Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Clinic Thread Why is BAs award availability so bad? And why are the fees so high?

Clinic Thread Why is BAs award availability so bad? And why are the fees so high?

Old Jun 2, 11, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by lwildernorva View Post
Worse than I thought. I probably got slightly higher numbers because I was a first-time visitor to the UK site. Before today, I had only used the US site.
At least the UK site posts in ... it would look different in $$$

Anyway, there's probably a Chase/Hertz/BA offer imminent ... spend an extra $500 on upgrading your rental and get a bonus of 500 Miles

Take care, fly safe ^
Old Jun 2, 11, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Miles and Smiles Elite / Hilton Diamond / IHG Spire / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by uk1 View Post
You're moving your complaint again. You said you wanted to get to SYD. You said

It wasn't true when you first said it in the first thread - and it isn't true now.

This challenge has always been that you need to book 10 months+ out and if you're an FT'er you'd understand that these seats are the most coveted and you'd know how to go about getting them. They give the maximum bang per buck on redemption plus 241. I've just booked my fifth consecutive year down to SYD in F via SIN using 241 - and got the trip I wanted with relatively little flexibility required. It needs forward planning.

If you don't want to play the game by the known rules then perhaps you should simply not participate?

I am sorry but I did not move the goal posts, I followed your advice. If there are no seats to BKK or SIN for 7 and 5 months respectively then there certainly will not be seats to SYD.
As someone who has gained his miles and status through many years of supporting the route with my own money, I feel that having to plan a flight to OZ 11 months in advance is unreasonable. Moreover given the JSA and the the co-operation between BA/QF over revenue and costs, it strikles me as being wholly inconsistent that there is not full co-operation on redemption seats including 241. Further, with the advent of AA ftrs now have unfetterd access to BA thos of us with a life and a desire to travel with a little less planning are going to be further penalised.

I have obtained the data on seats from BA.com this afternoon and the figures and details provided by my previous post were taken dircetly from there and were entirely accurate.

Last edited by binman; Jun 2, 11 at 2:08 pm Reason: error
Old Jun 2, 11, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by binman View Post
I have obtained the data on seats from BA.com this afternoon and the figures and details provided by my previous post were taken dircetly from there and were entirely accurate.
So what am I? An idiot? Why do I find availability to BKK and why do you keep claiming there is none? Or was it easier to ignore my post and continue your 'fight' with uk1?
Old Jun 2, 11, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by rofly View Post
Absolutely NOT true. I've seen people try to get the bonus again the 2nd time it was offered and all were unsuccessful. If I'm wrong, please provide evidence. The anti-U.S. sentiment is palpable in this thread (and often on the BA forum) and I, for one, do not appreciate it.
I double-checked my original source and I agree - I was wrong. Chase is limiting the BA 100k bonus to 1 per person.

HOWEVER ... you can cancel the BA Chase card when your 100k is banked and immediately get a Chase Sapphire Preferred card, which comes with 50,000 BA miles as a sign-up ....!
Old Jun 2, 11, 2:43 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, SPG Gold, Choice Platinum, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
I double-checked my original source and I agree - I was wrong. Chase is limiting the BA 100k bonus to 1 per person.

HOWEVER ... you can cancel the BA Chase card when your 100k is banked and immediately get a Chase Sapphire Preferred card, which comes with 50,000 BA miles as a sign-up ....!
To be accurate, Chase is actually offering 50,000 points in their program, which can be transferred to a number of airline and hotel partners, including BA.

Just hope that everyone who qualified for the 100,000 MR point promo for the Amex US Plat card got scared away from the just announced 50% transfer bonus from Membership Rewards to BA by all the grumblings over on the MilesBuzz board about taxes, fees, and fuel surcharges from people who got the Chase BA card. If not, it might get a lot more difficult to get seats in First!
Old Jun 2, 11, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Miles and Smiles Elite / Hilton Diamond / IHG Spire / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl View Post
SYD and BKK are two of the busiest routes on the network for redemption space. That's clearly apparent from reading FT. They need to be booked about a year in advance.

(Ditto CPT, SIN, ANU and other destinations I can't recall right now).

I'm surprised that as a BA Gold card holder, and member of FT for 2 years you weren't aware of that.
I am fully aware of BA redemption limitations but that does not preclude me from commenting on it or being peeved by it. Every night of the week/year there are upgrades and staff ( the ones without wash bags, PJs and who are served last) sitting in First to SYD SIN BKK JNB CPT and yet it is almost impossible to obtain a seat and certainly not 2 on a redemption basis at reasonable notice.

As a member of staff I thought your would have been aware of that.
Old Jun 2, 11, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by henkybaby View Post
So what am I? An idiot? Why do I find availability to BKK and why do you keep claiming there is none? Or was it easier to ignore my post and continue your 'fight' with uk1?
I have no idea if you are an idiot as I simply do not know you.

My posts however have been accurate and my view. I have not called anyone names nor have called into question anyone's integrity.
There are no seats in J to BKK Sep to March. Fact
There are just 5 days with seats between now and and August. Fact
Everything I wrote was based on fact and research on BA.com. What may differ is our definition of "plenty". That is a matter of opinion and there we we differ. I have not sought nor do I belive I am having, an argument with anyone. Meerly an exchange of views some of which are very helpful and useful and others whcih are not.
Old Jun 2, 11, 3:28 pm
uk1
Suspended

Time to give up I think ....

We've genuinely tried to help him, but in one post he says:

I spent 6 hours one day looking at every cabin for a year in advance. I found .... just 3 First in 12 month period.
Then he says:

I spent 6 hours recently trying to determine just how many redemtion seats were available to SYD and found that in a year there were just 6 First ....
So was it 3 or was it 6?

And he also said when he was searching online ......

Stopping in SIN, BKK or both is an option, but even that did not help.
.... but as far as I know you can't find LHR>SYD availibility via BKK online - it has to be a call unless it has changed! So is he actually searching as he says?

Earning a million miles in a programme where he knew the limiations meant that he couldn't get what he wanted - he has been a BA Gold Card FT'er for over a year and it's hardly a secret here is it - is extraordinary.

Anyway .... that's me done!
Old Jun 2, 11, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uk1 View Post
Time to give up I think ....
I think so too. The 'facts' are different in my world. Never knew FT could cross over into parallel universes.
Old Jun 2, 11, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Originally Posted by missellison2007 View Post
I recently signed up for a British Airways visa card issued by JP Morgan Chase. However, I was extremely disappointed when I discovered the airline passed along taxes, fees, and a fuel surcharge to the consumer when it offered free airline tickets. Just curious to know who else has signed up for this card? Have you tried to redeem your two "free" tickets?
Welcome to FT, I hope you find the information here useful. Did you read the T&C before signing up (or even during) potentially you could have saved yourself a lot of bother. Also could you please point to an advert for this card where they advertised two free tickets, or indeed free tickets at all. The reason being I'm struggling to find one, the example here
mentions reward tickets but nothing about free tickets. 50,000 BA Miles will get you a TATL reward flight in WT so I don't see any problem with the advert (which obviously had small print that isn't included on this image that may or may not have mentioned that the taxes and fees still have to be paid). This one specifically mentions terms and conditions apply.

I'd love to sign up for a card that offers 100,000 BA miles free, hell I'd even pay a small fee for the privilege. I wouldn't use them for two reward tickets in WT though as that's not what I consider good value, I'd rather buy a ticket and upgrade myself, that offers much better value for money.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Jun 2, 11 at 6:31 pm
Old Jun 2, 11, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Asiana Club
It really seems like BA availailibility went down so much recently
Old Jun 3, 11, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eastbiz View Post
It really seems like BA availailibility went down so much recently
That is because there is 'sale' going on. During a sale it sometimes seems they use part of the reward stock to make sure the sale has little effect on the bottom line. This is all pure speculation though.
Old Jun 3, 11, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by rofly View Post
Absolutely NOT true. I've seen people try to get the bonus again the 2nd time it was offered and all were unsuccessful. If I'm wrong, please provide evidence. The anti-U.S. sentiment is palpable in this thread (and often on the BA forum) and I, for one, do not appreciate it.
Actually, rofly, I have just learned of 1 person who got 1.2 MILLION miles from this promo. He applied for cards in the name of all his adult family members and some close friends, and then dealt with the fee and the minimum spend requirement on their behalf, before merging the newly created BA accounts into a household accounts. Thoughts?
Old Jun 3, 11, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
Thoughts?
Bloody Americans!

Seriously, if we found a loophole like that in the UK/EU we would applaud each other for finding it. I don't mind them exploiting one on their side of the pond at all.

There is no anti-American sentiment, there is an anti-whiner sentiment. What we object to is that someone is given a value of at least GBP 2000 for free (!) and then starts moaning that (s)he will have to spend another GBP 500 to use it (and that is only when they use it to fly TATL by the way!). In IT we call this RTFM. If you haven't read the fine print or misunderstood the offer you should not be blaming the parties that just gave you GBP 2000 for free. You should take some ownership there.

We can't help it that the above mainly applies to Americans. If the Chase offer had been a Dutch or UK one we might have had a lot of whiners from there. Somehow I think the tone of voice would have been different though. I blame American consumer culture. (There also may even be a small amount of envy involved on our side but who's to say? )

Last edited by henkybaby; Jun 3, 11 at 4:56 am
Old Jun 3, 11, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Seriously, if we found a loophole like that in the UK/EU we would applaud each other for finding it.
We might. Or we might tell everyone to keep it quiet lest the loophole be closed. Opinion is divided on the subject!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: