Miles booking using someone else's payment card

Old Jan 20, 11, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Blue for now.
Miles booking using someone else's payment card

I'm being 'gifted' a flight by a friend to attend their birthday weekend away (long story... friend owes me for a previous trip)... they are looking at buying me a LCC flight, but having checked availability I could reasonably do the flight using miles at less cost than the LCC for the BA taxes and charges (and get Club to boot).

Can I get them to book the flight for me on ba.com with their payment card (we'd do it together so i'd be logged onto my BAEC Account)?

Would there be a problem at check-in? (I would not have the payment card with me)
Old Jan 20, 11, 11:12 am

There is a tick box where you can say that the person paying will not be travelling.
Old Jan 20, 11, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Our last miles booking wouldn't allow us the option of checking the tick box that the person paying wouldn't be travelling for some reason.
As we were using my wife's credit card which is in her maiden name rather than married name (very common here) I thought we wouldn't be able to use it but the payment went through no problem.
However we will have the card at check-in so no problem there...not sure about your situation.
Old Jan 20, 11, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Our last miles booking wouldn't allow us the option of checking the tick box that the person paying wouldn't be travelling for some reason.
It worked for me about six months ago.
Old Jan 20, 11, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
It worked for me about six months ago.
Do you have a household account SteveF?

The box was greyed out on ours.
Old Jan 20, 11, 2:43 pm

Do you have a household account SteveF?

The box was greyed out on ours.
Yes, I was paying for tickets for my son with my BA Amex.
Old Jan 20, 11, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
Yes, I was paying for tickets for my son with my BA Amex.
I think it might be configured in such a way that if the head of the HHA is one of the passengers travelling then it might not give you the option. That's my theory anyway.
Old Jan 20, 11, 2:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
You can, but be aware that the check-in agent may give you a hard time. I usually buy tickets for my mother (travelling without me) and the check-in process has always been uneventful, but last month she sent me a text from T5 which said she'd been sent to the ticketing desk from check-in because she didn't have the credit card used to book the flight.

She was asked for additional photo ID and proof of address. Luckily she had both and the "problem" was swiftly resolved.
Old Jan 20, 11, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MilesCollector View Post

She was asked for additional photo ID and proof of address. Luckily she had both and the "problem" was swiftly resolved.
Piece of bloody nonsense if you ask me.
Old Jan 21, 11, 3:01 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Gumbieben View Post
I'm being 'gifted' a flight by a friend to attend their birthday weekend away (long story... friend owes me for a previous trip)... they are looking at buying me a LCC flight, but having checked availability I could reasonably do the flight using miles at less cost than the LCC for the BA taxes and charges (and get Club to boot).

Can I get them to book the flight for me on ba.com with their payment card (we'd do it together so i'd be logged onto my BAEC Account)?

Would there be a problem at check-in? (I would not have the payment card with me)
This shouldn't be a problem as my uncle booked and paid for my recent trip to NYC using his BA AMEX card, oh and he did it through HIS BAEC account. We also looked at doing it through my BAEC account and we couldn't see a problem if we wanted to do it that way instead
Old Jan 21, 11, 3:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Piece of bloody nonsense if you ask me.
It's to do with cardholder being present or not.
Old Jan 21, 11, 6:25 am

Programs: BA GfL
In the past when I've made miles bookings using my CC for others, I've had BA mention during the booking process that the CC needs to be presented in order for the person to travel. In every case, I have just told the agent to make a note on the booking to the effect that the CC holder will not be traveling, and things go smoothly at the airport.
Old Jan 21, 11, 7:45 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), SPG (Gold), MR (Gold)
In what circumstances would you be required to produce a credit card at bag drop? (I say bag drop as I always check in online).

I have flown BA many times (and Virgin too - both mainly TATL) and never been asked by anyone to show my credit card.
Old Jan 21, 11, 8:03 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
I gave a JFK-LHR-JFK flight to someone yesterday who needs to travel tonight. The economy fare was over $2000 so they accepted my offer of an award flight costing 50k miles and about 200. They wanted to pay the cash component but my name was not changeable as the cardholder. Maybe there is a way to do it but time was running out so i just booked and paid myself.

Is there a way that you can use someone else's credit card to pay for a miles booking from youir account?

James
Old Jan 21, 11, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by James S View Post
Is there a way that you can use someone else's credit card to pay for a miles booking from youir account?
Possibly but this may sound alarm bells for the your account to be frozen and audited as someone selling miles would show up as having the same arrangements.

If the payment was on your own charge, it is easier to argue this as a gift.

Search this Thread