Newbie MFU question

Old Jan 22, 11, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Newbie MFU question

So... I'm a fairly new BAEC member, just starting to have enough miles for an upgrade. (Sorry if this is a FAQ - in that case can someone with better searching skills point me to the relevant thread please!)

I've read the stickies, twice, and a statement in the ex-EU guide has got me confused:
When comparing WT+ prices for potential MFU's, don't forget that MFU's from countries further away from the UK ('Europe 2' zone in BA terminology) require more miles than MFU's from 'Europe 1'. You should factor in the worth of the extra miles needed when considering which fare offers best value.
Does this mean just that if you want MFU for all flights in your journey, it's going to cost more miles, or that you can't MFU individual sectors?

I would be flying TATL HEL-LHR-somewhere, and would be looking to upgrade the long-haul LHR-somewhere sectors from WT+ to J, without spending any miles on upgrading the HEL-LHR flights. So questions:

1. Can I?
2. If no then can I upgrade the whole journey, and how would the miles be calculated (Europe 1 vs Europe 3, and with no WT+ class on HEL-LHR)?
3. Also, do the HEL-LHR flights need to be booked into Y B H to qualify for an MFU on the long-haul, or would any discount fare class do?
Old Jan 22, 11, 11:09 am

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Originally Posted by HELflyer View Post
I would be flying TATL HEL-LHR-somewhere, and would be looking to upgrade the long-haul LHR-somewhere sectors from WT+ to J, without spending any miles on upgrading the HEL-LHR flights. So questions:

1. Can I?
2. If no then can I upgrade the whole journey, and how would the miles be calculated (Europe 1 vs Europe 3, and with no WT+ class on HEL-LHR)?
3. Also, do the HEL-LHR flights need to be booked into Y B H to qualify for an MFU on the long-haul, or would any discount fare class do?
Hello Helflyer

In my experience you can't MFU only the long-haul flight, you must MFU the whole leg. You normally buy a ticket HEL-somewhere. Not HEL-LHR and then another ticket LHR-somewhere. LHR is just a connection point.

It will cost you 15000 miles to upgrade one leg (at least for TATL and southern Africa)

If there's no U-class availability on the HEL-LHR but on the long-haul, you can phone BA and still ask for an MFU but it will nevertheless cost you 15000 miles even if you travel in economy on the HEL-LHR.

Only certain booking classes can be upgraded. I only use "book and upgrade" on ba.com so I'm not sure exactly what booking classes are applicable. I do know that the short-haul is booked in Y. WT+ is usually booked in T.
Old Jan 22, 11, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Mm okay, you're in ARN which is "Europe 2", so 15000 would be one quarter (0.5x for WT+ to J, and half of that for one way) of the North America base mileage. That figures... so I guess for me (Europe 3) it would be one quarter of the base 65000, or 16250 miles each way.

When you spend the miles, do you get anything extra on the ARN-LHR flight, I guess they won't upgrade you from Y to J when there's no WT+ cabin on that flight - or do they?
Old Jan 22, 11, 1:34 pm

Mm okay, you're in ARN which is "Europe 2", so 15000 would be one quarter (0.5x for WT+ to J, and half of that for one way) of the North America base mileage. That figures... so I guess for me (Europe 3) it would be one quarter of the base 65000, or 16250 miles each way.

When you spend the miles, do you get anything extra on the ARN-LHR flight, I guess they won't upgrade you from Y to J when there's no WT+ cabin on that flight - or do they?
I usually "book and upgrade" on ba.com. I pay for a WT+ ARN-LHR-somewhere and then upgrade the trip with miles, usually 30K.

I then get Club Europe to LHR and Club World from there.

If you upgrade an economy ticket to WT+ with miles, then you will be in economy to LHR and from there in WT+.
Old Jan 22, 11, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Ok, thanks for the info - nice to know that our extra 5K-7.5K miles at least gets us something, though I'd prefer not to upgrade or spend any miles on the HEL-LHR leg (not very good value for just the curtain and catering...)

Does this mean that if I were to book for example LHR-SIN-SYD, I would not be able to upgrade the LHR-SIN segment only? Does it make a difference if I would have a stopover in SIN, or have LHR-SIN ticketed in WT+ but SIN-SYD in J?
Old Jan 22, 11, 2:29 pm

Ok, thanks for the info - nice to know that our extra 5K-7.5K miles at least gets us something, though I'd prefer not to upgrade or spend any miles on the HEL-LHR leg (not very good value for just the curtain and catering...)

Does this mean that if I were to book for example LHR-SIN-SYD, I would not be able to upgrade the LHR-SIN segment only? Does it make a difference if I would have a stopover in SIN, or have LHR-SIN ticketed in WT+ but SIN-SYD in J?
As far as I know, you can only MFU a leg, not individual flights that make up that leg. A stopover is just a longer wait before the next flight on a leg.

You can of course do individual bookings (LHR-SIN) and then a separate (SIN-SYD). Then it is possible to upgrade only SIN-SYD. Might cost more though.

Also, MFU to SYD is according to many posters here difficult as it's a very popular destination. MFU will only work on BA metal, not QF codeshare.

One more thing, a ticket from HEL via LHR is cheaper than a ticket directly from LHR. This is caused by heavy taxes for LHR departures.
Old Jan 23, 11, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lobengula View Post
Also, MFU to SYD is according to many posters here difficult as it's a very popular destination. MFU will only work on BA metal, not QF codeshare.
If your trip includes codeshares on non-BA metal, does it just mean you sit in the class you paid for on the non-BA leg (but they still take the miles(?)) or that you can't MFU at all if your trip is not all BA metal?

For me that could be a problem, as most flights HEL-LHR are AY operated - I think there's just one BA operated flight daily, which doesn't connect that nicely with most onward flights. Even if the LHR lounges are nice, well... I'm not looking toward spending several hours in them.

One more thing, a ticket from HEL via LHR is cheaper than a ticket directly from LHR. This is caused by heavy taxes for LHR departures.
Actually, on that particular route, it seems HEL-LHR-SYD can be several hundred cheaper than LHR-SYD if booked in J, but not so in WT+ (HEL-LHR added 450 to the price on one random date I checked). I suspect the J difference may be in part due to taxes, but perhaps more a marketing decision to bring the J fare on par with direct AY/QF flights from HEL. For WT+ they wouldn't need to do the same, as the HEL-SIN (or BKK) segment is on AY metal which only has Y and J cabins, so it's not an option for people looking for a price and product between those.

This about SYD isn't purely hypothetical, we might be planning a trip there some day - and while I'm not saying 50K miles per person for MFU (or 62,5K ex-HEL) wouldn't be a good value, the problem would be collecting the required 115K for two by the time we'd be booking the tickets, so we might not have enough for all segments (assuming we can even find availability on all).

Upgrading one way only is of course one option for less miles, as is making the onward leg from SIN/BKK/? a separate booking. But at least it seems we'd be better off booking the long-hauls ex-LHR to bring the miles requirement down to 100K from 115K - would even save some money if including HEL-LHR indeed costs 450 more, as there's no shortage of options for HEL-LON at that price...
Old Jun 21, 11, 4:42 am
JSC

As far as I know, you can only MFU a leg, not individual flights that make up that leg. A stopover is just a longer wait before the next flight on a leg.

You can of course do individual bookings (LHR-SIN) and then a separate (SIN-SYD). Then it is possible to upgrade only SIN-SYD. Might cost more though.

Just reviving this thread as it was the only one I could find about MFUs with a stopover...

So if I want to MFU from WT+ to J on a flight that is LHR-SIN (stopover 2 days)-SYD, that I have to see availability on both legs? I have been tracking and availability does seem to come up for the 2 days in advance but nothing either side of it. So I'd have to get BA to hold an MFU on LHR-SIN until the SIN-SYD availability appears 2 days later if I was to be able to book this. Anyone succeeded in this?
Old Jun 23, 11, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Coming back to my old thread, not quite as complete a newbie any more (thanks to the excellent forum), and going to reach Silver in a few weeks - barring any ash clouds, strikes or other unexpected events.

Since starting the thread, I'm pretty sure I've read dicussion about single sector upgrades in other threads, but those might have been about paid upgrades through MMB. I think there was also a thread some days ago saying you could upgrade a leg with multiple flights when there's no availability on all of them, but would have to spend the full miles even if part of the trip you will be sat in your originally booked cabin. That could probably be found somewhere on the latest few pages on the forum, I didn't save the link.

What I've been wondering since posting the original question though, is if you book a circular trip A-B-C-A, how would that work for upgrades? Would you have to designate B-C as part of either outbound or inbound at booking time, and that would determine if it has to be upgraded together with A-B or C-A?

Separate bookings as discussed would of course be one way around this. With two separate tickets and PNRs you wouldn't be protected for delays, but would there be any problem checking your bags through to the final destination, and staying airside at the connection point, assuming both flights are BA or at least oneworld?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: