Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CE - Larnaca - Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Blah Blah...
CE - Larnaca - Upgrade?

Is it worth waiting and hoping, or should I give up?

I purchased two economy tickets to Larnaca as they were about £600 cheaper in total than CE (not worth it for what you get I guess).

I was hoping that down the line, I'd upgrade the flights to CE, but they are currently priced at £150 each, each way. Funnily enough, totalling £600.

I don't have status, so upgrade would also give me lounge access, but as CE is not great, I'm not paying £150 each each way for lounge access.

Do you know if the upgrade price will change over time, or is the cost in the MMB is static. If not static, anyone any idea what it is likely to come down too, if indeed downwards is the direction it will go??

My flights are for late June FYI.

Thanks all for you continued help in all my trivial matters.

Matt
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The upgrade price is fixed at £150. It's not going to go down, it may increase between now and June.

Compared with other routes, that's actually quite cheap, if you consider than a 45 minute hop to AMS has a £100 upgrade fee, and the DME flights (an hour shorter than LCA) cost £200.

If you don't want to pay £150 x 4 for the lounge access and the 120 TPs each for the trip, then better pay for assigned seats, particularly if 12AB, 12JK, 27AB or 27JK are free.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
I doubt as the special price (both MMB and airport) I always pay for the LHR-ATH service is 150 pounds oneway. If you want to do it for the lounge do it just on the flight LHR-LCA and not on the way back, LCA lounge is nothing special.

Both destinations are on the same Euro Band so I assume that the upgrade price will be the same.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by potakas
If you want to do it for the lounge do it just on the flight LHR-LCA and not on the way back, LCA lounge is nothing special.
I would argue that the LCA lounge is quite nice, an oasis of calm from the sweaty masses downstairs. The fishtank is a nice touch.

You can get sandwiches, savoury pastries, baklava. There is a nice coffee machine, and load your bag with soft drinks or water, as it takes ages to get served on the plane.

You can usually pick up a copy of The Sun.

There are 4 computers usually hogged by kids.

You can also access the LCA lounge with Priority Pass.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
particularly if 12AB, 12JK, 27AB or 27JK are free.
^

Also don't go for the 13-14AK or 13-14JK as they have misaligned windows (in case you want to enjoy the view )

Here is a walkt-hrough the 767's cabin
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:29 am

I would argue that the LCA lounge is quite nice, an oasis of calm from the sweaty masses downstairs. The fishtank is a nice touch.
Yes, I wasn't saying it is bad, just that he should not expect anything special (like showers) .
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by potakas
Yes, I wasn't saying it is bad, just that he should not expect anything special (like showers) .

Unless he wants to dive into the fishtank...
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Cheers people.

I ahve Priority Pass, so Lounge is no problem.

I also did not mention I am travelling with an infant, which means I have seat booking access already. I am however considering upgrade just for the purpose that I could get the three middle seats (well 2 seats, plus the blocked seat) and place my daughter in the chair in the middle (she will be almost 1 year old).

I'm not sure if I could do economy for 4 hours with an infant on my lap anyway. I think I may have just talk myself into it.

Thanks again people.

Matt
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
If you've got the cash, its £600 well-spent given the flight time. Especially if you need the tier points.

I will probably end up spending £125 e/w (or is £100?) upgrading a short Berlin hop in a couple of weeks, purely to hoover up necessary TP's.

Matt - I think you'll find, if you select a window for yourself and an aisle for your wife (with the middle seat empty), especially near the back of the plane, you'll be unlucky if someone ends up in the middle.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:35 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Pirahna's? Oh sorry wrong side of The Pond.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
Matt - I think you'll find, if you select a window for yourself and an aisle for your wife (with the middle seat empty), especially near the back of the plane, you'll be unlucky if someone ends up in the middle.

It's a 767 to LCA, so window pairs in ET are just the same as window pairs in CE.

Just be aware that if you upgrade (and yes, I agree it's a cheap way to get 120 TPs), you will not be able to pre-assign seats unless you pay an extra £80.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Raffles
Maybe but the OP is travelling in June which is a busy time for this route so no guarantee of empty middle seat. He might be lucky and it stays free, but just as equally could be unlucky. And if the flight is full(ish) we will move pax to adjacent seats rather than leaving the middle one open. We have to do this several times a day.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:41 am

It seems that there is a shower room there, I wasn't aware.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Goodbye £600.

It would be a no brainer for 5x the cost if it were WT+ to CW, but ET to CE, makes me sad

Thanks again.

Can anyone confirm that if I upgrade and get the middle 3 (2) seats in CE on the 767, that the middle seat is usuable by my child (of 1 year old), and it is not "roped" off in some way?

Thanks
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:45 am
Original Poster

In which case, this leaves the normal question... do I leave my underwear on or not

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.