Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B747 Crew Sleeping Quarters

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

B747 Crew Sleeping Quarters

Can any crew shed any light on what the sleeping area in the tail of a B747 is like? Is like the sleeping space on a long distance coach? I dont recall ever seeing any photographs etc.

btw did you know that the B747 got its 'Jumbo' nickname from an elephant called Mumbo Jumbo? The description 'Jumbo' was only termed after this large creature and wasn't in useage beforehand, as a description of size.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:05 pm

A few examples

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Unite...422/1859596/M/
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Unite...422/1802098/M/
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Qanta...-ER/1709495/M/
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

Wow, I didnt think it was that spacious, its more like a room than the cupboard size I had envisaged.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:29 pm

I've been in one of the sleeping areas, the photo makes it look a bit more spacious than it actually is. There are a few different layouts so they can vary on different aircraft.

The area I visited wasn't very high, I couldn't stand-up I had to crouch to walk around, it's also quite chilly and as it is in the tail it's subject to turbulence; however, for the purposes of having somewhere to lie down and rest for a few hours it ticks that box.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Can the crew be in them (technically) for takeoff and landing? I.e. is that allowed by the FAA? Seems like 2 bunks take up about the same space as 1 CW seat...
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Why do FAs need to sleep onboard??? What's the longest possible flight time - 12 hours? Ok, it's a long shift, but not an unrealistic one.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Can the crew be in them (technically) for takeoff and landing? I.e. is that allowed by the FAA? Seems like 2 bunks take up about the same space as 1 CW seat...
when you say 'take off' do you mean when the aircraft leaves the tarmac or reaches the mile high
Old Feb 23, 2011, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by henkybaby
No they cannot be used during take-off and landing.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Why do FAs need to sleep onboard??? What's the longest possible flight time - 12 hours? Ok, it's a long shift, but not an unrealistic one.
Who mentioned sleep? I can very rarely sleep in the bunks.It is beneficial to get your feet up though on your break. People in other jobs get breaks don't they?
Old Feb 23, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA bronze
Originally Posted by flygirl68
Who mentioned sleep? I can very rarely sleep in the bunks.It is beneficial to get your feet up though on your break. People in other jobs get breaks don't they?

Spot on...when I was VCCing, probably never got more than 30 mins sleep on a longhaul flight, but it was nice to get the tie and shoes off...sit in one of the seats in the crew rest area, read the paper and just chill out for a bit.

Old Feb 23, 2011, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Yep, lunch breaks at least. Sometimes tea break, cigarette breaks, etc. Numerous cups of coffee, etc whilst working at your desk.

Not sure why people love to knock those who work in aviation.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 1:42 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Sure, I've worked 12 hours shifts in different jobs, but never been provided a bed for any rest. Think about factory workers who are on their feet for 12 hours doing boring tasks, they tend not to have sleeping quarters.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by sweeper20
Sure, I've worked 12 hours shifts in different jobs, but rarely have been provided a bed for any rest.
Well, being at altitude can bring on nasty swollen ankles and feet when your on your feet for hours.

We don't ALWAYS get a bunk, and I whole heartedly apologise for all the times I've used it.

PS, when we DO have bunks, it is the only place we have to go to get 'away' from 'the office' so to speak.
Other jobs I've had, we had a staff canteen, or a kitchen, somewhere to go, to be away from customers.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Well, being at altitude can bring on nasty swollen ankles and feet when your on your feet for hours.

We don't ALWAYS get a bunk, and I whole heartedly apologise for all the times I've used it.
Thank you for the apology!
Old Feb 23, 2011, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Yep, lunch breaks at least. Sometimes tea break, cigarette breaks, etc. Numerous cups of coffee, etc whilst working at your desk.

Not sure why people love to knock those who work in aviation.
Thankyou.

because they can?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.