Advice Appreciated

Old Dec 9, 10, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec
Advice Appreciated

Hi everyone,

I wantyed some basic advice please. I am coming to the end of my 1sr of having the BA platinum Amex card and have triggered the 2-1 companion voucher and have approximately 45K BA Miles. I was wondering what the best way would be to use the voucher and spend the points. Ideally I woul d like to take my wife on a beach holiday early in 2011. We like in Birmingham.

Is it worth cancelling the card and not paying the anual fee of 150 given that we generated 45K points during the year?

Many thanks for your help.
Old Dec 9, 10, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
IIRC if you cancel the card you lose the 2-4-1.

You may like Birmingham - but I think you'll be limited for beach holidays Instead - buy/acquire some miles and...
1) 80,000 Miles will get you and your other half to Egypt in Club
2) 100,000 Miles will get you and your other half to Egypt in Club

OR
1) 40,000 miles will take you both in Business to Cyprus, Greece, Israel, Morocco, Tunisia, Turkey..(plus others)

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_eg
Old Dec 9, 10, 10:50 am

Programs: BA Gold,HHilton Diamond VIP,Intercontinental Ambass,Amex
Firstly I wouldn't give up your BA Amex card yes there is a annual fee but the benefits out way the fee.

We use our companion upgrades for First class if we are flying a long way, say LA as we have squillions of air miles.

But more realistic is to buy the cheapest WT+ ticket that you can upgrade to with air miles (25k required) and that gets you in business then insure that you can use your companion ticket at the same time and bingo lingo return in business for 2 for 25 k of miles and the price of a WT+ ticket.

There is to be a big BA sale in January so that could be a good time to buy. hubby always does our bookings over the phone and get 100% clarity that they understand my requirement before parting with our money.

Enjoy your trip
Old Dec 9, 10, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Gold,HHilton Diamond VIP,Intercontinental Ambass,Amex
........forgot to say.

Make sure you buy your ticket using your Ba Amex to get even more points. you'll get air miles on your journey too!
Old Dec 9, 10, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Blue, Hilton Gold
IIRC you need to have the BA Amex card to pay the taxes for the 241 (and you definitely need to pay using some form of Amex card) therefore cancellation prior to booking the flight may not be an option.

Also, 45,000 miles have a decent monetary value. You could fly Club Europe (from London, so you'd need to get down there from Birmingham) to the south of Spain (Malaga) - it won't be boiling hot but hotter than the UK!
Old Dec 10, 10, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LondonAndy View Post
IIRC you need to have the BA Amex card to pay the taxes for the 241 (and you definitely need to pay using some form of Amex card) therefore cancellation prior to booking the flight may not be an option.
I don't know if the Amex 241 has the same rules as the Chase 241, but the latter requires you be eligible (meaning an active cardholder in good standing) while you travel on the 241.
Old Dec 10, 10, 9:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH Senator; HHGold; Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by babunny View Post
Firstly I wouldn't give up your BA Amex card yes there is a annual fee but the benefits out way the fee.

We use our companion upgrades for First class if we are flying a long way, say LA as we have squillions of air miles.

But more realistic is to buy the cheapest WT+ ticket that you can upgrade to with air miles (25k required) and that gets you in business then insure that you can use your companion ticket at the same time and bingo lingo return in business for 2 for 25 k of miles and the price of a WT+ ticket.

There is to be a big BA sale in January so that could be a good time to buy. hubby always does our bookings over the phone and get 100% clarity that they understand my requirement before parting with our money.

Enjoy your trip

Not sure this is right. You can't mfu with a 241, it's either or, surely?

The question is how did you earn the 45k miles? Just through card spend? Or with a bit of flying too? The best deal by far is to get 100k miles then the 2 of you can get to 1/2 the world in flat bed comfort (ie business class). But if it's going to take you years then a mid-haul club Europe might be best - cut and run and close the card as soon as you've booked. But be aware, the taxes make anything less than long haul club poor value
Old Dec 11, 10, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
If you can manage it, your best would be squeeze up to 80,000 miles and get Club World tickets to Dubai or somewhere else in the Middle East. Decent availability, a long enough flight to experience Club World, and some excellent beach hotels to choose from.
Old Dec 11, 10, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
If you can manage it, your best would be squeeze up to 80,000 miles and get Club World tickets to Dubai or somewhere else in the Middle East. Decent availability, a long enough flight to experience Club World, and some excellent beach hotels to choose from.
But you will spend a fortune on the hotels. Anything good will be GBP 200 a night absolute minimum unless you go during Ramadan. Better use that money to buy some additional miles this year and next to get to Asia...
Old Dec 11, 10, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver
In addition to the other suggestions, it's worth reviewing you're earning strategy, i.e. are you getting miles from hotel stays, Tesco, BA shopping, etc.
241's are now valid for two years and also at your current earning rate you'll (just about!) have enough for an F trip to the US every three years.

All points to consider before you blow the miles on something less optimal ....

Search this Thread