Best way to spend 5 to 7 hours in AMS?

Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by pb3
HEL sounds interesting, but the fare structure is only economical if you are prepared to spend a Saturday night, meaning that Hotel accomodation comes into play.
But AMS also requires the Saturday night stay if you're travelling in CE.

How are you doing this as a day trip? Are you in CE or ET?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by Gajan
Haarlem is also pretty nice!
There is a fast bus that runs every 6 minutes between Haarlem and Schiphol. It should take you ~45 min and drops you off in the centre of Haarlem. Tickets can be bought from the driver for E4 for a single.
In Haarlem there is an equivalent museum of the Anne Frank museum - Corrie ten Boom. Quite a few people prefer this as it is smaller. Beside

I am not sure that your 15 minute estimate from Haarlem to Bloemendaal aan Zee is correct - as the distance is 9 km and should be doable in 30 minutes.

Gajan

Gajan
I had forgotten all about Corrie ten Boom. I read The Hiding Place back in the 1970s. Next time I fly through AMS I will try and schedule time for a visit to Haarlem and the museum.

Thank you for the suggestion, Gajan.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: KL/PE, BA/Gold
Take every train to Amsterdam South WTC (5 min! first stop), exit here, take tram 5 to Central Station and leave the train at Museum Square (about 10 minutes, opposite to the Concert Building). Walk towards the Rijksmuseum by passing the sqaure (7 minutes, can't miss it) and then to Leidse Plein (10 minutes, Leidse Square). From there to the Canals (3 minutes). Have a lunch on one of the canals, walk along the canals and take tram 5 back to the train station South WTC and a train to Schiphol Airport. The way back will cost you around 45 minutes to be safe. Otherwise send me a "private" mail and I will give you a more detailed program.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 2:32 pm
pb3
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Blue - How the once mighty have fallen
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl

Nothing booked yet but my understanding is that it is club Europe - BA CityFlyer.

Given your reply I'll double check this!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl

AMS is a 69 upgrade (I think) each way from ET ex-Gatwick. This is confirmable in advance via MMB. This is how you get around the Sat night rule.

From LHR the upgrade will be 100 e/w. Not sure what it costs from LCY or even if it is available.

The best thing in AMS at the moment is the Rijksmuseum. It is 90% closed for refurbishment. They have taken the best bits from the entire museum and stuck them in the other 10%. Imagine the British Museum or the National Gallery with all the best bits put into a couple of rooms. Truly outstanding stuff. And the Van Gogh Museum is next door as well.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Raffles
The best thing in AMS at the moment is the Rijksmuseum. It is 90% closed for refurbishment. They have taken the best bits from the entire museum and stuck them in the other 10%. Imagine the British Museum or the National Gallery with all the best bits put into a couple of rooms. Truly outstanding stuff.
Do you mind if I point the mayor of Amsterdam to this post? This is his biggest headache... I am sure he would love the positive spin you put on it.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Raffles
AMS is a 69 upgrade (I think) each way from ET ex-Gatwick. This is confirmable in advance via MMB. This is how you get around the Sat night rule.

From LHR the upgrade will be 100 e/w. Not sure what it costs from LCY or even if it is available.
Yes, I was aware of that, but add this to a cheapie Y fare and it's more than a Hotline with a Saturday night stay. If you can find a cheapie hotel or one on points, then it's often more fun to stay overnight!

But maybe Cityflyer has different rules
Old Mar 14, 2011, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or a night out with the crew in Limassol will yield 120 TPs.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 6:19 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
As others have said, loads of things to do.
-take the train into Zentraal station, come out, turn left and walk through the construction site until you see an oriental boat. Have a great rijsstaffel.
-take a tram to the Heineken Experience.
-go to the AMS branch of the Renaissance Museum of St Petersburg.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:56 pm

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
Go to the Greenhouse one of the best coffeeshop around!
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Gold, Eurostar CB, FB Explorer
Originally Posted by dutchflyer2
Take every train to Amsterdam South WTC (5 min! first stop), exit here, take tram 5 to Central Station and leave the train at Museum Square ...
heh. Same route as me. Presume you commute too - it's cold at the tram stop on the tram that gets to AMS for the first flight of the day, isn't it

Last edited by happyintheair; Mar 17, 2011 at 2:13 pm Reason: messed up quoting
Old Mar 18, 2011, 7:34 am
pb3
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Blue - How the once mighty have fallen
Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. I'm now spoilt for choice as to things to do in Amsterdam.

Flights all booked and I've been allocated exit row window seats as well ^

Will be my first flight out of London City airport as well - should be interesting.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by anc305
window shopping

Never been to AMS as an adult (went when I was small). But I have seen the pictures.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.