Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cape Town Terraces Lounge [new lounge open?]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Does anyone know if the new Terraces lounge in CPT is open yet?
Old Dec 22, 2010, 4:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Originally Posted by kpriestnal
Does anyone know if the new Terraces lounge in CPT is open yet?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "new" as I believe there was lots of rebuilding work at CPT over the past year, partly for the World Cup. However there definitely was a decent standard of lounge at CPT in October and it didn't look too shabby, as Terraces go.

That's in the International terminal. The Domestic side has the SLOW lounge run for BA / Comair passengers and is an exceptionally pleasant place to spend a bit of time.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 4:30 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Was just in there a few days ago and while i wouldnt say it was 'new' it certainly was ok, definately not the worst lounge ive ever been to. Nothing in the way of real food, just some crisps and nuts, and free booze, soft drinks etc
Old Dec 22, 2010, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Any new BA-branded lounge will be the Galleries concept...
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
The old Terraces lounge has, IIRC, a largish fairly empty reception area, beyond which is basically a smallish single-room lounge with no windows and very basic lounge food. It's hard to see why you would want to spend time there rather than the main departure area, apart from the free booze.

I think the question is about whether something better is now available. If anyone has photos of the current lounge, I could answer the OP's question as to whether it qualifies as "new".

I think someone on here once said there is a much nicer lounge somewhere, maybe available to those with a PP or something like that. Unfortunately I didn't know that prior to my last CPT visit, which was two years ago.

Last edited by LeisureFirst; Dec 22, 2010 at 12:24 pm
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA, UA
As far as I've heard, nothing has changed - the nicer lounge is at the other end of the concourse, the general lounge that SAA etc use. But it is also a PP lounge.

Was quite disappointed with the Terraces, especially in terms of the breakfast offering. Poorly stocked even in terms of booze.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:36 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Originally Posted by chris18london
As far as I've heard, nothing has changed - the nicer lounge is at the other end of the concourse, the general lounge that SAA etc use. But it is also a PP lounge.

Was quite disappointed with the Terraces, especially in terms of the breakfast offering. Poorly stocked even in terms of booze.
And the Premier Lounge is also a Diners Club lounge ^ I have some photos somewhere, I will see if I can find them.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:36 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Premier Club Lounge - CPT

Here ya go

These pictures are almost two years old so things can have changed at CPT Intl terminal, thinking of the recent rebuilds due to the World Cup. This lounge is located one level up from the shopping level. Just pass BA lounge and head for the lift at the end of the terminal.

Pictures taken 07.20am before my day flight to LHR.

A nice lounge with good views:

Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
I agree with the comments above. The BA lounge is a pokey lounge and it is high time BA customers were offered something better.

Out of choice, I use the Premier lounge whether in F or J. It's not great, but has wider snack selection and windows. (I hate windowless lounges, such as this one and the former ZRH and ARN lounges.)
Old Dec 24, 2010, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Roger
I agree with the comments above. The BA lounge is a pokey lounge and it is high time BA customers were offered something better.

Out of choice, I use the Premier lounge whether in F or J. It's not great, but has wider snack selection and windows. (I hate windowless lounges, such as this one and the former ZRH and ARN lounges.)
Thanks for the comments. Its just that I remembered a pokey little lounge upstairs some where.

I was under the impression a new lounge was under construction but possibly mistaken. Hope not!
Old Dec 24, 2010, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Its just that I remembered a pokey little lounge upstairs some where.
Well, it's not huge and I wouldn't want to overemphasize its qualities, which are average IMO. I also thought the redevelopment of CPT would have brought better lounges, but it seems not yet.

Caveat: I've not been to CPT since before the WC, I'm judging from reports. I'll find out for sure next month. The SLOW lounges are a hard act to follow.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Thanks for the comments. Its just that I remembered a pokey little lounge upstairs some where.

I was under the impression a new lounge was under construction but possibly mistaken. Hope not!
I think you are confusing this with BA domestic lounge, which was closed this time last year for transformation into SLOW lounge.

BA international lounge was very much as described by LeisureFirst.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 1:40 am

Programs: NZ *Gold
Just a quick update . The BA lounge in the international departures is still in the same place - a windowless, small space with minimal food and drink offerings. It is definitely "Terraces" and not "Galleries". This was quickly bypassed.

I used the Premier Lounge as described above with my PP card. It is now badged Bidvest Premier Lounge and sits atop the SAA lounge (which is completely seperate). The decor looks identical to the photos already posted. Very pleasant lounge guardian on the desk

Reasonable space and some hot food offerings as well as sandwiches, salads, ect. Hot food items were more snack type and calorific - i.e. something which was a cross between a pasty and a samosa and something else I couldn't readily identify. Drinks well stocked with a good selection of wines including a sparkling wine. There were several large TVs screening an English footy match which was a focal point for many in the lounge - might have been Man U - or was it City? (you can tell how interested I am in footy - now if it had been rugby or cricket...... ). There were quieter areas away from the TV's too - probably about 5 or 6 separate zones in all.

We only had 50 minutes there and that was OK, was good to be able to see outside until it went dark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.