Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

107K miles and no idea what to do with them

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AT Elite, US Silver, MR Silver, HH Gold, BA Blue

I signed up for a BA credit card promotion, and now I have 107K miles. I earned them in Jan. 2010, and I'm sure they'll run out sometime.

I live in MKE, and can fly out of ORD. I travel some for work, but not internationally. I also have a wife and three small kids at home, so it's not like we're taking a European vacation anytime soon.

I've looked at spending the miles on AA, but every time I look on BA.com, it tells me there's no availability.

So ... people that are smarter than me ... what do I do?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Where would you want to go I can see some availability from ORD- Orlando in May as a starter online.

I believe people have said on here, you get better availability if you phone.

Your best bet may just be to phone the Exec club, with some dates and destinations and see what they can do for you.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Perhaps you could save the miles until you and the wife have the time and cash to drop off the kids with the grandparents and head off to London in Club World using BA's miles for upgrade facility.

It is 12.5k miles each way per passenger, so 50k miles to get both of you to London in Club World. You could therefore do this twice.

Make sure your miles do not expire though. There has to be some activity on your account every once in a while (maybe 3 years?). You can buy 1k miles for GBP 30, which will keep all your miles active.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I believe you can also donate the miles to charity.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by jnorman76
I've looked at spending the miles on AA, but every time I look on BA.com, it tells me there's no availability.

Search this forum for issues booking AA awards using BA miles? The BIG bugbear at present is ba.com doesn't seem to show availability for any AA flight that requires a connection. From MKE that's probably just about everywhere. In summary your best bet is to look for sAAver awards on aa.com. When you find something you like you should be able to get them by calling BA - tell them ba.com won't show you the availability and you ought to be able to avoid paying the telephone reservations fee.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by jnorman76
I signed up for a BA credit card promotion, and now I have 107K miles. I earned them in Jan. 2010, and I'm sure they'll run out sometime.

I live in MKE, and can fly out of ORD. I travel some for work, but not internationally. I also have a wife and three small kids at home, so it's not like we're taking a European vacation anytime soon.

That could get you 3 tickets to Hawaii. I've always had good luck finding availability on AA. You may need to look far in advance if you're looking at peak travel periods. You shouldn't have to worry about expiration any time soon as the miles should be set to expire 3 years after last activity.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AT Elite, US Silver, MR Silver, HH Gold, BA Blue
Thanks to everyone who gave me some great advice. I have about 150K miles on AA, so between the two, some nice runs ahead!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.