Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA or Qantas First

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by studio76
Having done both, QF F is superior in both directions, however, if you are tempted to split it up (which I would not recommend), do the QF F on the return sector to London.

QF F service on the ground in SYD is better than anything BA offers. A concierge calls you a day in advance to book your preflight spa treatment, check you in, etc. On arrival at SYD, a bellboy comes to collect your luggage from the curb. It really is rather easy.

QF also offers a more interesting menu on the sectors ex SYD or MEL which would not be offered on the inbound sector.
Having just come back from syd, i can confidently say that QF FIRST on A380 was FAR FAR superior to BA FIRST (although to be fair i have only done old first, not the newer BA variant)
The food, ground service (bell boy, pre-booked spa and true fast track thru security and priority boarding) plus the seat/IFE were much much better.

The only thing i would say BA may come close on is their actual in-flight service (very much crew dependent) and the concorde room i think i preferred over the QF first lounge in syd.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 10:16 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by GavT_london
...the concorde room i think i preferred over the QF first lounge in syd.
Note that BA flights to Oz go from T3 so you do not get access to the Concorde Room
Old Jan 3, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
An even better OW option would be CX F to HKG, and then QF F through to MEL or SYD (CX does not offer F from HKG to Oz).
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by johnaalex
Note that BA flights to Oz go from T3 so you do not get access to the Concorde Room
indeed - which is even less of a reason to go BA to Oz as the T3 lounge is small and average.

(apologies for any confusion - i was comparing my QF experience 2 days ago with my most recent BA first experience which was to US, which was T5)
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by GavT_london
indeed - which is even less of a reason to go BA to Oz as the T3 lounge is small and average.

(apologies for any confusion - i was comparing my QF experience 2 days ago with my most recent BA first experience which was to US, which was T5)
Granted it is no CR but I would not say it is small, it covers more footage than the CR room and at the time of the Australia departure is almost all it is used for. QF use the lounge too, so from that perspective it is exactly the same product, BA or QF. As a OW First customer you can of course also visit the CX and AA first lounges to compare.

The rate of embodiment of the new BA First cabin means that it will be appearing on the joint service routes in the near future.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:53 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by adrianjc32
Granted it is no CR but I would not say it is small, it covers more footage than the CR room and at the time of the Australia departure is almost all it is used for. QF use the lounge too, so from that perspective it is exactly the same product, BA or QF. As a OW First customer you can of course also visit the CX and AA first lounges to compare.

The rate of embodiment of the new BA First cabin means that it will be appearing on the joint service routes in the near future.

Is the T3 First lounge not a QF lounge that BA use?

I know that QF employs First Hosts at T3 to ease the way for their First Class passengers. Does anyone know where the First Hosts are based from?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

T3 F lounge is a Galleries lounge, so very much a BA lounge that QF use. It is a very nice lounge too, I am a fan. Most certainly the right shape.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:58 am

Programs: Top Tier in AC, BA, AF, and LY.
Go with the QF option.
Was on it just yesterday, great product and service was impeccable.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by MOR
Is the T3 First lounge not a QF lounge that BA use?

I know that QF employs First Hosts at T3 to ease the way for their First Class passengers. Does anyone know where the First Hosts are based from?
The lounge, as Swanhunter points out is a BA owned and run lounge. QF have First Hosts, based in their offices landside and who work at checkin and will also be present in the First lounge prior to boarding.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
As it happens, my wife and I are doing our first ever F trip , from T3 next month...courtesy of the current BA sale , which offered F outbound for a modest premium over J. Thrilled is an understatement! Outbound we chose QF ...to BKK then 2 days later on to SYD. Any tips from experienced travellers out of T3 would be appreciated !
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Hey all

thanks for the advice. I have gone and booked Qantas in both directions.

I've flown Cathay and they are excellent in First and looking at the cabin on the A380 should be very similar although no Caviar sadly...

I called You First in Manchester and asked them to book me seat 3A which seems to be the best seat to go for a solo traveller.

Whats this about Porter service etc at T3? Is this possible to use even though I have booked using a BA codeshare operated by qantas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.