Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How long do timetable changes last? (LGW-JER schedule)

How long do timetable changes last? (LGW-JER schedule)

Old Mar 28, 11, 8:24 am
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Posts: 1,649
How long do timetable changes last? (LGW-JER schedule)

As has been pointed out in a different thread ('wot I can't find), there are now no red-eye flights on the JER-LGW routes on Wednesdays. However, as I'm going the other way, I've also noticed that my favoured 8:35am departure from LGW now doesn't exist.

There are still (usually) five flights a day, but the first is at 7:20am and the second at midday! I would struggle to get to the airport for the first flight without a taxi, something my company frowns on, while the second flight is too late to justify going across for a day without staying overnight!

Does anyone know how long this will last, or if it's permanent? A reason would also be good...

From a personal perspective, my Silver card is about to expire and my alternative would be starting anew with BE (which might at least give me lounge access quicker!) but the flights in Economy are usually more expensive and those cramped little Dash-8s don't really appeal. I'd even need to buy new luggage for it to fit in the overhead bins! So there's a bit of background to this one...
dark_horse is offline  
Old Mar 28, 11, 8:50 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 85
The changes are in place until 30th October 2011.

This summer LGW-JERs are at :-

07:20 / 12:00 / 15:30 / 18:30 / 19:35

wef 30/10/11 :-

08:35 / 11:55 / 16:15 / 18:15 / 19:50
theflyingdream is offline  
Old Mar 28, 11, 9:17 am
  #3  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Posts: 1,649
Very helpful. Thank you very much.
dark_horse is offline  
Old Mar 28, 11, 11:01 am
  #4  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 19,447
BA's network timetables routinely change twice each year, usually coinciding with the beginning and end of British Summer Time (BST)
Prospero is offline  
Old Nov 1, 11, 8:27 am
  #5  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Posts: 1,649
Thought I'd resurrect this thread, rather than start a new one, as the question is now in reverse.

This morning I did the first LGW-JER flight; not at 07:20 but at the comparatively leisurely 08:35. For me, it's so much better! I can get up at 6am and take a train, rather than 4:45am and an unreliable taxi. Although the GEX passes by about a quarter of a mile from my house, the 'Express' bit means it doesn't stop (not unreasonably, I suppose! ) and nothing else does at that time of the morning.

Unfortunately, I see that the schedules are due to swap back to a 07:20 departure come spring 2012.

So, is there any point in writing to BA and saying how much I prefer the 08:35 departure - as it had been for years? Or will they simply take the view of how many pax take each flight? I'm realistic enough to know my opinion may count for diddly-squat!
dark_horse is offline  
Old Nov 1, 11, 9:08 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Quite close to NQY
Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Posts: 9,322
Originally Posted by dark_horse View Post
Thought I'd resurrect this thread, rather than start a new one, as the question is now in reverse.

This morning I did the first LGW-JER flight; not at 07:20 but at the comparatively leisurely 08:35. For me, it's so much better! I can get up at 6am and take a train, rather than 4:45am and an unreliable taxi. Although the GEX passes by about a quarter of a mile from my house, the 'Express' bit means it doesn't stop (not unreasonably, I suppose! ) and nothing else does at that time of the morning.

Unfortunately, I see that the schedules are due to swap back to a 07:20 departure come spring 2012.

So, is there any point in writing to BA and saying how much I prefer the 08:35 departure - as it had been for years? Or will they simply take the view of how many pax take each flight? I'm realistic enough to know my opinion may count for diddly-squat!

well one letter from one person would mean nothing, but who knows what others think? you might not be the only one writing in ?

at the end of the day I would guess that the LGW-JER rotations could well be good money earners for BA, so its not beyond the realms of possibility that BA could add extra capacity if the demand for flights exist, every time iv taken the flight its been totally rammed with no spare seats, but other more regular users would be able to comment on the loads better than me

cs
cornishsimon is offline  
Old Nov 1, 11, 12:03 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 2,362
Originally Posted by dark_horse View Post
Thought I'd resurrect this thread, rather than start a new one, as the question is now in reverse.

This morning I did the first LGW-JER flight; not at 07:20 but at the comparatively leisurely 08:35. For me, it's so much better! I can get up at 6am and take a train, rather than 4:45am and an unreliable taxi. Although the GEX passes by about a quarter of a mile from my house, the 'Express' bit means it doesn't stop (not unreasonably, I suppose! ) and nothing else does at that time of the morning.

Unfortunately, I see that the schedules are due to swap back to a 07:20 departure come spring 2012.

So, is there any point in writing to BA and saying how much I prefer the 08:35 departure - as it had been for years? Or will they simply take the view of how many pax take each flight? I'm realistic enough to know my opinion may count for diddly-squat!
I agree- the 8:35AM flight is much more civilised, my Dad had to get it a lot last year when he overnighted at LGW after arriving at LHR from DME the previous evening. Getting the 7:20AM flight and doing a full day of work when he gets to JER is quite tiring, especially when you have just been on a business trip!

The problem with the flight leaving at 8:35AM is that it doesn't leave JER until 10AM and many prefer the timing of the 8:55AM flight as it still allows good connections for flights to TPA and BDA and many shorthaul flights from LGW. It is also popular for those who are flying onwards from LHR and business travellers travelling from JER-LGW-JER in one day but only have a few meetings, so see no need to get the redeye at 7AM.

The 7AM and 8:55AM flights are the most popular flights with pax who have onward connections, I think that the 10AM flight will decrease the amount of OC's ever so slightly. I don't mind- means I get a nice break in between sending off the 2769 at 7AM and checking in the 2771!
Athlete95 is offline  
Old Nov 2, 11, 5:50 am
  #8  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Posts: 1,649
Originally Posted by mikey2124 View Post
The problem with the flight leaving at 8:35AM is that it doesn't leave JER until 10AM...
Dammit! There's always a flip-side. I'll write in anyway. I much prefer things the way they have been for years (so there!).

Thanks for the info.
dark_horse is offline  
Old Nov 2, 11, 1:52 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 2,362
Originally Posted by dark_horse View Post
Dammit! There's always a flip-side. I'll write in anyway. I much prefer things the way they have been for years (so there!).

Thanks for the info.
No problem- tell me how you get on!
Athlete95 is offline  
Old Nov 2, 11, 2:13 pm
  #10  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Posts: 1,649
Originally Posted by mikey2124 View Post
No problem- tell me how you get on!
I'll tell you in the spring!
dark_horse is offline  
Old Nov 2, 11, 5:45 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewes
Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Posts: 4,706
Whilst I prefer BA, don't dismiss the flybe service if the timings suit....
(don't forget BA still own a chunk of Flybe.)
The first Flybe LGW-JER service departs at 08:50 and is operated by a modern, fairly spacious Embraer 195 ...(jet) in a 2+2 configuration.... nothing to stop you using Flybe one way, BA on the other.....
Skipcool3 is offline  
Old Nov 2, 11, 6:24 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 2,362
Originally Posted by Skipcool3 View Post
Whilst I prefer BA, don't dismiss the flybe service if the timings suit....
(don't forget BA still own a chunk of Flybe.)
The first Flybe LGW-JER service departs at 08:50 and is operated by a modern, fairly spacious Embraer 195 ...(jet) in a 2+2 configuration.... nothing to stop you using Flybe one way, BA on the other.....
Oh there is- the South Terminal...
Athlete95 is offline  
Old Nov 3, 11, 6:13 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewes
Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Posts: 4,706
mikey2124... south terminal at Gatwick is being spruced up nicely...
Now New EMB 195 or 20 year old 737........
Skipcool3 is offline  
Old Nov 3, 11, 7:20 am
  #14  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Posts: 1,649
It's not so much the South Terminal itself as the people who are using it. Now that's not meant as a snobby comment (although it does sound like it, doesn't it? ).

I simply mean that when I've got my business head on, trying to get through a terminal with mainly holiday-makers is a chore. It then has a knock-on effect that, when I'm on holiday, I'm familiar with airports so still get frustrated with people who can't pack their 1 litre plastic security bag.

OK, it is snobbery. But, in my defence, it's the same as London commuters who find their weekend Tube journey packed full of bumbling tourists!
dark_horse is offline  
Old Nov 3, 11, 8:25 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Quite close to NQY
Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Posts: 9,322
Originally Posted by dark_horse View Post
It's not so much the South Terminal itself as the people who are using it. Now that's not meant as a snobby comment (although it does sound like it, doesn't it? ).

I simply mean that when I've got my business head on, trying to get through a terminal with mainly holiday-makers is a chore. It then has a knock-on effect that, when I'm on holiday, I'm familiar with airports so still get frustrated with people who can't pack their 1 litre plastic security bag.

OK, it is snobbery. But, in my defence, it's the same as London commuters who find their weekend Tube journey packed full of bumbling tourists!


I keep saying it, but i really do think that if your flying on a BA codeshare operated by BE out of the South terminal that BA should offer lounge facilities and fast track security in the South Terminal.

It cant really be that hard to negotiate the use of a lounge can it ?
im fairly certain that BA must be putting quite a few connecting passengers through BE, but obviously iv no idea on the actual figures!

cs
cornishsimon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread