Hello from the Concorde Room!

Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by clubman
As discussed over and over again here BA's First ground experience is generally extremely underwhelming.
True, but I don't think the lounge is really what people complain about - although the service could be a bit more professional, it's still one of the best lounges around. I can't claim to have tried all the world's top lounges, but I know some people who almost can and they still love the CCR. It's the other aspects of the ground service that really let BA down like the bussing, security, and general lack of joined-up curbside-to-curbside care.

But as Basil said, "May I ask what you expected?... Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain..." I still can't understand those on Flyertalk who recommend spending a whole day there, although I will try to time things when travelling F so as to be there for an hour or so.

Last edited by LeisureFirst; Jan 27, 2011 at 7:54 am
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by OPebble
But I don't want to be "amazed"; "excited" or "overwhelmed"!

I just want a calm, relaxing, typically British understated experience.
I guess it completely depends on what you're after, like you I love the calm of the CCR and even compared to the Club lounges (bar the B pier one) and the GF, its a very nice place to spend a couple of hours relaxing before your flight, yet alone the main terminal.

As you say, if you're after excitement, juggling waiters, pool tables, chef stations and the like, then you'd be better off at one of the bars/ restaurants in the main terminal
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
I still can't understand those on Flyertalk who recommend spending a whole day there, although I will try to time things when travelling F so as to be there for an hour or so.
ditto that, but if you'll indulge me, I'll tell you which lounge did impress me, and that was the LH FCL (not FCT) at FRA

We were in transit BHX-FRA-MCO. Arrived late morning and the place was close on deserted. Wife took the baby off for a bath (early start so she was still in PJs), waiter came over, immediately turned the TV showing CNN to some cartoon channel for my son.

I said to him "do you have a code for the.." and before I could get any further he produced a t-mobile card from his inside jacket pocket for me to use.

Service was absolutely 5* - drinks kept topped up and some excellent food on the go, plus huge picture windows overlooking the airport IIRC. I'm sure the big winner was the fact the place was so quiet, but it was absolutely spot on. Better than the equivalent FCL at MUC.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan BA Blue
Google the following term: hedonic adaptation
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
ditto that, but if you'll indulge me, I'll tell you which lounge did impress me, and that was the LH FCL (not FCT) at FRA
Sounds great.

If I fly LH F again....highly unlikely till they send the old F seats off to the museum....I would rather use the FCL than the FCT.
FCT is excellent but the place has a very strange atmosphere to it.....something about it I didn't like.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:59 am

OMG

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Perhaps the OP should nip out to Wetherspoons for 10 mins then go back to the Concorde Room to see if it feels any different
Not Fair!!!!

I just spit out my Diet Coke all over the keyboard of the laptop.

Funniest thing I have read all day!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I was very impressed with the BA lounge at CPT...

Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by CarolynUK
We are being entertained by a very noisy American gentleman shouting at the poor dragon as he has (apparently) missed his flight as he wasn't paying attention..... ho hum!!!
Ah yes, people kicking off with the staff is always great entertainment!! Even for the staff watching! Unfortunately it's not so much fun if you're the staff member on the receiving end.

Have a great trip ^
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Ah yes, people kicking off with the staff is always great entertainment!! Even for the staff watching! Unfortunately it's not so much fun if you're the staff member on the receiving end.

Have a great trip ^
Yeah there was someone at BOS who was demanding entry and almost purple in the face a good few years ago. All because his silver card had expired a month earlier and it had been perfectly valid when he'd booked the ticket .

CarolynUK enjoy your flight!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Yeah there was someone at BOS who was demanding entry and almost purple in the face a good few years ago. All because his silver card had expired a month earlier and it had been perfectly valid when he'd booked the ticket .
I believe that would have still entitled him to advance seat assignment, which seems like a pretty good deal to me.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
They are all great lounges but some people go way OTT when describing them.
This is probably due to built up expectations and the length of time it takes some people to save up air miles to expereince lounges/prem travel.

Personally, I enjoy the descriptions, including trip reports and all the nitty gritty details in them. Reading other passengers experiences is one of the joys of returning to FT.

It's also good to read the constructive criticism on lounges. I fly for leisure, not business, therefore I won't get to experience first hand most of the lounges I hear or read about, hence why I value other's descriptions.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Gold,HHilton Diamond VIP,Intercontinental Ambass,Amex
Originally Posted by Grande Annee
I great suggestion
+1

....Or go and queue for a cuppa at Costa/Pret??? by the lifts to B & C gates. I love the CCR for the very reason some peolpe feel underwhelmed by it. At the end of the day I'm a copper's daughter from Yorkshire, I'm no lady of the manor and I like the laid back feel of the place.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CarolynUK
We are being entertained by a very noisy American gentleman shouting at the poor dragon as he has (apparently) missed his flight as he wasn't paying attention..... ho hum!!!
Well that makes the trip sound entertaining, it must surely make the visit to the CrankyCrustyRoom worth it.

I love a good drama. Yesterday, I was treated to:

(i) Angry man at security convinced his wallet and passport were going to disappear in the tray at the end of the conveyor, cue shouting, panting and pushing people out of the way. Excellent entertainment.

(ii) Loud and obnoxious man at the Flounge portcullis, attempting to bring in his entire family, cue "But I'm a GOOOOOLD card holder". Hilarious.

(iii) Fat Ivan and Skinny Natasha at the Flounge Banquet. Fat Ivan stuffying his face with absolutely everything on offer, half of it making his mouth, the other half ending up on the floor. Skinny Natasha pouting and posing and generally not eating anything. A match made in a seedy nightclub somewhere east of Kiev. So funny.

I love it.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
(iii) Fat Ivan and Skinny Natasha at the Flounge Banquet. Fat Ivan stuffying his face with absolutely everything on offer, half of it making his mouth, the other half ending up on the floor. Skinny Natasha pouting and posing and generally not eating anything. A match made in a seedy nightclub somewhere east of Kiev. So funny.

I love it.
Me too! ^
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl

Have a great trip ^
Actually, it isn't that much fun for those of us observing it. It makes my blood boil to see some poor, hapless employee in the service industry taking a lot of flak for something that is more often than not outwith their control. But take it they apparently must. It is extremely poor behaviour to take one's anger out on those who are not in a position to answer back, as I have pointed out to the manifest irritation of fellow customers in several scenarios, including in an airport lounge. They don't like it up 'em !

Last edited by BA235; Jan 27, 2011 at 10:35 am Reason: Dreadful grammar. Again

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.