FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Can you buy one-day lounge access? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1167222-can-you-buy-one-day-lounge-access.html)

ShopAround Jan 2, 2011 2:57 pm

Can you buy one-day lounge access?

One month from tomorrow, I'll be taking my first BA flight, thanks to being a winner in the BA Face Of Opportunity contest. I'm flying JFK-LHR on a chartered flight with the other contest winners, then on to CDG on the 6th and back home on the 10th.

My intra-European flights are in Euro Traveller (not really a big deal for an hour flight) and my LHR-JFK flight is in WT+.

Since it's been many years since I flew an airline with which I have no status or lounge access, I paid the fee to pre-book seats but the one thing I was really hoping was that BA sold one-day lounge passes (like DL does). I looked on the BA website and searched this forum but don't see anything about that. Is buying a day pass not an option or am I missing the information about it?

Any information about what to expect is appreciated. (I've spent lots of time reading through the threads here and it seems that WT+ is basically not much more than WT with a little more legroom.)

Thanks!

sunrisegirl Jan 2, 2011 3:04 pm

Firstly congratulations on your win!!

Unfortunately though BA do not sell passes to any of their lounges. I'm not familiar with JFK having not been through there recently. However on your return from T5 there are a great array of dining places where you can while away some time.

Have a great trip!

Phil the Flyer Jan 2, 2011 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl (Post 15567671)

Unfortunately though BA do not sell passes to any of their lounges.

Surely you mean fortunately? ;)

Jimmie76 Jan 2, 2011 6:22 pm

Planefood is actually quite good, and I'm not a GR fan by any means.

ShopAround Jan 2, 2011 8:30 pm

Firstly congratulations on your win!!

Thank you! I'm very much looking forward to flying BA! :)

I'm not familiar with JFK having not been through there recently. However on your return from T5 there are a great array of dining places where you can while away some time.

There's a contest-related event at JFK before boarding, which I believe is in the lounge, so I'll get to see that one. I was thinking about my return trip, when I have around 3.5 hours in between flights at LHR and was hoping to be able to check out the BA lounge there. But I'm sure I can amuse myself in the terminal since lounge access isn't an option.

antichef Jan 2, 2011 10:01 pm

can i suggest checking out ba97.com and see if a fellow FTer is about and will guest you in to a lounge?

Crampedin13A Jan 2, 2011 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer (Post 15568288)

+1. AC's MLL in Canada which are nice lounges especially by NA standards are overcrowded because of their recent policy of selling lounge access. It is a shame that BAA hasn't provide a lounge in T5 that Priority Pass holders and people willing to pay could access though. Might even add to their bottom line.;)

ShopAround Jan 3, 2011 9:29 am

Originally Posted by antichef (Post 15569870)
can i suggest checking out ba97.com and see if a fellow FTer is about and will guest you in to a lounge?

I did that and there is one person departing LHR around the same time I am on the 10th, but I don't know if s/he has lounge access. I will also post on the lounge thread here on FT.

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A (Post 15569910)
It is a shame that BAA hasn't provide a lounge in T5 that Priority Pass holders and people willing to pay could access though. Might even add to their bottom line.;)

I agree - I already paid for seat assignments and would have been happy to pay for a lounge pass if I had the option to do so.

antichef Jan 3, 2011 10:42 am

if you click on their name in ba97.com, their profile will usually show which cards they hold, or the lounge visit calender or their trip will usually show which class they are travelling.

Hope that helps!

SFOSpiff Jan 4, 2011 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer (Post 15568288)

You people who aren't stuck in the cesspool of domestic US flying are so spoiled. :p

My top tier status with United gets me nothing re: their "clubs". Membership is upwards of $500 per year. I could buy a full fare first class ticket and still nada. And when you fly international and finally get in with gold status, the food is barely more than cheese and crackers.

And yet a BA Silver member gets in every for every flight? Paradise! Warm croissants! Thai curry chicken!

Oh, wait, I see your point. DO NOT SELL PASSES. :D

Raffles Jan 4, 2011 1:09 am

Can't you upgrade your Paris flights with cash? Or is this option greyed out in MMB?

Lobengula Jan 4, 2011 2:36 am

Originally Posted by ShopAround (Post 15572306)
I did that and there is one person departing LHR around the same time I am on the 10th, but I don't know if s/he has lounge access. I will also post on the lounge thread here on FT.

I can only see two persons registered on BA97 LHR the 10th, both are Gold card holders and active here. Drop a pm to the one you have in mind. No guarantee though as they may already guest spouse/colleague/friend.

Camflyer Jan 4, 2011 4:35 am

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A (Post 15569910)
+1. AC's MLL in Canada which are nice lounges especially by NA standards are overcrowded because of their recent policy of selling lounge access. It is a shame that BAA hasn't provide a lounge in T5 that Priority Pass holders and people willing to pay could access though. Might even add to their bottom line.;)

Yes, it's odd. I've never quite understood why BAA don't have a non-BA, e.g. ServisAir, lounge in T5 for non-status passengers. I'm sure sufficient people would be willing to pay £20/head to make it viable.

BahrainLad Jan 4, 2011 4:57 am

T5 is probably the best terminal at Heathrow if you don't have lounge access - Plane Food and several other bars (e.g. the V Bar underneath the South Lounge complex), loads of shops, lots of seating and excellent views of the airport goings-on.

Yahillwe Jan 4, 2011 5:13 am

I personally love sitting at T5 and watching the world go by and people go to their planes..

But then I a people watcher person.:D