Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why the online reservation needs a "verified by visa" code?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2010, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

I am using my virtual number from citi visa, I just got so head-aching with this, because I never know my "verified by visa" code.

Do you know whether the online system will require a similar code from mastercard?

Or should I call them to book the tickets, if there is no phone-reservation fee?

Thanks
Old Dec 3, 2010, 8:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by apollo_liumin
I am using my virtual number from citi visa, I just got so head-aching with this, because I never know my "verified by visa" code.

Do you know whether the online system will require a similar code from mastercard?

Or should I call them to book the tickets, if there is no phone-reservation fee?

Thanks
It is your bank which requires it, not BA. And the code could be your login for the banks site (my card from Chase uses the same verification system and it is the password for the login into chase.com).
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:57 pm

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
"Why the online reservation needs a "verified by visa" code? "

At a guess I would say it it to try and reduce fraud

Yep my ban requires it for both Visa and MC transactions even on BA.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CT-UK
"Why the online reservation needs a "verified by visa" code? "

At a guess I would say it it to try and reduce fraud

Yep my ban requires it for both Visa and MC transactions even on BA.
So what should I do, my friend?
Old Dec 4, 2010, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I thought when it asks you for the code and you haven't got one you just follow the link to register for one....or am I thinking of something else?
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by apollo_liumin
So what should I do, my friend?
There should be an option to click if you've forgotten your code. Basically, it'll ask you some security questions such as your date of birth, full card details etc and then ask you to pick a new password. It will then take you back to the transaction to process it.

If you call BA, they will charge you the offline service charge, so do try to exhaust this option first. Hope it helps.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I thought when it asks you for the code and you haven't got one you just follow the link to register for one....or am I thinking of something else?
Here is the website to register the visa card:
https://usa.visa.com/personal/security/vbv/index.jsp

Yes, I have checked this website, but everytime I input my visa number, it goes wrong..as

You cannot access this page.

This may be due to one of two reasons:

1. The FI you are trying to access is deactivated

2. The access to the FI is restricted for specific IP addresses, and your address is not one of them.

I am using citi visa
Old Dec 4, 2010, 5:22 pm

When you get the verified by visa page there should be an option like "forgot my password" which then lets you register anew.

There should also be an opt-out because you can't be required to sign up for this. On my bank's form it's actually messed up and the only way to opt out is to enter all the information, then when it asks for your new password click "cancel". All my transactions have gone through fine so far and I've managed to keep this card off VbV.

VbV is an *awful* system. It breaks just about every online security rule, requiring you to enter personal information into a frame from an unverified source. It's positively the worst implemented security system I've seen in my career. I find it hard to believe it got past even a preliminary design review.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by zkzkz
When you get the verified by visa page there should be an option like "forgot my password" which then lets you register anew.

There should also be an opt-out because you can't be required to sign up for this. On my bank's form it's actually messed up and the only way to opt out is to enter all the information, then when it asks for your new password click "cancel". All my transactions have gone through fine so far and I've managed to keep this card off VbV.

VbV is an *awful* system. It breaks just about every online security rule, requiring you to enter personal information into a frame from an unverified source. It's positively the worst implemented security system I've seen in my career. I find it hard to believe it got past even a preliminary design review.
I don't find it that perverse a system. It does provide a reverse password facility which is very unlikely to be able to be spoofed when the verified by visa page comes up

Dave
Old Dec 5, 2010, 3:03 am
MHG

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't find it that perverse a system. It does provide a reverse password facility which is very unlikely to be able to be spoofed when the verified by visa page comes up

Dave
Absolutely correct !

Every time I make a transaction with a dealer that uses VbV i get a txt message on my cell phone with a code to be entered into the pop-up from the payment page.
It works perfect - easy - straight forward.
Never have any trouble with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.