Wiki Posts
Search

B747 Crew Sleeping Quarters

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by London_traveller
Is that right? - Do CC work LHR-JFK-LHR in one long shift, on the same plane? Wow. I thought (assumed) there was always a rest period for crew between LH flights.
You are correct. There is always a rest period between LH flights... The only exceptions being if they are doing a "shuttle" e.g. NAS-GCM-NAS etc...
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:45 am

If I remember correctly the longest 2 sector day without rest is MAN-BJL-MAN. I did this while working for a UK charter airline. This is right on the limit of possibility and required leaving at the ideal time of day and 2 sets of pilots as they have a slightly shorter maximum day than cabin crew, so one set of pilots flew it out and the others flew it back. The crew worked both ways. Each sector is approx 6.15 hours flying time giving a total of 12.30 flying time and a 13.30 flight duty day. (pilots maxed out at 13.15 - crew at 14.15)
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I have a few friends who work as cabin crew. I think it is fair to say they work hard under very difficult circumstances and they are rewarded with a lot of free time in between. I can attest to the fact that even that copious amount of free time is sometimes not enough to recuperate from the onslaught by jetlag, dry air, noise, businessmen, alcoholics, etc. Most crew start struggling with the effect in their mid 30s and a lot quit because of it.

At the same time I must say that I do not understand the hours that are normal in other professions (especially the ones where you bill them to clients). I know people who work 7 days a week, 14 hours a day without exception. Most of them did this to become partner though and the financial rewards at the end of the road are substantial.

What I really don't understand is why they let residents (in hospitals) work 72hrs straight. What is that suppose to achieve and isn't that risking the quality of health care?
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
All of this from someone who is keen on aviation asking for some information about something behind the scenes that the regular traveller does not know of, are aware of or would ever get to see. Makes me wonder why some people bother contributing to a forum like this.
I know I have a suspicious nature (and good reasons for it) but I find it uncomfortable when somebody asks for so much private (or not public!) information via an IBB.

And yahillwe I was referring to people who don't work at airports who are able to leave their office 4-5 times a day for 15-20 minutes a time to have a cigarette. Having formerly worked as a PA I've seen it happen in numerous businesses. Do it 5 days a week for 50 weeks a year, and those people get quite a few weeks more holiday than their colleagues earning the same salary!

Last edited by sunrisegirl; Feb 24, 2011 at 11:28 am
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
(By the way which version of CAP 371 are you looking at, because the figures are different in the version I have but mine may be out of date.)

And the bible has more pages than CAP 371 or EU-OPS Subpart Q (and as an aside, their limits are quite different).
It was from memory, so you are more likely to be right.

Here are some pics of the crew rest area in the roof at the front of the 777-300ER

Last edited by globalste; Feb 24, 2011 at 12:07 pm
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Lowly Blue
Originally Posted by henkybaby
...What I really don't understand is why they let residents (in hospitals) work 72hrs straight...
It saves money.

...What is that suppose to achieve...
It saves money.

...isn't that risking the quality of health care?...
Yes, but it saves money.

See a pattern emerging?! Now back to the OT...

...There is always a rest period between LH flights... The only exceptions being if they are doing a "shuttle" e.g. NAS-GCM-NAS etc...
Or like the very occasional JFK-LHR-JFK ones that I've done!

Best Regards

Bellerophon
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Hertz Pres O
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

We have for years taught at Lesson 1 at recruitment - this not not a difficult job but it is hard on you. Altitude, jet lag (chronic sometimes believe me), cabin air, change of temperatures at destination - they do take a toll.
PUCCI - I totally agree - as someone who spends a LOT of time up in the air and am told by customers when I leave "Have a great flight - I am sure you'll sleep for most of it anyway and get home rested" almost every time. "Normal" people do not understand. Extremely frequent flying is not good for the body. Having said that if you are on 286 tomorrow I will happily give up my seat in First for you (NF - BNLN I believe) and peel you grapes, serve you wine and clean your hairbrush until it sparkles!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.