Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Does anyone happen to know what the Tax increase is WT+ to CW?

Old Jan 19, 11, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)

Does anyone happen to know what the Tax/fee/surcharge increase is WT+ to CW? I priced a multiclass MFU booking on BA.com and then called to book it. The flights are to BOS and are CW to F out and WT+ to CW back and the price I was quoted was different to that on the site. I booked it anyway and was thinking it must be the difference in tax between WT+ and CW on the inbound.

However when I did this last year and priced it online first, the phone booking came out cheaper. So does anyone know the actual tax difference?
Old Jan 19, 11, 7:33 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
15 (from memory!)
Old Jan 19, 11, 7:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Amex Platinum
My recent (within the last two weeks) MFU LHR to DXB charged me 14.80
Old Jan 19, 11, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Originally Posted by louie-m View Post
15 (from memory!)
Okay thanks for that, now very puzzled as the price differs by ~69 so it isn't just that 15. Might have to do some more research, 69 isn't the end of the world but I'd like to know why it is so different.
Old Jan 19, 11, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTG + Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by louie-m View Post
15 (from memory!)
http://www.travelio.net/british-airw...-increase.html Correct. I guess there might be some ex-BOS tax attached to CW but not WT+ too on top. Plus the offline fee, plus the CC surcharge though, did you factor that in?

Is it an ex-EUR ticket too? If so, you'll be charged the EUR fuel surcharge levels not the UK ones which I think are not only higher but in my recent experience the IATA rate was a shocker for conversion to GBP.

(I too didn't object to paying an increase in taxes recently, just wanted to understand how it was made up and learned the above).
Old Jan 19, 11, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-BOAC View Post
http://www.travelio.net/british-airw...-increase.html Correct. I guess there might be some ex-BOS tax attached to CW but not WT+ too on top. Plus the offline fee, plus the CC surcharge though, did you factor that in?

Is it an ex-EUR ticket too? If so, you'll be charged the EUR fuel surcharge levels not the UK ones which I think are not only higher but in my recent experience the IATA rate was a shocker for conversion to GBP.

(I too didn't object to paying an increase in taxes recently, just wanted to understand how it was made up and learned the above).
As it is a multiclass and not bookable online I thought (and it wasn't mentioned last year) the offline fee was waived for that. It's a LHR-BOS so no EUR, don't know about the ex-BOS tax. The CC surcharge I can handle but my I can't do dummy bookings at the mo to check this out using miles as it just says systems not responding when I log in and try to book (one for the New Dilly).
Old Jan 19, 11, 9:11 am

Programs: BAEC, Blue for now.
Originally Posted by Jimmie76 View Post
As it is a multiclass and not bookable online I thought (and it wasn't mentioned last year) the offline fee was waived for that.
You have to ask them to waive it when you call.
I asked when I did an open jaw MFU which was not bookable online, and was told no.... other people have had better luck.
Old Jan 19, 11, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
Does anyone happen to know what the Tax/fee/surcharge increase is WT+ to CW? I priced a multiclass MFU booking on BA.com and then called to book it. The flights are to BOS and are CW to F out and WT+ to CW back and the price I was quoted was different to that on the site. I booked it anyway and was thinking it must be the difference in tax between WT+ and CW on the inbound.

However when I did this last year and priced it online first, the phone booking came out cheaper. So does anyone know the actual tax difference?
Why not make dummy bookings in WT+ and Club. You will soon see the tax / surcharge difference on the quote page. Much more than 15 on many routes!
Old Jan 19, 11, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Interestingly the price that is coming up doing a dummy booking for a multiclass without logging in comes up with 876 (CW) & 303 (WT+) for a total of 1179 but when you go to the Price Quote page it brings up a total of 1,266.63. 1 Adult 924.00 Price and 342.63 Taxes/Fees/Surcharges.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Jan 19, 11 at 10:21 am
Old Jan 19, 11, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gumbieben View Post
You have to ask them to waive it when you call.
I asked when I did an open jaw MFU which was not bookable online, and was told no.... other people have had better luck.
I did mention that it isn't bookable online and that that should negate the fee, even with it left in it still doesn't really explain the (now) two price differences 1179 vs 1,266.63 vs 1291.63 wich I paid.
Old Jan 19, 11, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

UPDATE

Having spent agaes on the phone to BA whilst the guy went off and checked, he discovered the 1179 (876+303) price is not correct and the correct price is 1266 seen on the Price Quote page. He is going to have this sorted out so that nobody else is as confused as me.

The difference between my fare and the 1266 is down to the F MFU on the Outbound and the CW on the Inbound
Old Jan 19, 11, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTG + Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Having spent agaes on the phone to BA whilst the guy went off and checked, he discovered the 1179 (876+303) price is not correct and the correct price is 1266 seen on the Price Quote page
What am I missing here - isn't this how it's worked for years, and doesn't it tell you this mid-way too? It says the figures quoted as you pick each flight are rough guides with an 'estimated' amount of tax, but only on the final quote page (where you reivew your flights and click Yes to the T&Cs) is the actual price (minus potential credit card chisel) shown?
Old Jan 20, 11, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-BOAC View Post
What am I missing here - isn't this how it's worked for years, and doesn't it tell you this mid-way too? It says the figures quoted as you pick each flight are rough guides with an 'estimated' amount of tax, but only on the final quote page (where you reivew your flights and click Yes to the T&Cs) is the actual price (minus potential credit card chisel) shown?
Yeah it is but as the bloke admitted on the phone, the actual fares that were displayed on the Choose Your Flights screen were very wrong - to the point of being misleading. The correct total price on the Price Quote screen was (and still is) 1266*, but the prices on the Choose Your flights screen has now been fixed and is made up of a more realistic 924 + 348 in fares* which comes to 1269.

*including taxes, fees, charges and surcharges.
Old Jan 20, 11, 12:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Brown
Just been on the phone to book an WTP to CW upgrade for tomorrow from BOS to LHR. The website kept giving me an error, the US call centre never answered the phone so I called BAEC in the UK and they did it for 12,500 miles + 24.20.

As bargains go, that's hard to beat.
Old Jan 20, 11, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Camflyer View Post
Just been on the phone to book an WTP to CW upgrade for tomorrow from BOS to LHR. The website kept giving me an error, the US call centre never answered the phone so I called BAEC in the UK and they did it for 12,500 miles + 24.20.

As bargains go, that's hard to beat.
Yeah I get an error quite often when I try and book MFUs, and the bloke who I booked with yesterday was great and I think I got a bargain. Not as good as last year but still a bargain.

Search this Thread