Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Clinic Thread – Why is BA’s award availability so bad? And why are the fees so high?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clinic Thread – Why is BA’s award availability so bad? And why are the fees so high?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2011, 4:01 am
uk1
Suspended

deleted. Answered my own question!
Old Mar 31, 2011, 9:48 am

Why never any award availability for MIA!!

I never used to have a problem booking award availability to/from MIA in the past in either May or November.

I have booked WTP from LHR-SFO-MIA-LHR and MFU'ed LHR-SFO no problem but the award availability for MIA-LHR is non-existent. I have looked every day since I booked these flights (the day they came out!) and no award availabilty at all.

Any idea why?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
The seats sell so why give many away - as discussed on several threads
Its untrue to say never as Ive travelled on awared seats for MIA every November for the last three years. Just check every day, and look to travel on off peak days such as Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
You may have to be more flexible and go via somewhere. JFK is often good, using JetBlue for the trip down to the sunshine
Old Mar 31, 2011, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
I have to agree, I've never seen availability to MIA so bad.

I eventually found something but had to completely change dates of travel, and go out on the BA209 which I hate. No availability on the 207 for 3 months that I checked.

I think somebody touched on possibility of reasons for lack of award space, though not specific to this route. BA have given out a great deal of miles lately for one reason or another, also the Chase promotion, and it appears less space is being made available. Combine those and it does appear that redemption availability has changed quite considerably on some routes.

A P Yu - like you I travel every year (often twice or three times) on award space to MIA. But it's never been as bad as this - even on the Tuesdays and Wednesdays you suggest. I was looking September through November. Seats may of course ultimately sell and of course I'll be very happy for that. But being privvy to seeing what the actual loads are on these flights I can see no logic for award space not being there.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:05 am

The only thing I noticed on the last few flights from LHR-MIA was a lot more europeans in Club. Usually Club on that route was mainly British with a few Americans. I am wondering whether the mergers have affected this route and therefore award seats are more available to partner airline programs - just a thought.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Delta are starting MIA arent they which may help spread the load a little bit.

I do MIA once or twice a month and book WT+ and upgrade on miles and havent had difficulties since November. Done it the day before MIALHR time before last.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Sunrisegirl - I think it's to do with the blocking of seats to travel agents and cruise lines in this particular route. Such blocking won't be seen in the 'Numbers booked' figures you can see, but probably have to be accounted for by revenue management. Although that doesn't account for why this year is worse than previous. I find about two weeks before a sale these things loosen up.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 1:39 pm

there were quite a few mia award seats around at the start of the year, even through to april, but they have long since disappeared. what about trying Orlando (see above for creative routing ideas)?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Agree with bigmerv
Let's be honest ... thousands of people want to go to FLORIDA.
Why? Dunno, that's their choice, despite the weather this week!

However, people thinking that BAEC will find me a seat to there, then, NOW, CHEAP isn't really going to be a winner. The same applies to those appealing destinations in the Far East.

Solution? Try going somewhere near, and then either driving or flying to where you actually want to be [especially in the USA]. Does BAEC honestly have to give you a doorstep delivery, on their intense routes, as a Reward Flight?

The last time my Bro-in-law and his OH joined us in VA, they flew into Atlanta and then they hopped an internal up to DC. They wanted cheap, they put in the effort to get it. Is it that difficult to think outside the 'point to point' box?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
Good advices, I would like to mention that IMO out of the Major airlines I use (LH, LX, CX) BA as probably the best award availibilty at least in F. I love my BA F US-EU!
Old Apr 1, 2011, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
The most challenging flights are SYD, SIN, BKK, MLE and certain Caribbean destinations in season. For these you need to book a long, long way out, often as far as 350 days when seats become available.
One question on that one: if a 2-4-1 only last for a year, and the outbound must be taken within that year, how do people prepare for those 'in demand' destinations? Is it by having a Platinum BA AMEX which gives two years to organise flights?

I must confess I'm new to this redemption game (have got about 150k with a 2-4-1 to be used by 2012 and not sure where to go). Have been rather disappointed to find that most of South America is all booked up in J for the second half of the year. Not going to whinge, because I should perhaps learn the system better (and I didn't expect to get the 2-4-1 so soon - I would rather have got it later!) but it is still rather dispiriting.

In which case, thank you Swanhunter for that invaluable advice.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

241's last for 2 years if you have the premium plus card. @:-)
Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by T8191

The last time my Bro-in-law and his OH joined us in VA, they flew into Atlanta and then they hopped an internal up to DC. They wanted cheap, they put in the effort to get it. Is it that difficult to think outside the 'point to point' box?
It becomes a fine call though. Add on the fees that BA want for an award booking, plus the cost of an extra flight (especially if you want J) and the fact you're foregoing miles then you end up thinking you could pay a shade more, get a direct flight and a wadge of miles to boot (expect the miles are now seen as worthless...)
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Sunrisegirl - I think it's to do with the blocking of seats to travel agents and cruise lines in this particular route. Such blocking won't be seen in the 'Numbers booked' figures you can see, but probably have to be accounted for by revenue management. Although that doesn't account for why this year is worse than previous. I find about two weeks before a sale these things loosen up.
Could well be. Mind you I know of a few colleagues and a good number of friends (BA passengers) who'd love to see LGW start a FLL service. The cruise market there is now as big, if not bigger, than MIA.

I'm hoping that nearer the time things might open up a bit.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Unfortunately, its also worth noting that LH has just announced that its MIA flights are going to A380's. This means no F awards for Diamond Club members (not sure if they also restrict J), so those with BA and BMI accounts will also now be after BA's award availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.