Wiki Posts
Search

Going to Greece

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Going to Greece

Advice from the assembled experts please.

I'm going to Greece in September with work. I'm going to Kos and looking for some advice.

BA don't go to Kos - options either are Olympice or Aegean, anyone got an opinion about either?

Connecting through Athens - pleasant or horrendous experience? And how much time should I allow?

Cheers
BC
Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
Originally Posted by bingcrosby
Advice from the assembled experts please.

I'm going to Greece in September with work. I'm going to Kos and looking for some advice.

BA don't go to Kos - options either are Olympice or Aegean, anyone got an opinion about either?

Connecting through Athens - pleasant or horrendous experience? And how much time should I allow?

Cheers
BC

Hi BC,

Connection in ATH is very smooth you will not have any problems, you will make your way to the departures area in less than 20 minutes from disembarkation time.Keep in mind that security check is just before the gate, IMO stay at the departures area as long as you can because there in nothing to do after security. Lounges are also before security.

Both products (OA/A3) are very good - much better than UK Domestic products.

A3 has A320s on this route and OA has Dash 8-400 (I think exFlyBe's)

If you want Business class go for A3 as there is not Business class cabin on the Dash 8-400s.

If you want further advices such as how to avoid rip-off , ask me. I have never been to Kos but I think that I can help you.

EDIT to ADD

Allow 1 hour to be safe but as you will be on different tickets it is up to you. You will take a flight from LHR and it is very possible to have a minor delay
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by potakas
Hi BC,

Connection in ATH is very smooth you will not have any problems,

It must have improved since the last time we did it about 15 years ago - we landed at some unearthly hour like 3am on a VS flight and had an onward flight to Paros at 6am. We parked ourselves near the domestic check-in desk and when someone came to man (in fact it was a female complete with her children!) it I asked about checking in but was told that I could when they put the sign up for our flight. I waited - they appeared to be checking in for other flights but still no Paros - I went up again about 5.30 only to be told they'd closed the flight and given our seats away. They put us on the next flight at 10 something but there was only 3 seats left on the 17 seater - our youngest who was 5 at the time sat on my husband's lap - those were the days
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:18 am

Sorry for your experience, I also had many of those.

Currently, the ATH is a brand new airport (opened on 2001). A3 is *A partner and they are pretty good, OA has been privatized so you can expect much better service.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:40 am

Don't worry - I've got over it now. I'd never travel at such unsociable hours these days and most times I have lounge access. Just pointing out how air travel has changed.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA & BD Gold Once Upon a Time
Don't worry about OA. Much better than BA on the ATH route, and I've done both BA and OA with the family. Maybe I'm just scarred by the ancient 767s BA are still flying on the route.

OA had a new A320, leather seats, good food and free booze. Young and attractive cabin crew too - not that that makes a difference of course

So when I rebooked this year I didn't even bother with BA, as they play on their name on that route, charging more than £100 more than OA/Aegean for a discount ticket.

The family an I are flying with Aegean this year who I believe also operate a new airbus fleet.

As I'm BD gold too, I still get lounge access and by past experience likely to also get the kids in the lounge, unlike BA who've steadfastly stuck to the one guest rule.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 2:33 pm

OA have withdrawn ATH-LHR.

See http://www.olympicair.com/News.aspx?a_id=2257
Old Mar 14, 2011, 5:08 pm

I would suggest going LHR-ATH-KGS on Aegean on a single pnr; this would best protect you if there's delay on one of your inbound flights.

As stated above, ATH is a very easy airport to transit, but the only time I've ever missed a flight was when an inbound 25-minute duration Aegean flight was delayed by 1:45 causing me to miss my connection to BA. An isolated incident I know but why risk things when you don't have to?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Night Flyer
I would suggest going LHR-ATH-KGS on Aegean on a single pnr; this would best protect you if there's delay on one of your inbound flights.

As stated above, ATH is a very easy airport to transit, but the only time I've ever missed a flight was when an inbound 25-minute duration Aegean flight was delayed by 1:45 causing me to miss my connection to BA. An isolated incident I know but why risk things when you don't have to?
Agree, also send an e-mail to BMI to match your status with them. Then book your flight through BMI (they have code-share agreement with A3 at least for the LHR-ATH) so that you can have lounge access.

Keep in mind that both easyjet and thomas cook have direct flights from LGW to KGS (in case you are interested). I checked it for September.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:10 pm

Agree, also send an e-mail to BMI to match your status with them. Then book your flight through BMI (they have code-share agreement with A3 at least for the LHR-ATH) so that you can have lounge access.
Actually I was wrong, just apply to the Diamond Club and you will get it!!
LOL How desperate are they??
Old Mar 15, 2011, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks for all the replies.

I'll look into BMI/Aegean however since BMI have just withdrawn the Glasgow service will still require airline change.

I thought BA may be able to book me through on single PNR if I book through them by phone (including last Aegean/Olympic sector)?

BC
Old Mar 15, 2011, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Actually I was wrong, just apply to the Diamond Club and you will get it!!
LOL How desperate are they??
Two problems: The offer you linked has been nixed (it was invitation only but the URL got spammed everywhere), and in *A, silver status grants lounge access only with the airline who issued your card. You need gold access for systemwide lounge access.

The status match should however work fine.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 6:35 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Kos! Now that's a destination that I remember. We did charters in there with BCAL - we used to have to stop at ATH on the way back for fuel because of the weight restrictions.

My favourite was Mykonos - known as the Scent Spray Specials. Wonderful - high camp and no drunks - we always sold out of gin and they were such fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.