FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Overhead bin storage 747 upper deck (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1196841-overhead-bin-storage-747-upper-deck.html)

tpatta Mar 21, 2011 12:30 pm

Overhead bin storage 747 upper deck

Does anyone know if a standard 22" roll aboard will fit in the overheads on the upper deck of a 747. Flying LAX-LHR in two weeks. Looks like CW upper deck is great. Just not sure bags will fit. Thanks.

knifeandfork Mar 21, 2011 12:34 pm

They won't. Usually best to store them in the cupboard by the stairs.

Genius1 Mar 21, 2011 12:53 pm

henkybaby will be along soon, no doubt, with his picture proving that they do indeed fit in (if a bit squashed!) ;)

Etch Mar 21, 2011 12:56 pm

Well I flew Club World 2 years ago and took my 22" suitcase with me and it fitted just fine in the overhead bins on the upper deck. So you should be ok.

henkybaby Mar 21, 2011 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1 (Post 16074927)
henkybaby will be along soon, no doubt, with his picture proving that they do indeed fit in (if a bit squashed!) ;)

They do indeed. Without any squashing I might add.

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL359.../380021008.jpg

There you go... :D

HIDDY Mar 21, 2011 1:33 pm

In my vast experience. ;)

Upper deck on BA = Yes.
Upper deck on QF = Yes
Upper deck LH = No

Genius1 Mar 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 16075235)
Upper deck LH = No

Does LH still store their spare surly attitude in the overheads, then?

HIDDY Mar 21, 2011 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1 (Post 16075396)
Does LH still store their spare surly attitude in the overheads, then?

Eh? :confused:

BingBongBoy Mar 21, 2011 2:19 pm

In my experience... Of baggage.

UK version of a 22" case will fit.
US version of a 22" case (which is overstuffed to the maximum with everything but the kitchen sink and expanded every which way it is possible) will not fit.

I was pleasantly surprised at how large the lockers were on the upper deck. It struck me as the lockers not being overly small, more as complainers having bags that are too big and in all reality probably should not be onboard the aircraft to begin with... But hey, thats just MY opinion...

SFOSpiff Mar 21, 2011 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy (Post 16075566)
US version of a 22" case (which is overstuffed to the maximum with everything but the kitchen sink and expanded every which way it is possible) will not fit.

I assume you mean a 22" case packed by an American, not a 22" case sold in the U.S. My TravelPro 22" fits just fine in the UD overheads.

I don't pack a sink; have you heard that our hotels offer them now? :D

HilFly Mar 21, 2011 2:26 pm

In my experience... Of baggage.

UK version of a 22" case will fit.

I was pleasantly surprised at how large the lockers were on the upper deck. It struck me as the lockers not being overly small, more as complainers having bags that are too big and in all reality probably should not be onboard the aircraft to begin with... But hey, thats just MY opinion...

BBB has hit the nail on the head. Length isn't the issue; it's width and depth. This American's 22" case fits quite easily because it is svelte and definitely not overstuffed. (Which is more than can be said for its owner! :eek::o:D )

HIDDY Mar 21, 2011 2:28 pm

It struck me as the lockers not being overly small, more as complainers having bags that are too big and in all reality probably should not be onboard the aircraft to begin with...

I'm amazed at the size of some peoples carry-on bags....they're massive and make mine look very puny.

BingBongBoy Mar 21, 2011 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 16075623)
....they're massive and make mine look very puny.

HIDDY dear chap... we are talking about bags here... Leave your personal insecurities at the door...

Genius1 Mar 21, 2011 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 16075503)
Eh? :confused:

It was one of those things called a joke - I'm not sure whether you have them in Argentina?

I was insinuating that, due to Lufthansa cabin crew's reputation for surliness, that this was in some way stored on the aircraft in the overhead lockers, therefore taking up space (yes, I was pretending that surliness is a physical object), thus making it impossible to store a rollaboard in the overhead locker.

It must be past your bed time, HIDDY ;)

HIDDY Mar 21, 2011 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy (Post 16075666)
HIDDY dear chap... we are talking about bags here... Leave your personal insecurities at the door...

:eek:

Originally Posted by Genius1 (Post 16075697)
It was one of those things called a joke -

I see...been on the wine gums again have you?

I've found LH crew to be quite pleasant. Of course, I'm not a demanding passenger....did you have a problem with them? ;)