FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   OT: Avis Preferred (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1159638-ot-avis-preferred.html)

Palmer Dec 13, 2010 5:18 pm

OT: Avis Preferred

Does anyone have any experience of claiming the £20 under the Avis Preferred 3 minute promise?

The Avis website states:

* Pre-prepared paperwork
* Priority Avis Preferred counters
* No signature required, just show your driving licence
* Cars parked in the most convenient spaces
* Our 3 Minute Promise - get your keys in under 3 minutes or we’ll give you £20
I rocked up at NCL the other week, having booked a car through avisba.com. I'd entered both my BAEC and Avis Preferred numbers on the booking. I also have my credit card and driving licence details stored on my Avis Preferred account.

At the counter they had trouble locating my booking. In addition, they wanted to see a credit card and another form of ID (other than my driving licence). Then there was some paperwork to sign etc. before I finally managed to get my hands on the keys.

I don't mind queuing or waiting while my booking is processed, and I understand that Avis are not perfect, but I was a bit miffed at having to root around and dig everything out given that I remembered this:

# No need to repeat your details at the rental station
I asked the reason why I'd had to show everything when all my details were already on record and the CS agent said that 'sometimes the computers don't talk to one and another'. Next time, however, I aim to follow their own advice:

How the Avis Preferred 3 minute promise works.

* Get ticket from machine or start stopwatch and go to counter
* Get keys and rental agreement in under 3 minutes
* Or get £20 if you don't

That’s all there is to it, it's that simple!
Except, I don't think they'd appreciate you standing there with a stopwatch...

Palmer

Zhivago Dec 13, 2010 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Palmer (Post 15442848)

Except, I don't think they'd appreciate you standing there with a stopwatch...

Palmer

Why not? At Heathrow they actually provide the stopwatches! There's a tray of them for you waiting as you arrive at the Preferred desk.

I've never had to claim myself, but was standing next to a chap a few weeks ago who said he had claimed about 15 vouchers and couldn't get round to using them (I think they are high street vouchers with a minimum spend requirement).

Catch23 Dec 13, 2010 6:40 pm

If so, that's pretty misleading :

* Or get £20 if you don't

implies to me that you get £20 proper, or at least a £20 voucher from Avis (no restrictions).

billymill Dec 14, 2010 6:30 am

I've had the vouchers a couple of times, they were John Lewis vouchers and came by post a few days later.

I didn't use the stopwatch thing, as it was so obvious when the car was late. If the rental is done quickly, I wouldn't ask, whether it was 3 or 4 mins - but in these cases, they didn't have the car ready and so there was no discussion about the voucher.

I've been happy renting with them and continue to do so for all my personal car hire.

Swanhunter Dec 14, 2010 8:18 am

As usual we will give this a short run here before moving over to the Avis Forum.

Swanhunter
Moderator, BAEC

clubman Dec 14, 2010 8:33 am

Does anyone have any experience of claiming the £20 under the Avis Preferred 3 minute promise?

There is indeed a dedicated Avis forum which would make more sense to post this in, but you may actually have better luck trying here:

www.wetryharder.co.uk

Hannibal Lecter Dec 14, 2010 10:50 am

r

yes twice, got a €30 (not a £20) voucher sent to me from Prague the first time and from Bratislava the 2nd time, when I rented a car the next time and presented the voucher they actually took £30 off :)

schmidlin88 Nov 1, 2011 6:20 pm

When do the three minutes start? As soon as you get into the queue or at the actual desk?

Bloomsbury Nov 1, 2011 8:53 pm

I believe you can request BA miles instead of a voucher. Off the top of my head it's 2000 miles and it requires you to email requesting the miles instead of the voucher.

Hannibal Lecter Nov 2, 2011 9:39 am

Originally Posted by schmidlin88 (Post 17374697)
When do the three minutes start? As soon as you get into the queue or at the actual desk?

as soon as you get your hands on one of the stopwatches they provide

sunrisegirl Nov 2, 2011 1:27 pm

Well I waited well over 3 minutes for my car overseas recently.

BUT, as they gave me a special rate saving me over £100 then I think it'd be mean to claim £20 for the car not being ready!

Washington DC Nov 3, 2011 6:25 am

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl (Post 17379366)
BUT, as they gave me a special rate saving me over £100 then I think it'd be mean to claim £20 for the car not being ready!

If you've got too much money, claim it and give it to charity.

It's an advertised guarantee, and they've let you down - they want to make it up to you!

redsox1918 Nov 3, 2011 8:52 am

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl (Post 17379366)
Well I waited well over 3 minutes for my car overseas recently.

So in the same way you book a ticket with BA in the sale or hotline and as it is £200.00 cheaper you dont bother to claim if the flight runs 9 hours late or they loose your luggage?

Rules are rules and if you returned the car back 60 minutes late they would charge you so go ahead and claim.

Oddest comment I have seen in ages!!!