EC denies agreed web fare rules. Why?

Old Jan 17, 11, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, AC Elite, LH FT, LY Silver
Question EC denies agreed web fare rules. Why?

Please help me understanding the following issue:
I booked a ticket online using the Upgrade Inbound option.
The base class is Premium Economy (T)
The upgraded class is Club World (U)
TLV-LHR-JFK (T Class)
JFK-LHR-TLV (U Class)
Prior to confirming the booking, I agreed to the following Fare Rules:

MAXIMUM STAY REQUIREMENTS
* TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO LATER THAN 12 MONTHS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.

CHARGES FOR CHANGES AND CANCELLATIONSNOTE - NO PENALTIES UNLESS OTHERWSIE SPECIFIED. REFUND WITHOUT PENALTY PERMIITED AT ANY TIME UNLIMITED CHANGES WITHOUT PENALTY PERMITTED AT ANY TIME -------------------------------------------------- A CHANGE IS A DATE/ OR FLIGHT OR ROUTING CHANGE IN THE EVENT OF REROUTING THE FARE MUST BE RECALCULATED FROM POINT OF ORIGIN -------------------------------------------------- WHERE THIS FARE IS COMBINED WITH ANOTHER FARE THE PENALTY CONDITIONS OF THE CHANGED FARE COMPONENT WILL APPLY. WHEN MORE THAN ONE FARE COMPONENT IS CHANGED THE HIGHEST PENALTY OF ANY CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS WILL APPLY -------------------------------------------------- // CHANGES BEFORE OUTBOUND DEPARTURE // 1. WHEN THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT IS CHANGED THE ITINERARY MUST BE RE-PRICED USING FARES IN EFFECT ON THE DATE THE TICKET IS REISSUED 2. WHEN THERE ARE NO CHANGES TO THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT BUT OTHER FARE COMPONENTS ARE CHANGED. THE ITINERARY MUST BE REPRICED USING FARES IN IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE OR ON THE DAY OF REISSUE - WHICHEVER IS LOW -------------------------------------------------- // CHANGES AFTER DEPARTURE // THE ITINERARY MUST BE REPRICED USING FARES FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE. -------------------------------------------------- WHEN THE NEW ITINERARY RESULTS IN A HIGHER FARE THE DIFFERENCE WILL BE COLLECTED -------------------------------------------------- WHEN THE NEW ITINERAY RESULTS IN A LOWER FARE A REFUND OF THE RESIDUAL AMOUNT WILL BE MADE

However, when I called my local EC to change my outbound flight , I was told that the fare rules are not what I have agreed to but the following:

Thank you for your e-mail and sorry for late reply. I have checked the below. In order to find the lowest rate available, the on-line system have created a fare that is a combination of two fares. Tel-Aviv London Tel Aviv and London New York London. Every fare has a different rule. The TLV-LON-TLV fare is refundable less USD100 plus service fee of USD45 and changes are permitted for USD50 plus svc fee of USD45.
For LON-NYC-LON ticket is none refundable and changes are permitted for GBP90 plus service fee of USD45.
If you wish to change we charge only one penalty and the most restrictive which means GBP90 plus Service fee. All changes must be made up to 24 hours before the flight and payment needs to be done at the same time.

Can anyone help me understanding why the fare rules I agreed to upon booking are different than the actual ones?

Thanks,
Tom
Old Jan 17, 11, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by c030mql View Post
In order to find the lowest rate available, the on-line system have created a fare that is a combination of two fares.

Can anyone help me understanding why the fare rules I agreed to upon booking are different than the actual ones?
I don't know the answer, but BA has a through T class fare TLV-JFK-TLV which is priced at 1255USD plus taxes and charges. Change fee is 50USD. Fare basis is TLRCIL.

Do you know what is the fare basis of your ticket?

[KVS Availability Tool 6.0.3/Diamond - WSpan: TLV-JFK/BA/TLRCIL/1255 USD]
Code:
[ADVANCE RESERVATION/TICKETING]
TKTG WITHIN 30 DAYS 
AFTER RESERVATIONS OR AT LEAST 30 DAYS 
BEFORE DEPART WHICHEVER IS EARLIER 
RESERVATIONS 30 DAYS BEFORE DEPART 
ALL SEGMENTS MUST BE CONFIRMED 
FURTHER RESTR APPLY SEE TEXT RULE 

[MINIMUM STAY]
RETURN AFTER 3 DAYS AFTER 
DEPARTURE FIRST INTERNATIONAL SECTOR 

[MAXIMUM STAY]
12 MONTHS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM ORIGIN 

[SEASONS]
16AUG-30JUN 
DEPARTURE FIRST INTERNATIONAL SECTOR 

[BLACKOUTS]
NO RESTRICTION 

[ELIGIBILITY]
NO RESTRICTION 

[TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS]
NO RESTRICTION 

[DAY/TIME]
NO RESTRICTION 

[STOPOVERS]
PERMITTED- AT 75.00 USD EACH UNITED KINGDOM 
DEPARTURE FROM ORIGIN 

[SURCHARGES]
ORIG ISRAEL   95.00 EUR FUEL PER DIRECTION 

[FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS]
ANY BA FLIGHT  AND/OR/ ANY AA FLIGHT 

[TRANSFERS]
6 PERMITTED OUTBOUND 3 INBOUND 3 

[TICKET ENDORSEMENT]
ORIGINAL/REISSUED TKT - 
CONDITIONS APPLY MUST APPEAR IN 
ENDORSEMENT BOX ORIGINAL/REISSUED TKT - 
NON ENDORSEABLE-BA ONLY MUST APPEAR IN 
ENDORSEMENT BOX 

[ACCOMPANIED PASSENGERS]
NO RESTRICTION 

[SALES RESTRICTIONS]
FURTHER RESTR APPLY SEE RULE TEXT 
SEE TEXT RULE 

[CHANGES/REFUNDS]
CANCEL-100.00 USD BEFORE DEPART 
CANCEL-NON REF AFTER DEPART 
CHANGE-50.00 USD BEFORE/AFTER DEPART 
FOR ALL CONDITIONS SEE TEXT RULE
Old Jan 17, 11, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
If you booked those conditions, it doesn't matter what BA now say they are. In this case, if BA won't budge, the simplest way to achieve what you want may be to get your credit card company to do a chargeback and just book the new ticket on the new dates.
Old Jan 18, 11, 2:00 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=heartybob;15677175]I don't know the answer, but BA has a through T class fare TLV-JFK-TLV which is priced at 1255USD plus taxes and charges. Change fee is 50USD. Fare basis is TLRCIL.

Do you know what is the fare basis of your ticket?/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I don't know the fare basis.
However, does it make sense that the fare basis changes following an upgrade (using BA miles)?
Old Jan 18, 11, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Welcome to FT!

Can I ask, what were the original fare conditions on your ticket?

The bit I'm wondering about is this:

WHERE THIS FARE IS COMBINED WITH ANOTHER FARE THE PENALTY CONDITIONS OF THE CHANGED FARE COMPONENT WILL APPLY.
Old Jan 18, 11, 4:14 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by c030mql View Post
Unfortunately, I don't know the fare basis.
Plug your PNR and surname in here and you should see the fare basis for all the sectors of your itinerary.
Old Jan 18, 11, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is a pretty universal rule on all airlines that when fare bases are mixed on a single ticket, the most restrictive conditions apply to the whole ticket and this is what presumably happens here. Looking at the fare conditions now will probably only confirm this and will not be particularly enlightening.

The only issue is what was actually displayed when the OP made his booking. If all that was displayed was what the OP states, then the OP has good cause to complain and BA could not oppose fare conditions which are contrary to what was displayed. It may be, however, that the OP only saw part of the rules and missed the bit about combination of fares. The OP may wish to do a dummy booking and look carefully at what was displayed before he pressed the purchase button.
Old Jan 18, 11, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by heartybob View Post
Plug your PNR and surname in here and you should see the fare basis for all the sectors of your itinerary.
Thanks, however checkmytrip.com doesn't say a lot when Reward Tickets or partial reward tickets are queried.
No fare basis is available for any segment.
Old Jan 18, 11, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickB View Post
It is a pretty universal rule on all airlines that when fare bases are mixed on a single ticket, the most restrictive conditions apply to the whole ticket and this is what presumably happens here. Looking at the fare conditions now will probably only confirm this and will not be particularly enlightening.

The only issue is what was actually displayed when the OP made his booking. If all that was displayed was what the OP states, then the OP has good cause to complain and BA could not oppose fare conditions which are contrary to what was displayed. It may be, however, that the OP only saw part of the rules and missed the bit about combination of fares. The OP may wish to do a dummy booking and look carefully at what was displayed before he pressed the purchase button.
Yep. I actually did several dummy bookings before eventually confirming the purchase.
In each and every case the fare rules stated on my initial post were displayed.
Old Jan 18, 11, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickB View Post

That's a good idea. Will contact EC again and confront them with this contradicting data.
Old Jan 20, 11, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up Good news - issue resolved

After contacting EC and communicating the issue, following is the reply I received:
Dear Tom
Sorry for late reply. I have checked it with my supervisor. The mentioned rules below are the correct ones. However it is correct that ba.com does not mention it due to system error. This system fault is under investigation. If you wish to change the dates we will do it free of charge.

I would like to thank all of you for your good advise!

Search this Thread