Yyz-lhr-yyz 747?

Old Jan 22, 11, 8:15 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Trinidad & Tobago
Posts: 361
Yyz-lhr-yyz 747?

Can anyone tell me if BA is using 747s on this route? I tried a lookup at ba.com and it shows 767s on the dates I tried. I'm looking at Jul 2011 out and Aug 2011 return

thanks
peter1962 is offline  
Old Jan 22, 11, 8:28 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BOS, LAX
Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, SPG Plat
Posts: 3,877
No, it looks like the summer schedule has a 767 for the 92 and a 777 for the 98.
DWFI is offline  
Old Jan 22, 11, 8:28 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYZ
Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Posts: 5,557
Not since 2009 BA92 is a 777 except for Thursdays this spring when it's a 767. BA98 is always a 767 unless BA somehow can find an even older crappier plane to put on the route in future.
Crampedin13A is offline  
Old Jan 22, 11, 8:37 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYZ
Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Posts: 5,557
Originally Posted by DWFI View Post
No, it looks like the summer schedule has a 767 for the 92 and a 777 for the 98.
Well that's good news for the summer at least. I prefer the timing of 98 but hate the 767 so it's good to see that they have switched the 767 to 92 with a 777 on the Thursday now.
Crampedin13A is offline  
Old Jan 22, 11, 10:28 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BOS, LAX
Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, SPG Plat
Posts: 3,877
Yeah, the 777 was/is on the 92 for this year's winter schedule. But I've found that it's generally harder to get I class on the 98, so I guess BA has found that the 98 is getting more pax than the earlier 92.
DWFI is offline  
Old Jan 22, 11, 11:45 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Toronto and Ireland
Programs: BAEC SILVER, AEROPLAN back of the bus
Posts: 480
Originally Posted by DWFI View Post
Yeah, the 777 was/is on the 92 for this year's winter schedule. But I've found that it's generally harder to get I class on the 98, so I guess BA has found that the 98 is getting more pax than the earlier 92.
It seems impossible (compared to last year) to get a Club reward seat on the earlier 92. Only availability (unless you book in First) is 98.
toothpick is offline  
Old Jan 23, 11, 1:58 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wild Wiltshire
Programs: GGL, Cats protection
Posts: 3,371
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A View Post
Not since 2009 BA92 is a 777 except for Thursdays this spring when it's a 767. BA98 is always a 767 unless BA somehow can find an even older crappier plane to put on the route in future.
I thought they saved all the older crappier planes for PHL
pinkcat is offline  
Old Jan 23, 11, 3:34 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London
Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 6,647
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A View Post
Well that's good news for the summer at least. I prefer the timing of 98 but hate the 767 so it's good to see that they have switched the 767 to 92 with a 777 on the Thursday now.
+ 1.

For me, it means a more leisurely start to the day in the CCR and less guilt regarding champagne drinking in the morning.

Sadly, it has been a while since I have enjoyed the 747 on this route, as you mentioned above.

The other downside for me is that they seem to use the 777s with the old, old IFE, which is not AVOD and has tiny, tiny screens in F. Granted they provide small portable players, but it is disappointing. Look forward to the NF on these 'planes in the future.

Last edited by TravellerFrequently; Jan 23, 11 at 5:48 am Reason: Re lack of AVOD
TravellerFrequently is offline  
Old Jan 23, 11, 5:25 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 22
Originally Posted by peter1962 View Post
Can anyone tell me if BA is using 747s on this route? I tried a lookup at ba.com and it shows 767s on the dates I tried. I'm looking at Jul 2011 out and Aug 2011 return

thanks
they use 777-200 Aircraft with 4 classes
Internationaltradeadvisor is offline  
Old Jan 23, 11, 11:43 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BOS, LAX
Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, SPG Plat
Posts: 3,877
Originally Posted by toothpick View Post
It seems impossible (compared to last year) to get a Club reward seat on the earlier 92. Only availability (unless you book in First) is 98.
Hmmm, just picked an arbitrary date and here's what I got.
Admittedly I certainly don't redeem from PHL, as when I redeem on BA it's J and that's ex-JFK for the UD, so this may be a lucky hit.

OTOH, something was said about lack of availability of BA? 1 month out and space looks great in all cabins, I don't know what there is to complain about!

[KVS Availability Tool 6.0.4/Diamond - Amadeus: Awards/OneWorld/AU-QFA-MLT]

PHL Philadelphia Metro / Philadelphia Intl PA US = PHL TTN [KPHL]
LHR London Heathrow UK [EGLL]
WED 09 Feb 2011 | 1 Seat

Carrier Flight From Depart To Arrive A/C St Availability
--------- ------ ---- -------- ---- -------- --- -- ------------------
BA 66 PHL 18:55 LHR 06:50 +1 777 FS+ CS+ WS+ YS+
BA 68 PHL 22:05 LHR 10:25 +1 767 FS- CS- WS+ YS+
DWFI is offline  
Old Jan 28, 11, 8:14 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Trinidad & Tobago
Posts: 361
Our plans have been refined.

Now we're looking at Dep YYZ Jul 15 and return Aug 22. However AA tells me that there are no Business Class seats to be had on BA. For some reason First is available, but somehow I don't think it's worth the extra 12,500 miles ;-)

They do tell me that if I choose to depart PHL there is lots of availability.

While that is an option I'd prefer to fly in and out of YYZ.

I don't have access to lookups as you do. Would you be able to give me some idea of BA Business availability for 2 seats out and 3 seats back between JUl 15 and Aug 31?

thanks


Originally Posted by DWFI View Post
Hmmm, just picked an arbitrary date and here's what I got.
Admittedly I certainly don't redeem from PHL, as when I redeem on BA it's J and that's ex-JFK for the UD, so this may be a lucky hit.

OTOH, something was said about lack of availability of BA? 1 month out and space looks great in all cabins, I don't know what there is to complain about!

[KVS Availability Tool 6.0.4/Diamond - Amadeus: Awards/OneWorld/AU-QFA-MLT]

PHL Philadelphia Metro / Philadelphia Intl PA US = PHL TTN [KPHL]
LHR London Heathrow UK [EGLL]
WED 09 Feb 2011 | 1 Seat

Carrier Flight From Depart To Arrive A/C St Availability
--------- ------ ---- -------- ---- -------- --- -- ------------------
BA 66 PHL 18:55 LHR 06:50 +1 777 FS+ CS+ WS+ YS+
BA 68 PHL 22:05 LHR 10:25 +1 767 FS- CS- WS+ YS+
peter1962 is offline  
Old Jan 28, 11, 8:31 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Posts: 4,037
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently View Post
+ 1.

For me, it means a more leisurely start to the day in the CCR and less guilt regarding champagne drinking in the morning.

Sadly, it has been a while since I have enjoyed the 747 on this route, as you mentioned above.

The other downside for me is that they seem to use the 777s with the old, old IFE, which is not AVOD and has tiny, tiny screens in F. Granted they provide small portable players, but it is disappointing. Look forward to the NF on these 'planes in the future.

They used NF on this route in November I noticed as I took my place in the flying dormitory!
itsmeitisss is offline  
Old Apr 15, 11, 9:53 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Trinidad & Tobago
Posts: 361
Just had a look at my reservations and AA (whose miles I'm using for the trip) and BA now show 747-400 on both flights. Can anyone confirm this?

thanks as always for your help
peter1962 is offline  
Old Apr 15, 11, 11:02 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: BNA (ex YYZ)
Programs: OW Saphire, AA PLT 1MM, UA & Alitalia Gold, Hilton Diamond, Loews PLT, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT, etc.
Posts: 164
Originally Posted by peter1962 View Post
Just had a look at my reservations and AA (whose miles I'm using for the trip) and BA now show 747-400 on both flights. Can anyone confirm this?

thanks as always for your help
Just looked at 15 July YYZ-LHR BA 98 and 22 August LHR-YYZ BA 99 on BA.com and they are indeed both 747s. It's good to see the 747 back on this route though 777 NF on BA 98 was quite enjoyable!
TheFlyingFoodie is offline  
Old Apr 16, 11, 4:22 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Programs: BA silver, aeroplan
Posts: 776
looks like the 747 is on for the summer for one of the flights between YYZ-LHR
its been discussed on another thread sometime during the last month I think
not sure the exact dates but its until mid sept I believe
I'm taking my first trip with one of my daughters for her graduation present to visit another who is in Edinburgh in FIRST, CW over to London and MFU to FIRST on the 747 back from London, not a bad present and she thinks its all in economy..!!
what are the chances of the 747 having NF by July on this route ?
aircrashsurvivor is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread