Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

$70 fee (per person) to MFU - is it correct?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2011, 8:07 am
awn
Original Poster

I have a query relating to a fee I have been charged to upgrade a MFU booking. The details are as follows:

We are traveling over Christmas 2011. To secure both o/b and return MFU seats I booked online WT+ and upgraded the o/b all at the same time. Today when the return MFU seats became available I called back to upgrade the return. I would have done it online but the option to upgrade the return was "greyed out" and could not be selected. BA have charged a $70 per person "redeposit fee" on the basis that the booking in now a return MFU and therefore they have to redeposit the miles used for the outbound upgrade and take the full amount of miles required for the return upgrade (for which a fee is charged). I explained to the agent that I could not do it online and that I thought the charge was unreasonable. He checked with a supervisor who would not waive the fee.

Is this a legitimate fee to be charged or should I take the issue up with customer services. I have done this type of booking many times before and have never been charged this fee.

Many thanks!

awn
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you sure this is a re-deposit fee, or does it represent the additional airport fee for flying in premium class?
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:26 am
awn
Original Poster

I specifically asked this and was told it was a redeposit fee. The total change fee was $95. I asked what the split was and was told it was $25 extra tax (due to the upgrade from WT+ to Club) with the balance being a $70 redeposit fee.

awn
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:00 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The figures you've been quoted make little sense to me.

You should expect to pay an uplift in YQ (fuel surcharge) on the upgrade of the inbound sector. Going by the current YQ rates (effective 08 February 2011) for flights between the UK and North America less than nine hours, the increase is $50.00 per sector. More than 9 hours, the difference is $88.00.

If the original booking was ticketed prior to 08 February, then I would expect BA to recalculate the YQ on all sectors of your booking to reflect the current rates.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Prospero
The figures you've been quoted make little sense to me.

You should expect to pay an uplift in YQ (fuel surcharge) on the upgrade of the inbound sector. Going by the current YQ rates (effective 08 February 2011) for flights between the UK and North America less than nine hours, the increase is $50.00 per sector. More than 9 hours, the difference is $88.00.

If the original booking was ticketed prior to 08 February, then I would expect BA to recalculate the YQ on all sectors of your booking to reflect the current rates.
I'm sure you're correct, but what about the re-deposit fee? I've never done it so I don't know, but according to the T&C's I've read (not studied; just read) there was no mention of re-deposit fees.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:19 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Booking and service fees for BA Miles bookings are explained here…

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...=searchResults

No specific reference to adding MFUs - only fees relating to date/time changes and cancellation/mileage redeposit
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by BigLar
I'm sure you're correct, but what about the re-deposit fee? I've never done it so I don't know, but according to the T&C's I've read (not studied; just read) there was no mention of re-deposit fees.
I've also simultaneously changed and upgraded flights in the past, for which there has never been any question of a re-deposit fee. My hunch would be the US (I think?) agent offered a "confused" explanantion. My guess is this is actually the difference in YQ, even if the numbers don't seem right - one explanation for that could be the YQ change was partially offset by a change in exchange rate on the UK departure tax.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA, VS, LH, HHonors
Most likely you won't actually be charged. I've been quoted change fees when I knew I shouldn't have to pay (e.g. not possible on-line) and they haven't been processed.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 3:02 pm
awn
Original Poster

I guess I will wait and see when the credit charge fee hits my card. But the agent who I spoke to was insistent that the $70 charge was for re-depositing the miles used to upgrade the flight.
Thanks!
awn
Old Feb 13, 2011, 5:38 am

Programs: SU Silver, BMI Silver, PC Platinum RA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Sorry, what means MFU?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by allmoney
Sorry, what means MFU?
MFU means use miles for upgrade

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.