Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Xmas cancellation - no action on refund by BAEC

Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC SILVER, AEROPLAN back of the bus

I'm getting a bit frustrated trying to get a miles re-de-posite and a refund for tax/charges for a reward flight YYZ-LHR return, in First, that I cancelled because the situation at Heathrow was banjaxed.
I wrote a letter to BAEC in New Jersey on 29th Dec - no reply.
E-mailed them - got a generic rely.
Phoned BAEC NA, spoke to a woman who said she saw a note on my file and would expidite matters to the back office, and the miles re-deposit would happen in a couple of days, the refund in a week.
That was more than a week ago, still no action.
I completely understand that BAEC in the US must be overwhelmed with frustrated reward passengers like me who just wan't their miles and taxes back, but must it really take so long?
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:31 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Yes!

Patience is a virtue!
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by OPebble
Yes!

Patience is a virtue!
I concur in principle but 19 days is ridiculous. What if he wanted to rebook?

However it does seem that BA's IT department has been fubar. It used to be the best with little if any glitches when using their site etc. Now the complaints seem to become more and more.

Must say, I never had a problem dealing with BA CS ever but maybe I am just lucky.

Have you tried calling YouFirst?
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henkybaby
You are right - I DO want to re-book, so I need those Miles back in my account. I will try calling YouFirst - is the number on the BAEC website?
Old Jan 16, 2011, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toothpick
You are right - I DO want to re-book, so I need those Miles back in my account. I will try calling YouFirst - is the number on the BAEC website?
I don't believe it is but a quick search here will find it for you. I don't have the US number. If you want the UK one, PM me.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I don't believe it is but a quick search here will find it for you. I don't have the US number. If you want the UK one, PM me.
YouFirst http://www.britishairways.com/travel...t/public/en_gb
Old Jan 16, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Genius1
And just replace the en_gb with en_us in the URL and should see the US number.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Funny that it does not come up when you search the BA site... At least it didn't for me.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Called YouFirst today. Somebody called Marvin in a very bad mood answered as gruffly as a jail guard - and as soon as I had provided my booking reference number he just hung up!! THAT was the service level offered to First customers???.....Greyhound Bus does a better job of customer service! I re-dialled and got the more civilized Susan, (I know all these call center names are made up - they don't wan't you following them home...) but she seemed pretty confused and said she's call me when she'd sorted my case with her manager. Good "First" style gesture to call me, but six hours later, no call.
I tried YouFirst because it was, after all, a booking in First and I was frustrated having achieved no results from a call to the regular BAEC line 8 days ago where I was promised Miles re-deposit in 48 hours and refund in 7 - 10 business days. Nothing happened.
Going back even further, I wrote a letter to BAEC on 29th December 2010 asking for a refund and miles re-deposit AND asked for an acknowledgement via e-mail. Nothing!
Don't understand why this is taking so long - can anyone shed some light? It's a pretty straighforward case - I cancelled a reward flight in First because of the weather situation at LHR leading up to Christmas and all I want is a Miles re-deposit and a refund of fees & taxes.
I have had this done before with no delay and none of this hassle.
(Thanks to henkybaby and others for contact info to YouFirst.)
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Finally got a miles re-deposit, and a promise of a refund of taxes. The e-mail to YouFirst seems to have done the trick (or was it my subsequent e-mail to my compatriot Mr. Walsh?)
I really do hate complaining to the top of the house, but in North America it's the only way to get anything moving!
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by toothpick
Finally got a miles re-deposit, and a promise of a refund of taxes. The e-mail to YouFirst seems to have done the trick (or was it my subsequent e-mail to my compatriot Mr. Walsh?)
I really do hate complaining to the top of the house, but in North America it's the only way to get anything moving!
I had an outbound flight on the 21. but on the 20. I already could see the flight was canceled (via iPhone app, as the website 99% of the time wasn't working). When I called the first two time You First, they only looked at the booking and said the flight was operating but I told them it shows canceled on the arrival/departure page. They wouldn't listen and insisted on it still operating. Third time I called the person finally agreed it had been canceled, looked at when I could fly next (Dec 24), but no seats on Dec 25 to continue on from LHR. So it would have been after xmas at this point so I said to cancel it all. You First person told me 48h to get miles and voucher redeposited, up to 10 days for credit card charges to be returned. 1 week later still no redeposit. Had to call again, then it showed up 5-10 minutes later.

But still no refund of surcharges and taxes. Around January 4th I finally got some money back on my CC, but to my surprised it was $140 short. The transaction date was 12/21, post date 12/31, even it didn't show until the 4th of January. I called You First again, pointed out that BA had a policy in place during the canceling of all tickets can be refunded, yet they choose to charge me $70 per passenger in fees.

Emailed refunds again, latest message I got from them on Jan 18, was that my request is under investigation. So almost 1 month now. And I got no clue why they have to investigate this, they had a policy in place allowing canceling without penalty.

I >< close to call Chase and ask for charge back.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gshumway
You First person told me 48h to get miles and voucher redeposited, up to 10 days for credit card charges to be returned. 1 week later still no redeposit. Had to call again, then it showed up 5-10 minutes later.

But still no refund of surcharges and taxes. Around January 4th I finally got some money back on my CC, but to my surprised it was $140 short. The transaction date was 12/21, post date 12/31, even it didn't show until the 4th of January. I called You First again, pointed out that BA had a policy in place during the canceling of all tickets can be refunded, yet they choose to charge me $70 per passenger in fees.

I >< close to call Chase and ask for charge back.
You mention a "voucher" - in my experience, vouchers are trouble. They come with many T&Cs. Did you read and understand the limitations of your voucher when you executed it?
Old Jan 20, 2011, 2:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Could be an AMEX 241 or Chase voucher - hence the requirement to have it redeposited.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.