Amex 241 - in to 1 airport, out of another?

Old Jan 24, 11, 10:39 am
sew
Original Poster

Amex 241 - in to 1 airport, out of another?

Have checked the sticky, think the answer is yes, but VERY quickly.

Can one use a 241 Amex vouchers and fly from LGW to one American city, and then fly back from another American city to LHR?

Is this possible (without an Amex 241) on a normal WTP fare and doing an MFU?

Thanks as ever.
Old Jan 24, 11, 10:58 am

241 definately OK as we have done it (the cities need to be in the same zone which it would seem they are) can't answer the other part though.
Old Jan 24, 11, 11:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA
2-4-1 is definitely possible for your routing.
I am about 95% sure that you can do it on the WT+ fare (the remaining 5% means I have no idea why they wouldn't allow it).
Old Jan 24, 11, 11:11 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
I just mfu'd a flight exactly as you describe. Had to ring to do it though. They did waive the fee.
Old Jan 24, 11, 11:18 am
sew
Original Poster

thanks all
Old Jan 24, 11, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Easy answer is yes. You can mix cabins also, if you have enough miles.

I travelled from Edinburgh to Orlando via LGW in Club World and returned JFK to Edinburgh via LHR in First using my Amex 2 for 1 voucher.

Had to do this offline, using the contact centre; but was not charged any extra since you still can't do this via the website.
Old Jan 24, 11, 1:13 pm

IME there's sometimes a bit of a debate around the waiving of the fee because it has to be done on the phone, so be prepared to fight for it a bit.
Old Jan 24, 11, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club,Skywards,Hilton Honours,Mariott Rewards,SPG
Originally Posted by JamieT View Post
IME there's sometimes a bit of a debate around the waiving of the fee because it has to be done on the phone, so be prepared to fight for it a bit.
I was charged the offline booking fee for making an open-jaw 241 F redemption for 3 pax this summer outbound to SFO and inbound from LAX.

When I queried it I was told that because it cannot be done online the offline fee applies. That is BA logic at its best.
Old Jan 24, 11, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by stevie-d View Post
I was charged the offline booking fee for making an open-jaw 241 F redemption for 3 pax this summer outbound to SFO and inbound from LAX.
I was charged the fee for a CW 241 journey to SFO/from LAX last smmer. On that occasion it was refunded because the agent had neglected to tell me about the fee when making the booking, but I was told that otherwise it would have applied.
Old Jan 24, 11, 7:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by JamieT View Post
I think it very much depends on the agent that you get in the call centre, general rule is that tell the agent what you want to do when you first get through, if you dont like the answer you get, hang up and try again with a different agent.

I recently had to book using my 2for1 F LHR-EWR returning CW JFK-LHR, explained what i wanted to do and then told the agent that as it couldnt be booked online i didnt think he could charge me the offline booking fee, he agreed and didnt charge me

cs
Old Jan 25, 11, 12:54 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
I booked a 2-4-1 CW return LHR-DEN for myself and a mate who is not on my HHA. This cannot (or could not then) be done online but the EC agent would not waive the fee despite a brief discussion of the logic (or lack) involved as well as the precedent of experiences posted here.

It is a shame that the staff at the EC often seem to be inconsistent with this (as well as the issue of losing TPs if you gain status between flights that are close together) as I think that it is the inconsistency of application rather than the rules themselves that can be more annoying.
Old Jan 25, 11, 2:41 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by stevie-d View Post

When I queried it I was told that because it cannot be done online the offline fee applies. That is BA logic at its best.
I hope you after quering about it, decided to call them, as definately if you cannot book a trip on line they have to waiver the 5 per pax offline booking fee, same thing applied with me on nov, doing LHR-LAS-LAX-LHR was at the time told no charge, then noticed on AMEX statement was different to what it should have been, phoned BA up, and they quickly refunded me the 10.00. No way they should charge you, fight for the money back.
Old Jan 25, 11, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Silver,
I booked an Amex 241 reward in F out to SFO and back from YVR.

I was also charged the extra fee for using the phone for a booking.
Old Jan 25, 11, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club,Skywards,Hilton Honours,Mariott Rewards,SPG
Originally Posted by BA5E View Post
I hope you after quering about it, decided to call them, as definately if you cannot book a trip on line they have to waiver the 5 per pax offline booking fee, same thing applied with me on nov, doing LHR-LAS-LAX-LHR was at the time told no charge, then noticed on AMEX statement was different to what it should have been, phoned BA up, and they quickly refunded me the 10.00. No way they should charge you, fight for the money back.
I did query it at the time, the agent agreed it did not make sense, but his supervisor would not allow it to be waived.

I later queried it with YouFirst and they replied that a reservations manager had confirmed that because 241 open jaws cannot be booked online, the offline fee has to apply. Hence my original comment about BA logic.
Old Jan 25, 11, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
I booked an open jaw yesterday MFU x2 lhr-jfk, phx-lhr and no fee charged.

Search this Thread