Book now for long haul Summer Flight....?

Old Jan 23, 11, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Book now for long haul Summer Flight....?

hi there,

I am kind of wary of the BA 'best price promise' so want to have a relative feeling of comfort that I am buying the most reasonable BA ticket I can on the first occasion for our family holiday from the UK to the US Southwest ( arriving in Phoenix on 28 July )...

The current return economy price for a family of 4 is just under 2800....

Historically, does BA have any summer sales early in the new year...? If so, when are they likely to happen...?

Based on the opinion of frequent BA flyers, any opinions on whether this is a good price for a family of 4 and I should just go for it now.... I cant help thinking that the amount of long haul flyers is going to be under pressure this year....

Buying a ticket all seems to be about good luck and timing, but any advice appreciated!!!

Des
Old Jan 23, 11, 1:58 pm

Hi, and welcome to FT!

You are right in general to be wary of the BA Promise. Its not a promise to be the lowest price, its a promise to pay the difference if you find it cheaper elsewhere. But many hoops to jump through to make it difficult to claim. That said, the price isnt usually too different.

A quick scan on BA.com shows the current sale (not covering Summer) has PHX at about 430 in the sale, but then you can get pretty much this price in low season outside of the sale period anyway. The problem you have is that you want to travel at peak time; summer holiday season. The prices for this period are unlikely to get to bargain level should a sale arise, and unfortunately you're probably going to have to lump it (700 per person for an economy ticket isnt much fun).

The following link is to a history of the BA sales over the past couple of years, this will give you an idea of when the sales were and what sort of rates were on offer.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...les-ex-uk.html

Good luck.
Old Jan 23, 11, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Delta Skymiles, Priority Club Gold
long haul flights

600-700 pp seems to be about the going rate for USA long haul in the school summer holidays. Prices drop a lot in September.

Jason Fisher
Old Jan 23, 11, 2:01 pm

I have always purchased tickets as soon as possible to secure the best prices. You never know when the next sale will be, if there will be one. The current sale ends 25th January, so I would advise to buy now!

Others on this board would not agree with this principle, but that is personal choice. If you find the price acceptable, and you can afford it, then go for it.
Old Jan 23, 11, 3:43 pm

Programs: GGL, Cats protection
if its economy you want, is it cheaper to fly Southwest or US airways to an East coast destination and then JFK, EWR,PHL to LHR.?? we certainly find it cheaper that way for PHX and MCO
Old Jan 23, 11, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

There has been in the past few years a summer sale for July-august certainly in the premium cabins ( not sure if economy was included in it). As other posters have mentioned, if the price is good for you I would book it now.

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 23, 11, 3:51 pm

Might help:

35 discount on flights, hotels and car rental bookings, when you spend 200 or more.

To redeem this offer visit:

promos.opodo.co.uk/evoucher/amex.html

and enter e-code AMEXFLY for flight books or AMEXBED for hotel bookings or AMEXCAR for car rental bookings.

One code per bookings.Offer is subject to availability and available for 1,500 bookings in each category.

Valid on bookings until 31st March and travel anytime.
Old Jan 23, 11, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I would book now, especially as the sale is about to end! We booked our CW flights to Punta Cana at the start of the month and got a great price!

Search this Thread