Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Clinic Thread Why is BAs award availability so bad? And why are the fees so high?

Clinic Thread Why is BAs award availability so bad? And why are the fees so high?

Old Apr 1, 11, 11:03 am

Programs: RBC Avion, AAdvantage, AF Flying Blue, Nexus, Global Entry
Question regarding fuel surcharge when using miles to book award tickets.

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me out with this query. I'd like to book a J class ticket from YYZ-HKG via CX with my BA miles. Why is BA adding the fuel surcharge to the price of a ticket when I'm not flying BA metal. Adding to the confusion is the fact that I can book a J class ticket with my miles (via BA site as well) from YYZ-MIA-BAI on AA metal and there is no fuel surcharge on the price.

Is the fact that i could technically fly YYZ-LHR-HKG with BA metal the reason for the fuel surcharge? Thank you.
Old Apr 1, 11, 11:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Originally Posted by jv66 View Post
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me out with this query. I'd like to book a J class ticket from YYZ-HKG via CX with my BA miles. Why is BA adding the fuel surcharge to the price of a ticket when I'm not flying BA metal. Adding to the confusion is the fact that I can book a J class ticket with my miles (via BA site as well) from YYZ-MIA-BAI on AA metal and there is no fuel surcharge on the price.

Is the fact that i could technically fly YYZ-LHR-HKG with BA metal the reason for the fuel surcharge? Thank you.
Short answer, where the operating airline imposes a fuel surcharge on a given route, you should expect this charge to be passed on to the customer when booked as a BAEC redemption ticket. In the case of YYZ-HKG on Cathay Pacific, the fuel surcharge imposed by Cathay Pacific for a business class ticket is currently set at CAN$ 110.73 each way.
Old Apr 1, 11, 1:01 pm

Programs: RBC Avion, AAdvantage, AF Flying Blue, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
Short answer, where the operating airline imposes a fuel surcharge on a given route, you should expect this charge to be passed on to the customer when booked as a BAEC redemption ticket. In the case of YYZ-HKG on Cathay Pacific, the fuel surcharge imposed by Cathay Pacific for a business class ticket is currently set at CAN$ 110.73 each way.
I see, when I was looking at the price breakdown on the BA site, it stated the policy in regards to flying on BA. Thanks for the clear-up.
Old Apr 3, 11, 1:03 am

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Exclamation ANY redemptions to LAS?? Time to go twice daily!!

Trying to get a o/w redemption to LAS and have been looking (for April) over the last couple of months

Obvious priority to J but not wanting to stopover (there is / was availability via ORD and LAX) I decided to look at Y and Y+ and there is literally NOTHING

Quite unbelievable

I know MLE and other destinations (BKK and SYD spring to mind) are tough to find in J but LAS is tough to find in ANY booking class

Can't wait for the 747 -> this route really does need not just F but also the extra capacity^
Old Apr 3, 11, 1:09 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Originally Posted by terminalfive View Post
Trying to get a o/w redemption to LAS and have been looking (for April) over the last couple of months

Obvious priority to J but not wanting to stopover (there is / was availability via ORD and LAX) I decided to look at Y and Y+ and there is literally NOTHING

Quite unbelievable

I know MLE and other destinations (BKK and SYD spring to mind) are tough to find in J but LAS is tough to find in ANY booking class

Can't wait for the 747 -> this route really does need not just F but also the extra capacity^
not just LAS - J availability to LAX/SFO is also very hard to get. I don't think the move to the 744 will help this. Also, with the holidays in April, people would have booked awards a long way out.
Old Apr 3, 11, 1:16 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
As a general rule you need to start looking 12 months out especially on the popular routes. This is even truer if you are wanting to travel in Holiday times. e.g. Easter is late April this year.
Old Apr 3, 11, 3:02 am

Programs: BA, VS, Priority Club, Hilton HHonors
It must just come down to how far in advance the booking is made. I have booked 5 return journeys to Vegas over a 15 month period in both J & F, almost always travelling on my optimum dates. I did have to come back via LAX on one trip but all others are direct.
Old Apr 3, 11, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Originally Posted by Valueseeker View Post
It must just come down to how far in advance the booking is made. I have booked 5 return journeys to Vegas over a 15 month period in both J & F, almost always travelling on my optimum dates. I did have to come back via LAX on one trip but all others are direct.
I presume the F ones are in the future!

J to LAS is very hard to get and always has been since the route started (as it is with VS miles also on their LAS flight).
Old Apr 3, 11, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by irmster View Post
not just LAS - J availability to LAX/SFO is also very hard to get. I don't think the move to the 744 will help this. Also, with the holidays in April, people would have booked awards a long way out.
One data point notwithstanding, but I'd no trouble getting 2xJ redemptions to SFO for the Easter-Royal wedding holidayfest period, booking around Boxing Day.

OP might consider PHX, it usually has good availability.
Old Apr 3, 11, 8:04 am

Programs: British Airways
Originally Posted by blawson View Post
My advice would be for those of us who live in the regions.

Domestic flights are included in mileage rate your quoted leaving direct from London for straight mileage bookings (including Amex 2F1). You have to pay if it is MFU.

I often find you can get no availability for the domestic leg - or at silly hours - or into the wrong London airport only.

Find availabilty for the flights in/out of London to your destination. I then call up and make the booking over the phone but state you need the domestic connections - requesting the times you want.

I have had a 100% success rate on getting the domestic flights i have requested added on. The agent will book the long haul flight immediatly and then put a request in for the domestic flight to be released. They will call you back to confirm once released (within 2 to 24 hours in my experience).

For what it is worth I try and get a flight arriving in London 3-4 hours before the long haul to allow time in the lounges. Get the first one I possibly can on the return.
Blawson, as someone who also lives in your part of the world and inexperienced at MFU I find your posting very helpful and will indeed give it a shot as they say.

Thanks, Shorthaul
Old Apr 3, 11, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC: SILVER. BMIDC SILVER
Last time I went I was looking for a MFU to CW on the return leg. I managed to get it three days prior to the flight when checking by chance in Vegas.

Availability should open up in the nick of time.
Old Apr 3, 11, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Introduce a second frequency just to improve reward availability. Bonkers!

Or at least it normally is.

It might be the case that the marginal benefit of selling incremental seats to bankers on LHR<>JFK just so that they get more miles exceeds the revenue benefits of deploying the aircraft somewhere else for cash sales.

I doubt that the case is really there though.
Old Apr 3, 11, 11:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
I agree that LAS looks to of been a very popular route, however i cant see a 2nd daily rotation coming for a while, especially now that its been upgraded to a 744.

BA seem to prefer to try and route you via other airports when the route is sold out, ie LAS-DFW-LHR or LAS-DFW-MAD-LHR and vice versa.

If the route does continue to operate well i can see eventually extra capacity being added, but from LGW and using a 3 class 772 to add to the LHR capacity and perhaps only 3 or 4 days a week .

As to redemptions, i managed to pick up 2 CW redemptions to SFO for early March this year booking around xmas, on both dates we wanted to travel i could choose either of the 2 flights !

cs
Old Apr 3, 11, 12:34 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

When I was looking for an F reward to the west coast, LAS seemed to be the only place that had availability (in July). There were a number of seats available most days.

Not sure if it's changed now.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Apr 4, 11, 1:22 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
When I was looking for an F reward to the west coast, LAS seemed to be the only place that had availability (in July). There were a number of seats available most days.

Not sure if it's changed now.

Cheers,
Rick
Zero and I mean zero in April
Y Y + and J

Theres a bit of availabilty to LAX and SFO

Search this Thread
Search Engine: