FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Business class on BA 777? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1175459-business-class-ba-777-a.html)

pease Jan 22, 2011 4:29 pm

Business class on BA 777?

We're thinking of flying business (Club World I think it's called?) from Phila to Heathrow. We've never flown on a plane with those completely flat seats. Does everyone find them comfortable? Main thing I'm confused about is the flying-backwards thing. I know I couldn't manage the trick, but my husband thinks he could. But we don't understand how it works: i.e. when we're sitting having dinner or whatever, are we not sitting next to each other?? One person is sitting forward, the other backward?? Isn't it difficult to feel "together"? Does one have to twist one's head in all sorts of crazy ways-- I mean to feel as if one is "with" her partner? Are these kinds of seats mainly for business travelers, who usually desire to be "separate"?
Also: How do those (much less expensive) World Traveler Plus seats compare?
Thanks very much for help-- we're oldsters, but pretty much newbies to anything up from coach flying.

Swanhunter Jan 22, 2011 4:35 pm

You face one another so in some respects you are more together than in a conventional seating arrangement. Flying backwards is just fine for me, I fact I've not heard of anyone having a problem with it.

WT+ seats are pretty similar to a US Domestic First seat. Fine for a day flight, rubbish on an overnight.

PETER01 Jan 22, 2011 4:39 pm

You will feel 'together' and once you're up you cant tell if you're flying backwards.

Have a read of this and there is a mass of information, facts, trip reports opinions etc.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ad-sticky.html

HilFly Jan 22, 2011 4:45 pm

I actually prefer flying backwards.

The center E & F seats are side by side and very private. Mr HilFly and I like them when flying together. A caveat: Only the rearmost E & F pair have easy aisle access - the other E & F pairs involve stepping over the legs of another passenger if they are using their footstool. This is no problem for Mr H but I cannot do it.

Dave Z Jan 22, 2011 7:10 pm

I did PHL-LHR in CW last Sep and found it very comfortable. I think i prefer flying backwards and it's allegedly safer too.

pease Jan 23, 2011 8:29 am

Thanks so very much for the replies. In our late 70's, we've decided to splurge and do Club class seats-- hoping maybe to get some sleep, which has never happened for me on any flight; 'twould be marvelous.
I'm pretty sure we'd prefer the window/aisle seats. Can anyone suggest which seats in Club are preferable? which maybe less so? E.g. are all the window views unobstructed? Are any rows more quiet than others? more convenient to get in and out of?
We're not very frequent flyers, so appreciate any help-- we need it!
MANY THANKS!

Sixth Freedom Jan 23, 2011 8:37 am

Originally Posted by pease (Post 15716639)
I'm pretty sure we'd prefer the window/aisle seats. Can anyone suggest which seats in Club are preferable? which maybe less so? E.g. are all the window views unobstructed? Are any rows more quiet than others? more convenient to get in and out of?

For a four cabin 777 with six rows/48 seats in the cabin:
* Row 13 is the only row guaranteed to have a full complement of windows
* Row 15 is the only row with direct aisle access from a window seat
* Row 10 might be the quietest as it is furthest forward

ASUDan130 Jan 23, 2011 8:42 am

What do you mean by full compliment? Is that 3 windows per row? Lets say I went with 11 does that mean theres only 1 or 2 direct windows.

Sixth Freedom Jan 23, 2011 8:46 am

Originally Posted by ASUDan130 (Post 15716694)
What do you mean by full compliment? Is that 3 windows per row? Lets say I went with 11 does that mean theres only 1 or 2 direct windows.

It means that there are the full 4 windows in a row and that there is no missing window.

If you are on a 777 with 3 rows of WTP and 5 rows of F, and I think also the 777 with 4 rows of WTP and 4 rows of F then row 11 is missing a window somewhere and so is, I think, row 14.

If however you are on a 777 with 5 rows of WTP and 4 rows of F then the missing windows are at row 12 and I think also at row 15.

Travelnut1974 Jan 23, 2011 10:25 am

me and my partner flew Club London to Orlando return last November on a 3 class 777 (no First class) in Seats 1E and 1F both ways - these middle seats are facing backward and we thought they were great.

so comfortable with plenty of space for us and it feels once the dividers are up like a personal cabin and very private although if people on the outside seats are sleeping it may be an issue for you climbing over them - not a big climb over but you do need to step over their footstool if you need to get up to goto the bathroom or venture to the Club Kitchen for a snack or drink.

on the overnight flight we had a good 4hours each sleep in the bed position - was lovely to stretch out and actually sleep - i cant in in World Traveller and for some reason i was worse in Traveller Plus - didnt find them good at all for overnight flights.

Athlete95 Jan 23, 2011 10:36 am

Originally Posted by pease (Post 15716639)
I'm pretty sure we'd prefer the window/aisle seats. Can anyone suggest which seats in Club are preferable?

My parents also prefer the window/aisle pairs, when we travel as a family we get 2 window/aisle pairs and a single window seat. We have 2JK,3JK and 4K held for our flight to the Caribbean next July. On the 4-class 777, I would recommend 10AB/JK, as these seem to be some of the quietest seats in the cabin and are close to the exit door so you are among the first to get off.

From what I have heard about 15AB/JK, they are good seats but are quite far down the plane and are adjacent to the WT+ bassinets, which could mean a crying baby will be near! Personally, I do not find the misaligned windows to be that much of a problem. I think 10AB/JK are a very good choice!

pease Jan 23, 2011 5:37 pm

Thanks very much for all the thoughtful and detailed feedback: it really helps!
Question: Does anyone ever feel claustrophobic in those cubicles?

joejet Jan 23, 2011 5:51 pm

My 6 year old does find it claustrophobic so I normally get a middle pair with him or put him on the asile. Do try and get the last row in the front cabin on a 3 class 777 either centre or window as you can walk around to get out, the climbing over can be a pain. On a 4 class 777 I like row 10, missing window though.
Have a wonderful trip and make sure you ask the cabin crew for help with the seat/ divider if your not sure how to use them.
Joejet