Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Clinic Thread Why is BAs award availability so bad? And why are the fees so high?

Clinic Thread Why is BAs award availability so bad? And why are the fees so high?

Old Apr 4, 11, 1:28 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by Kgmm77 View Post
One data point notwithstanding, but I'd no trouble getting 2xJ redemptions to SFO for the Easter-Royal wedding holidayfest period, booking around Boxing Day.

OP might consider PHX, it usually has good availability.
OP has considered PHX and YES its available!!!

2 choices -

PHX in F @ 75000 miles or LCY - JFK @ 50000 miles and then a flight with AA @ 159$

What would u do??

From PHX how long is the drive? Same as from LAX??
Better to fly?
Old Apr 4, 11, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by terminalfive View Post

2 choices -

PHX in F @ 75000 miles or LCY - JFK @ 50000 miles and then a flight with AA @ 159$

What would u do??

Better to fly?
Hi. terminalfive,

I would fly direct ot PHX rather than fly LCY-JFK then worry about the connection and the longish ( 4.5 hours+ in AA coach)

Driving from PHX to LAS would be a good 6-7 hours minium ( and there are plenty of cheap flights from PHX to LAS on Southwest or US air)

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 4, 11, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by terminalfive View Post

2 choices -

What would u do??

Better to fly?
Why can't you use miles to go LCY-JFK-LAS? LHR-LAX-LAS?

Am I missing something?
Old Apr 4, 11, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Hi. terminalfive,

I would fly direct ot PHX rather than fly LCY-JFK then worry about the connection and the longish ( 4.5 hours+ in AA coach)

Driving from PHX to LAS would be a good 6-7 hours minium ( and there are plenty of cheap flights from PHX to LAS on Southwest or US air)

Regards

TBS
Thanks The Banking Scot

Asked about the drive because I enjoy the LAX - LAS but as you say US air have great connections even with the BA flight

Last Q - is PHX worth a one day stopover (arriving 1700 leaving 2100 next day) or would you move straight on?

Thanks TBS^
Old Apr 4, 11, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Seated in First View Post
Why can't you use miles to go LCY-JFK-LAS? LHR-LAX-LAS?

Am I missing something?
No availability on the days I want to LAX (in J or F)

When putting LON - LAS in J or F through "partners" I only get options through ORD but at that point prefer PHX

Doesn't ever give me a LHR / LCY - JFK - LAS, unless I'm missing something
Old Apr 8, 11, 10:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Skywards Platinum
I'm looking to book LHR-SFO in J and it's very difficult to find, Noticed that some seats become available in the same week but not recently.

I'm not looking for other airlines were I need to redeem more miles, and I'm looking for the 3 pc's of luggage which I need on this particular flight.
Old Apr 9, 11, 10:57 am

Europe Zone 1 Countries with lowest award ticket tax?

For 50,000 BA Miles I can fly from the USA to Europe Zone 1 Countries:

Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Switzerland, United Kingdom

Given the high taxes on mileage award tickets to the UK, I am considering alternative countries to fly into, since getting to Europe is the goal here, not getting to a particular country. Any idea which country(ies) impose the lowest taxes on award tickets?
Old Apr 9, 11, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
I thought they were all more or less the same.

Try some dummy bookings and you'll find out for yourself.
Old Apr 9, 11, 11:51 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Here is a sample of the taxes/fees/surcharges you can expect to pay when booking a round trip BAEC redemption (in World Traveller class) to the following destinations:

SFO-LHR US$ 565.20
SFO-BRU US$ 557.80
SFO-CDG US$ 567.50
SFO-MUC US$ 618.20
SFO-DUB US$ 546.60
SFO-LUX US$ 526.90
SFO-AMS US$ 562.50
SFO-GVA US$ 543.60

Note, if you add a stopover in London on the outbound, the tax will increase by 12, or 60 on the inbound
Old Apr 9, 11, 1:44 pm

Thank you for the information Prospero, very helpful. A "free" award ticket to Europe is very un-free (aka expensive) after taxes/fees/surcharges are included!
Old Apr 9, 11, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rack him View Post
Thank you for the information Prospero, very helpful. A "free" award ticket to Europe is very un-free (aka expensive) after taxes/fees/surcharges are included!
Yes. But no one ever said it was free. I am sure that in the terms and conditions of whichever way you earned your miles, it would have said that taxes, fees and charges were in addition to the miles.

If you look at the same itinerary in Club World/Club Europe, it will all of a sudden seem like much better value for money.
Old Apr 10, 11, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post

However, people thinking that BAEC will find me a seat to there, then, NOW, CHEAP isn't really going to be a winner. The same applies to those appealing destinations in the Far East.

Solution? Try going somewhere near, and then either driving or flying to where you actually want to be [especially in the USA]. Does BAEC honestly have to give you a doorstep delivery, on their intense routes, as a Reward Flight?
Seriously?? I think this is a acceptable proposal if your dates are relatively fixed but as the norm it shouldn't be expected that you aren't able to get direct flights with miles.

The whole point of BAEC is to reward loyalty with 'free' flights as a payback. I think we can stomach the taxes and charges but the lack of availability on some destinations currently is getting well beyond a joke.
Old Apr 11, 11, 7:12 am

Programs: QF, JL, QR, McDonalds loyalty coffee card
We just paid taxes & charges for CW LHR-SYD one way at GBP425 each (also 128,000 QF points each).
There was no QF J award availability left at T-340 days. I think we just got the last BA CW awards for the date.
Old Apr 11, 11, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Blue (fall from the relative grace of silver)
I was trying to get a 2-4-1 CW LHR to JNB for November this year, I tried in January but there was nothing. There was plenty of availability in this class to North and South America (both East and West coasts in the US) but we plumped for UVF instead and cost was c750 in fees and taxes between two. Not bad in my eyes but would've preferred the 11 hour overnight flight to JNB again for Kruger Park (everyone should go there at least once their life!). I guess the Caribbean will have to do instead.
Old Apr 11, 11, 8:01 am

It's purely anecdotal, but judging by the number of messages I've read since the AA/BA merger that say this: "I've used my AA miles to upgrade to Club/First on BA for a trip next month, but need advice on which seats to choose/why can't i choose my seat for free/should i use upper deck" blah blah, one might find it hard to not to make a direct connection between the immense AA frequent flyer group now being able to pick off the limited upgrades being a reason for this dearth of upgrades for the BAEC members.

At the time, BA said that wouldn't happen and that we BA members would have options for upgrades that AA members would not.

But I have no idea if this is the case. For years I used to be able to find suitable upgrades to First or CW on the day I wanted to travel, or within a 2 or 3 day window on either side.

Lately, I've had to search up to 14 days (just for academic purposes, as my travel window is rarely 14 days! LOL), with absolutely nothing on offer. And this includes searches for travel within 1 month or 11 months out and everywhere in between.

Sure, business is better for BA now. But I'm looking at a 7 or 8 year period here in my amateurish "test cases."

Do our experts on here think AA being able to use BA metal has been a factor?

At the beginning of this cooperation, I talked to a couple of friends who were AA high mileage members. They'd never flown BA (mostly because they were Federal employees and the US requires US airlines for their overseas travel).

But once they flew BA in business class with their personal miles, they are not going to back to AA (can't blame them.)

So in the last year, BA may have picked off loads of AA pax who don't want to use them anymore due to the hard product they've now discovered on BA.

Another upgrade problem for BA pax perhaps? Or is alleged dearth of upgrades just 100 percent market driven?

Or aircraft driven? As I posted elsewhere on here I noticed a return flight of mine in September has been downgraded from the 777 which has been on that route at that time for donkey's YEARS to a poxy 767. So obviously fewer upgrades on that available, (especially as there is no First on it at all.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: