FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   CW or F on a BA Chase Card Companion Certificate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1183408-cw-f-ba-chase-card-companion-certificate.html)

Droch Feb 12, 2011 6:55 pm

CW or F on a BA Chase Card Companion Certificate

What would you do?

I opened the BA Chase card with the 100k points for me and my wife last year. Last year I spent over the 30k and recieved the Companion Certificate for MFR. How it works is I log in to my BA account and it shows I have a certificate to use. I use our house hold points and my companion gets a free flight (yes I know I have to pay taxes.)

So my delima is fly in F or CW. 100k or 150k points for a flight from PHL to LHR or beyond to a certain point in Europe.

I just ran it through on the website and flying from PHL to MUN was going to be 150k points for 2 of us and 1500 dollars but this is flying in F and CE.
Total cost would normally be 22k dollars.

I look at it this way. My wife is racking up about 120k miles a year or more flying in CW for business to LHR and BOM from PHL. She can't upgrade using MFU because its booked through a travel agency. So why not fly in F this time. I flew in F last year one way and it was so much nicer than CW. Once you fly in F its tought sitting back further.

Any suggestion on where to go to and what class will be concidered.

majortom421 Feb 12, 2011 7:14 pm

I had to make the same decision for my trip from LAX to ATH this coming October.

Here is how I analyzed it:

BAEC miles to me are worth about two cents (U.S.) per mile. Therefore, the additional 50,000 miles for the two of us to fly F instead of CW (using a 2-for-1 voucher) "costs" $1,000. This translates into $250 per person per TATL flight to fly F instead of CW. The flight from LHR to ATH would be in CE either way so I ignored it in my analysis.

Personally, for me this is worth it but I don't think I would spend much more than that to fly F instead of CW. I have flown both CW and (old) F in the past two years. The main difference to me is that the sevice in F is more personable, the F cabin is quieter, and the food and especially the wine in F are far superior to CW. In 2009, they were serving very good and reasonably aged Bordeaux ($100 per bottle wine) in F. I don't know if this is still the case. For my 2010 flight in CW, the wine was unremarkable at best. I didn't find that much difference in the seating, and the IFE in CW is better than the IFE in (old) F.

majortom421 Feb 12, 2011 7:22 pm

I should add that we live in San Diego but are driving to LAX (about two hours) in order to fly F as the new SAN-LHR service does not have F.

Droch Feb 12, 2011 7:49 pm

I agree with you on the wine choices and service in F. I had to book last second and F was the only point seats available so i flew F going over and CW coming back last september. The F lounges also make a difference with any long layover.

I don't think its usual but I asked for a single malt and the guy came back and said he just got a bottle of glenlevet 21.

How long is that TransAtlantic flight from LA?

cornishsimon Feb 12, 2011 7:56 pm

Depending on the flight why not try first fir the daytime flight and club fir the night flight ??

cs

Droch Feb 12, 2011 8:05 pm

They only let you choose one class for the flights. When I have been looking I could get Club for the day flying back and thats the one I really would like to be in First for.

cornishsimon Feb 12, 2011 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Droch (Post 15853550)
They only let you choose one class for the flights. When I have been looking I could get Club for the day flying back and thats the one I really would like to be in First for.

If you can find availability to mix classes you can call BA and they will ticket a mix of CW and F with the savings in miles that you would expect

cs

Git-er-dun Feb 12, 2011 8:20 pm

1st 1st 1st

First on BA is very nice. You must try it at least once so you can compare it.
I have flown BA 1st, however, I've never flown CW, so this Sept the Mrs and I will be flying LAX-LHR-MAD in CW so we can see how the Business end of the cabin feels. We will be upstairs however.
If you can go 1st. Do it. You aren't getting any younger.
Giterdun!!!!

thepointsguy Feb 12, 2011 8:33 pm

Go big or go home! I say splurge for F. Hopefully you'll get new F, which is fantastic. I flew it last summer and loved every minute- here's a link to my trip report if you need any inspiration.

Droch Feb 12, 2011 8:48 pm

To thepointsguy Enjoyed your review. I also got to fly in the new first in September. My wife however always flys Club and gets us all the points so I think it will be a nice upgrade for her.

I think First will be my choice. My next thing to figure out is how far and where in Europe I can go without spending more points. I guess Zone 1 is the 150k so i need to find a listing of zone 1

Example PHL to LHR 150k
PHL to MUNICH 150k
Other places are 180k

Just need to find the best value

majortom421 Feb 13, 2011 1:35 am

Originally Posted by Droch (Post 15853504)
I agree with you on the wine choices and service in F. I had to book last second and F was the only point seats available so i flew F going over and CW coming back last september. The F lounges also make a difference with any long layover.

I don't think its usual but I asked for a single malt and the guy came back and said he just got a bottle of glenlevet 21.

How long is that TransAtlantic flight from LA?

Ten hours from LAX to LHR and 11 hours from LHR to LAX.

Cap'n Benj Feb 13, 2011 1:50 am

The 25 thousand miles each is more than worth it

F every time ESP on such a long flight, having the CCR available when you transfer is a big plus too

Droch Feb 13, 2011 6:40 am

Capt or anyone else

So its all set. I am flying PHL-LHR in First and then continuing to LHR-MUC in CE because there is no first. Because its Reward travel I am doing a stay over in London actually flying up to Manchester and then back and continuing my journey.

My new question is when I go to continue the journey can I still use the first class lounge?

Sixth Freedom Feb 13, 2011 7:30 am

Just go in F. LHR<>LAX are nice long flights so you will have a great opportunity to maximise the experience.