Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Domestic flex - take flight a day earlier? (in about 5 hours)

Domestic flex - take flight a day earlier? (in about 5 hours)

Old Jan 23, 11, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Lifetime, BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Question Domestic flex - take flight a day earlier? (in about 5 hours)

I have a corporate purchased ticket on a domestic flight tomorrow morning at 7am, LHR-EDI - it is booked into J class and is probably a route fare ticket. I want to fly out tonight now instead (9pm flight) and have a return ticket later in the week.

I could call my travel agency to make the change, however as it is out of their normal working hours that will cost my client ~50 to have the change made (A policy I dislike). I tried to tweak the timing online using BA's manage my booking but it will only let me change the flight on the day of departure, and not to the day before (it gives an error message when trying to change the date mentioning that segments may now be out of order and this wasn't in the typical ba.com problems list).

Is there any issue with just going to LHR and getting them to tweak the ticket, therefore avoiding the corporate travel agency fee? I know I should really use the corporate TA but the Yorkshireman in me dislikes a fee if it can be avoided

Is a J fare generally flexible on days as well as times on the day? I can't seem to find the fare rules for the ticket detailed on my receipt and the BA website doesn't give me the option to view them, nor does Sabre. Trying to buy a similar ticket just makes a note in the fare rules that it may be repriced depending on the "new fare on the reissue date".

(Will probably take this approach as the worst case scenario would be them making me call the agency whilst stood there.)
Old Jan 23, 11, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
If it is a J fare, then as far as I know, it is fully flexible -i.e. both the date and time can be changed for free, and it is fully refundable.

Before you go to LHR, give BA a call and ask them to do it for you.

EDIT to add -the reason you can't change it is quite possibly because it is too close to departure to do it online. Phone BA and they should be able to do it for you provided there is availability.
Old Jan 23, 11, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
J class is totally flexible at anytime without charges. If booked through a teavel agent though the change functionality of suppressed in MMB so that the travel agent can stil charge their own change fee.

Just go to the ticket desk and ask them to change it. Should be no problem.
Old Jan 23, 11, 8:09 am

I have done this before on a "Business UK" fare. The ticket desk was able to accommodate my request, but make sure you turn up at the ticket desk well in advance in order for them to process you. In my experience it did take some time for the agent to amend the booking and get me on the flight.

I must say that I have only done this once (change of day) and I am unsure if this was a one off and the agent was bending all sorts of rules to get me on the flight - it may not be the norm!
Old Jan 23, 11, 8:11 am

IAMORGAN and edi-traveller got there before me
Old Jan 23, 11, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
My company uses Reed & mackay as our corporate TA for most things. I've never had a problem with doing this type of thing before. They won't touch it if it's a few days away from travel, but if you phone them, say "my T/A is closed and I need to travel today", I'm sure someone in Newcastle will be able to help you.
Old Jan 23, 11, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
I was coming back LCY-EDI last Wednesday booked on the 20.15 flight on a J Class ticket.

Arrived at LCY at 17.35 and they changed me at the check in desk onto the 18.10 - so no problems with a J Class.
Old Jan 23, 11, 8:30 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

In my experience, changing the outbound requires a call to our Corporate TA; inbound can be changed by BA (providing the request is made after the outbound has been flown)
Old Jan 23, 11, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Lifetime, BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
My answer was similar to rossmacd's experience;
Went to the ticket desk, a minute of clicking and I was changed without comment or query. Handed over my bag to the same agent and then through security. All smooth and how it should be, and satisfied the yorkshireman in me

All my online ticketing and ba website instantly reflected the change too.

Thanks for all the rapid responses.

Search this Thread