Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Deluxe Travel Insurance, is it worth anything?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

We were due to fly with British Airways from Manchester to Delhi via London on the 29th December. There was a fault with the Manchester flight which took so long to resolve that BA could not get us to London and as a result we missed our flight to India. We travelled the following day and arrived 24 hours late.

We stayed at Manchester Airport overnight and wrote to BA on the 30th December to claim the costs but have not heard back yet. Meanwhile, we wrote to our travel insurance (British Airways own policy) and have been informed that travel delay only applies to delays to our international flight not internal journeys and that our international flight was not delayed but missed because of cancellation of the internal flight and they are therefore unable to consider our claim. Where do we stand on this? As far as I am concerned we booked a flight to Delhi from Manchester which involved a transfer in London?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:53 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
ademanuele, welcome to FlyerTalk. As this is specific to BA, I'll move the thread to FlyerTalk's dedicated forum on BA. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Was MAN-LHR on a separate ticket as LHR-DEL, with the insurance being bought with the LHR-DEL ticket ?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 8:27 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

BA should have put you up in a hotel at MAN.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
You made the flight.. and one of the legs of the flight got cancelled.. sounds to me that its' BA's responsibility to take of your party and rebook tickets at no charge.. A long delay, BA should have compensated you including putting you guys up in a hotel.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
I booked the flight from Manchester to Delhi so I feel that BA should have organised the hotel at Manchester, they basically did not want to know. BA no longer have staff at Manchester and use Servisair, frankly it was chaotic. What I am annoyed about is that:
1) BA were not helpful at the airport and have not responded to an email sent to them on 30th December (to which I received a confirmation)
2) BA's own insurance policy are unable to consider the claim. I suspect that this is incorrect and I will call them on Monday.
I suspect I will eventually be able to get the costs back, but are either BA or the insurance company liable for compensation given that we lost a day of our holiday?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.