or you could phone to book the whole thing in one go, which would avoid the risk of the award availability vanishing before you can grab it post-cash booking - although in that situation you might be able to avail yourself of the 24 hour cancellation policy.
Thanks for the advice. More CW award availability opened up today and managed to book and upgrade my WT+ seat to CW on the outbound, just going to keep watching for the inbound availability to open up!

First CW flight booked to celebrate my 30th, very happy! ^

63J/K are as well as 64 A/B are available for selection, any preference on which I should be going for?
Furton is offline  
Old Mar 8, 14, 5:20 am
  #753  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Programs: BA Executive Club, Bronze
Posts: 424
Apologies for the amount of questions on this one however return availability has opened up on my return date however its not the same flight. I.e. there's a later flight from JFK or an earlier one from EWR on a 777. Should I bite the bullet and pay 100 change fee and get the CW upgrade?

Is it still a sleeper service from EWR?
Furton is offline  
Old Mar 12, 14, 8:35 am
  #754  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fort Lee, NJ
Programs: continental one pass, delta skymiles, platinum american express
Posts: 170
I am trying to get from Singapore to Dubai in early May. I booked 3 Avios Awards (Biz) but don't like the routing.

(CX 710) Sin -Hkg (5/5)
(CX 645) Hkg-Doh (5/5)
(QR 1006) Doh-Dxb

I don't want to leave SIN so early and don't want to overnight at the DOH lounge (although I heard it's nice.

I called BA and they said there is no award space on alternative routings/flights.

How much in advance of the flight date does BA open up more space (I know it won't be easy for 3 seats but the BA agent said there are seats just not award seats available.

Any advice?
rtlaw is offline  
Old Mar 12, 14, 8:51 am
  #755  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: From ORK, live LCY
Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
Posts: 13,026
Originally Posted by rtlaw View Post
How much in advance of the flight date does BA open up more space (I know it won't be easy for 3 seats but the BA agent said there are seats just not award seats available.
Nobody knows. There is no pattern.

Originally Posted by rtlaw View Post
Any advice?
Check every day, and if you see availability, jump on it right away.
stifle is offline  
Old Mar 12, 14, 9:32 am
  #756  
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Posts: 12,551
Originally Posted by rtlaw View Post
I am trying to get from Singapore to Dubai in early May. I booked 3 Avios Awards (Biz) but don't like the routing.

(CX 710) Sin -Hkg (5/5)
(CX 645) Hkg-Doh (5/5)
(QR 1006) Doh-Dxb

I don't want to leave SIN so early and don't want to overnight at the DOH lounge (although I heard it's nice.

I called BA and they said there is no award space on alternative routings/flights.

How much in advance of the flight date does BA open up more space (I know it won't be easy for 3 seats but the BA agent said there are seats just not award seats available.

Any advice?
BA does not fly SIN-DXB direct, and your only option for flying BA would be SIN-LHR-DXB which is probably not ideal.

BA does not control other oneworld partner award availability. There is no direct oneworld option for SIN-DXB.

Your main options are:
CX SIN-HKG-DXB
MH SIN-KUL-DXB
QR SIN-DOH-DXB

It is down to CX, MH and QR as to award availability on their flights even though you are redeeming with avios through BAEC.
nux is offline  
Old Mar 12, 14, 11:18 am
  #757  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fort Lee, NJ
Programs: continental one pass, delta skymiles, platinum american express
Posts: 170
Originally Posted by nux View Post
BA does not fly SIN-DXB direct, and your only option for flying BA would be SIN-LHR-DXB which is probably not ideal.

BA does not control other oneworld partner award availability. There is no direct oneworld option for SIN-DXB.

Your main options are:
CX SIN-HKG-DXB
MH SIN-KUL-DXB
QR SIN-DOH-DXB

It is down to CX, MH and QR as to award availability on their flights even though you are redeeming with avios through BAEC.
Thanks for the explanation-so even the BA agent doesn't know if and when, because these are other airlines (even though OneWorld members)
rtlaw is offline  
Old Mar 12, 14, 11:26 am
  #758  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 36,596
Originally Posted by rtlaw View Post
... so even the BA agent doesn't know if and when, because these are other airlines (even though OneWorld members)
The BA agent wouldn't even know if or when additional BA award space might come available - the answer is always maybe, maybe not.
Globaliser is offline  
Old Mar 12, 14, 12:39 pm
  #759  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 111
Just having a look at availability at the moment, with nothing that suits. If I called BAEC, would they have access to seats that we can't see? Or will they be going from the same info? Happy to wait in the queue to get through, if it means I can get my flights.

Thanks.
BertiebassUK is offline  
Old Mar 12, 14, 12:43 pm
  #760  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DFW
Programs: AA 1M
Posts: 28,101
BA's Y award availability seems to be pretty good.
UA Fan is offline  
Old Mar 13, 14, 3:40 am
  #761  
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Posts: 12,551
Originally Posted by BertiebassUK View Post
Just having a look at availability at the moment, with nothing that suits. If I called BAEC, would they have access to seats that we can't see? Or will they be going from the same info? Happy to wait in the queue to get through, if it means I can get my flights.

Thanks.
Although there have been some reports of agents finding availability that isn't shown online, I think it is either that the person has not been using the correct BAEC search (searching by route and date rather than the award map) or it includes connecting flights.

So assuming you are looking for BA direct flights I would be almost certain that the agent will not find anything additional to the correct BA search tool. However by all means call up if you wish.
nux is offline  
Old Mar 13, 14, 5:02 am
  #762  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: From ORK, live LCY
Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
Posts: 13,026
Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
BA's Y award availability seems to be pretty good.
You're confusing us with people who want to fly in whY
stifle is offline  
Old Mar 13, 14, 6:37 pm
  #763  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal and Dublin
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 2,677
Why do I do this to myself? Why does this always seem to happen this way?

I'm looking for availability for UuA for three flights. I check every day for weeks. One of them has a single seat open up so i call right away in a panic and upgrade that flight.

Then I make the mistake of looking at that flight again the next day -- three seats are now available. And they stay that way for days. Of course neither of the other flights have space available.

(Not that I'm complaining. So far with BA I've gotten upgrades on 100% of the eligible flight I tried to upgrade.)
zkzkz is offline  
Old Mar 14, 14, 4:34 am
  #764  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1
Does not matter getting Avios when you can't use

Looking for ANY availability to upgrade to business with Avios between
any US city and Heathrow ANYTIME this summer.
All calendars of availability are clear white. Might as well have a British comedian laughing in the background.
Another summer of blocked upgrade seats.
planetq is offline  
Old Mar 14, 14, 4:54 am
  #765  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold
Posts: 3,815
The calendar is about as reliable as a chocolate teapot.

Use something like award nexus if you want to automate searching, or be patient and do it manually otherwise
darthlemsip is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: