What to do with my BA miles?

Old Jan 26, 11, 12:56 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 170
What to do with my BA miles?

Just stumbled across this forum and thought I would ask the BA experts for some advice.

I mainly fly strictly AA but just found out that I had some BA miles for some reason in the past (102,400 to be exact) and being that I have an upcoming trip to London I thought 'perfect'.

Well, I went to book a flight and find that I can book the same exact flight on through AA using less miles and costing about $300 less, so it seems silly to use the BA miles there just because I have them. I'm guessing there's no way around the BA surcharges even when no segment of the flight actually is on BA?

So my question is mainly, if one has a load of AA miles and is traveling where both of these airlines fly, is it ever to one's advantage to use BA?

If not, do you have any advice for what one should do with his/her BA miles otherwise. (I even figured, well, I could blow all the miles and fly BA business & that just jacked the price disparity between the two even more...)

Thanks for any info
ukyank is offline  
Old Jan 26, 11, 1:08 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Quite close to NQY
Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Posts: 9,321
Don't suppose these miles came from the chase credit card by any chance ???
cornishsimon is offline  
Old Jan 26, 11, 1:19 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MAN
Programs: BAEC: SILVER. BMIDC SILVER
Posts: 668
Blow them on BA Business Class (Club World), the product is excellent compared to US carriers.

Alternatively, book a Premium Economy Ticket and use miles to upgrade to the Club World cabin: this is seen as getting the best value out of your miles.

Welcome to FT and the BA Board, you'll soon get replies from the Big Beasts* of the BA Board with comprehensive advice...


*geeks
andygeog is offline  
Old Jan 26, 11, 1:26 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 28,827
Originally Posted by andygeog View Post
Blow them on BA Business Class (Club World), the product is excellent compared to US carriers.

Alternatively, book a Premium Economy Ticket and use miles to upgrade to the Club World cabin: this is seen as getting the best value out of your miles.
What he said ... and welcome as well.

Whether you will find availability for the 'classic' MFU from WT+ to Club is another question. Much depends on where you're flying from, and how soon you plan to travel.

The bad news is you missed the Sale
T8191 is offline  
Old Jan 26, 11, 1:49 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 170
Originally Posted by cornishsimon View Post
Don't suppose these miles came from the chase credit card by any chance ???
No, I was based in London for a bit a couple of years ago, found myself flying somewhere for business near daily, so must have racked up some miles on BA flights then.

The miles don't expire for another 12 months so its nothing pressing to use them now, I was just momentarily excited to see I had them at all knowing I was off to London shortly...and then quickly disappointed a bit when I saw surcharges that weren't present on the exact same flight with AA.

Maybe I will just pick a BA flight and upgrade class just to use them though as I always hate to see miles go unused.

Thanks for the advice!

(unfortunately I'm flying out of pittsburgh which ba does not service hence the even looking at aa partner flights to begin with)
ukyank is offline  
Old Jan 26, 11, 1:50 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Posts: 6,515
Originally Posted by ukyank View Post
Just stumbled across this forum and thought I would ask the BA experts for some advice.

I mainly fly strictly AA but just found out that I had some BA miles for some reason in the past (102,400 to be exact) and being that I have an upcoming trip to London I thought 'perfect'.

Well, I went to book a flight and find that I can book the same exact flight on through AA using less miles and costing about $300 less, so it seems silly to use the BA miles there just because I have them. I'm guessing there's no way around the BA surcharges even when no segment of the flight actually is on BA?

So my question is mainly, if one has a load of AA miles and is traveling where both of these airlines fly, is it ever to one's advantage to use BA?

If not, do you have any advice for what one should do with his/her BA miles otherwise. (I even figured, well, I could blow all the miles and fly BA business & that just jacked the price disparity between the two even more...)

Thanks for any info
I believe you can use them on AA domestic redemptions, where you will only pay AA charges, similarly you can use them on CX to the Far East.

One other option (bar the MFUing already mentioned by other posters) would be to get the Chase credit card and earn enough for the 2-4-1 voucer at which point you'd probably have enough miles to travel TATL in F with a partner, at which point the charges seem less harsh! Obviously this isn't such a great plan if you'd be taking point spend away from any other schemes you're in
Cap'n Benj is offline  
Old Jan 26, 11, 2:03 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MAN
Programs: BAEC: SILVER. BMIDC SILVER
Posts: 668
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj View Post
I believe you can use them on AA domestic redemptions, where you will only pay AA charges, similarly you can use them on CX to the Far East.

One other option (bar the MFUing already mentioned by other posters) would be to get the Chase credit card and earn enough for the 2-4-1 voucer at which point you'd probably have enough miles to travel TATL in F with a partner, at which point the charges seem less harsh! Obviously this isn't such a great plan if you'd be taking point spend away from any other schemes you're in
I remember my early days on the BA Board, battered by numerous TLAs:

CX = Cathay Pacific
MFU = Miles For Upgrade
TATL = Transatlantic
F = First Class
andygeog is offline  
Old Jan 26, 11, 2:04 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 28,827
Small point ... to avoid them expiring you need a BA transaction. The cheapest "Buy BA Miles" will keep the account open. Then ...

Plan
Ahea
d
T8191 is offline  
Old Jan 26, 11, 2:15 pm
  #9  
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LON
Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,997
Originally Posted by ukyank View Post

(unfortunately I'm flying out of pittsburgh which ba does not service hence the even looking at aa partner flights to begin with)
I guess you will not want to be on a flight on 6th Feb!!
squeeler is offline  
Old Jan 26, 11, 2:18 pm
  #10  
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LON
Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,997
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj View Post
I believe you can use them on AA domestic redemptions, where you will only pay AA charges,
I tried that recently but to no avail. BA.COM let me get all the way to the payment page then stopped me, despite trying three different cards. Then I called BA in Germany (I am a Swiss EC member - EC=Exec Club and nothing more sinister!!) and they said I can only book AA in association with a BA ticket, which sounded wrong to me. I gave up.
squeeler is offline  
Old Jan 26, 11, 2:24 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Argentina
Programs: BAEC/IB
Posts: 37,780
Originally Posted by andygeog View Post
i remember my early days on the ba board, battered by numerous tlas:

Cx = cathay pacific
mfu = miles for upgrade
tatl = transatlantic
f = first class
hiddy = pita
HIDDY is offline  
Old Jan 26, 11, 2:24 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CNF
Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Posts: 2,049
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
Small point ... to avoid them expiring you need a BA transaction. The cheapest "Buy BA Miles" will keep the account open.
Actually the cheapest way is to buy something from Ebay via the shopping portal.
neuromancer is offline  
Old Jan 26, 11, 2:33 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 323
Originally Posted by squeeler View Post
I guess you will not want to be on a flight on 6th Feb!!
Only if he wants to see GB win the 'bowl!
Terminalator is offline  
Old Jan 26, 11, 2:56 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 170
Originally Posted by Terminalator View Post
Only if he wants to see GB win the 'bowl!
Haha,....Fortunately the Pack is the only team i can respect losing a SB too (not that that's going to happen of course )
ukyank is offline  
Old Jan 26, 11, 5:55 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Quite close to NQY
Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Posts: 9,321
Originally Posted by ukyank View Post
No, I was based in London for a bit a couple of years ago, found myself flying somewhere for business near daily, so must have racked up some miles on BA flights then.

The miles don't expire for another 12 months so its nothing pressing to use them now, I was just momentarily excited to see I had them at all knowing I was off to London shortly...and then quickly disappointed a bit when I saw surcharges that weren't present on the exact same flight with AA.

Maybe I will just pick a BA flight and upgrade class just to use them though as I always hate to see miles go unused.

Thanks for the advice!

(unfortunately I'm flying out of pittsburgh which ba does not service hence the even looking at aa partner flights to begin with)
Hi ukyank, sorry my previous post was from my ipod app which doesnt really show much info like how many posts someone has made, location, status and programmes etc!

welcome to FT and to the BA forum.

you have been offered some good advice here so far, could you tell us if you currently hold status with AA and what routes you normally fly with them and others as this could alter what i was thinking of suggesting?

cs
cornishsimon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread