Am I totally screwed?!

Old Dec 5, 10, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Am I totally screwed?!

I am sure that this question has been asked before, but I can't find it using search -sorry.

I had a few cancellations last week due to the weather and am trying to submit a refund request. One problem I have though is that I no longer bank with the card issuer (Barclays) -I've recently moved to Germany and have therefore closed my English bank and credit accounts (except the BA Amex and I'm still a UK registered EC member). The problem is that it says that the card number MUST be the same as the one used to make the reservation.

I tried calling BA, but unfortunately the agent said that her hands were tied. She has advised me to call back on Monday and given me a London DDI number for BA refunds department. She said that she would like to help me, but the way their system in the contact centre is set up means that she can't overwrite the card number -it self-populates and then the electronic refund request gets sent to the back office team in refunds for manual processing.

So what can I do? Is there any way BA can process this refund for me to a different card?

Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 5, 10, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCRC, TK*G, FB G, HHH D, SPG P.
I know with credit cards, that if your number changes or if the account is cancelled, then a refund can still be processed and a bank transfer/cheque issued.

In your situation, I'd start by calling Barclays, rather than BA. It might be possible for BA to refund to a Barclays general account, and then they issue you a cheque...
Old Dec 5, 10, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir? View Post
I know with credit cards, that if your number changes or if the account is cancelled, then a refund can still be processed and a bank transfer/cheque issued.

In your situation, I'd start by calling Barclays, rather than BA. It might be possible for BA to refund to a Barclays general account, and then they issue you a cheque...

That makes sense, thank you very much. I have a feeling that refunds are going to tell me that fraud/money laundering policies prevent them from refunding to a different card number.
Old Dec 5, 10, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Maybe they can convert the outstanding balance into miles and deposit them in your BAEC account?
Old Dec 5, 10, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henkybaby View Post
Maybe they can convert the outstanding balance into miles and deposit them in your BAEC account?
Haha not likely, it's nearly 3,000 and it's a business expense so I need to account for it ASAP. Having said that, if they give me the option of issuing me a voucher of some sort, I'd accept that. Ringing barclays, asking them to issue a cheque etc is a good last resort -at least there IS a solution -but I have a phobia of speaking with banks:

"Can you please confirm to me the fourth and tenth letter in the first name of your wife's best friend's mother-in law."
"I can certainly help you with that today...."
"Now, Mr Morgan, whilst you are on the line, I see that you do not currently have a Barclays Personal Loan. Did you know that you have been pre-approved.....added peace of mind...."
Old Dec 5, 10, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Exec Club, EK Skywards, Hilton Hhonors. No Mucci, but have a far more useful Gucci (wallet).
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN View Post
..to the back office team in refunds for manual processing.

So what can I do? Is there any way BA can process this refund for me to a different card?

Thanks for your help.

As far as my take is concerned, BA should be able to refund you the money by check: I would ask a supervisor at the call center to send a check, explaining the circumstances. Talking to an agent will not do: they will simply read back to you the usual procedure: 'it must be returned to the same way as the booking was made.' However that is BA rules, not the law, and all their rules are meant to favour them, not you.

Your money is be refunded to you specifically, not other person and that is what all the laws are all about. That can be done by any number of ways including refund to credit card or sending a check.
Old Dec 5, 10, 3:26 pm

I wish you luck on this one...

I'm sure it's resolvable in the end, but my experience earlier this year with a simple change in a card number (the card had been stolen - together with a wallet, a computer, and a bunch of other things during a break-in ) was that BA simply would say they'd submit the refund to the card issuer, but after months it still didn't go through. Finally I took it up with the card issuer as a disputed charge, and it was credited to the account.

Since you've actually closed your account, not just changed numbers, it's bound to be even a bit more complicated, but I don't know if there's a similar way to handle it. If Barclays is cooperative with you, perhaps they can seek a refund from BA in the same way they would under a disputed charge, and then issue a check to you rather than crediting your account as they normally would.
Old Dec 5, 10, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA BLUE, HH, AC/UA
Generally speaking, even if a credit card account is "closed" refunds can be processed to them, and the card issuer then sends you a cheque for the credit balance. Not a difficult process.
Old Dec 5, 10, 3:50 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WhitePlains View Post
As far as my take is concerned, BA should be able to refund you the money by check: I would ask a supervisor at the call center to send a check, explaining the circumstances.
+1; I have received BA refund cheques in the past. Good luck!
Old Dec 5, 10, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN View Post
I had a few cancellations last week due to the weather and am trying to submit a refund request ... The problem is that it says that the card number MUST be the same as the one used to make the reservation. I tried calling BA, but unfortunately the agent said that her hands were tied.
I guess the reason BA insist on refunding to the original card is because the card issuer will then re-credit BA with the commission they charged BA for processing the payment.
Old Dec 5, 10, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
There are all sorts of reasons why it's easier, cheaper and neater for BA to refund to your card only, and that's why it's their policy

Of course they can write a cheque (or even, heaven help us, pay you via BACS). It's a case of won't, rather than can't.
Old Dec 5, 10, 4:24 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
This is a common problem and thousands of PAX realise this every year.

When paying for travel with a credit card, make sure the credit card is valid until the trip is finished and you're back at home.

Otherwise you can get some nasty surprises where travel insurance isn't valid and problems with refunds.
Old Dec 5, 10, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the advice. I think I'm going to kick up a fuss if the refunds team won't play ball. As others have pointed out, they owe me the money and I don't see why I should have to chase up Barclays...although it's good to know the option is there, even as a last resort.
Old Dec 5, 10, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCRC, TK*G, FB G, HHH D, SPG P.
Here is the Refunds section from BA's conditions of carriage. I have bolded the key sections that are of interest in this instance:

* 10. Refunds of fares, surcharges, taxes, fees and charges

10a) General

10a1) We will refund the fare and any surcharge for your ticket, or any unused part of it and any taxes, fees and charges, as set out in our fare rules and tariffs.

10a2) Unless we say otherwise, we will only make a refund to the person who paid for the ticket.

10a3) You must, if you want a refund, prove to us that you are the person who paid for the ticket.

10a4) Unless you are applying for a refund on a lost ticket, we will only make the refund if you first give us the ticket and all unused flight coupons.
10b) Involuntary fare refunds

10b1) We will pay fare refunds as set out below if we:

* cancel a flight
* make a significant change to a flight time which is not acceptable to you
* delay a flight by five hours or more
* fail to stop at your place of destination or stopover
* cause you to miss a connecting flight on which you held a confirmed reservation or
* refuse to carry you because a banning notice is in force against you.

10b2) If you have not used any part of the ticket, the refund will be equal to the fare and any surcharge and any taxes, fees and charges you have paid.

10b3) If you have used part of the ticket, the refund will be equal to at least the difference between the fare and any surcharge, taxes, fees and charges you have paid and the correct fare, surcharge, taxes, fees and charges for travel between the points for which you have used your ticket.
10c) Voluntary fare refunds

10c1) If you are entitled to a refund of the fare for your ticket for reasons other than those set out in clause 10b, the refund will be as follows.

10c2) If you have not used any part of the ticket, the refund will be equal to the fare and any surcharge and any taxes, fees and charges you have paid, less any cancellation and reasonable service charge.

10c3) If you have used part of the ticket, the refund will be equal to the difference between the fare and any surcharge, taxes, fees and charges you have paid and the correct fare, surcharge, taxes, fees and charges for travel between the points for which you have used the ticket, less any cancellation and reasonable service charge.
10d) Refund on a lost ticket

10d1) If you lose your ticket or part of it, we will, if you give us satisfactory proof of the loss and pay a reasonable administration fee, give you a refund as soon as possible after the validity period of the ticket expires. we will only do this if:

* the lost ticket, or part of it, has not been used, previously refunded or replaced (unless the use, refund or replacement by or to someone else resulted from our own negligence) and
* the person to whom the refund is made agrees to repay us the amount we refund if we later discover fraud.

This will not apply if any fraud or use by someone else resulted from our negligence.

10d2) If we or our authorised agents lose the ticket or part of it, we will be responsible for any loss.
10e) Our right to refuse a fare refund

10e1) We may decide to refuse to give you a refund if you apply for it after the end of the ticket validity period.

10e2) We may decide to refuse to give you a refund if, when you arrived in a country, you presented your ticket to us or to government officials as evidence of your intention to leave that country, unless you can prove to us that:

* you have permission to stay in the country or
* you will be leaving the country on another airline or on another form of transport.

10f) Currency

We will pay you a refund in the same way and in the same currency that you used to pay for the ticket, unless we agree otherwise.
For example, if you paid in US dollars by credit card, we will make a refund in US dollars to your credit card account.
10g) Voluntary fare refunds are made only by the carrier who issued the ticket

We will only give you a voluntary fare refund if we or our authorised agents issued the ticket and we or they have authorised the refund.
So, if you can prove to BA you are the same person that booked the ticket, they can refund in a different method "if they agree to do so".
Old Dec 5, 10, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for that. I will assure them that I am definitely me.

Search this Thread