OT: Back The Bid(s)

Old Nov 30, 10, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, LQ Elite
OT: Back The Bid(s)

Just wondering if anyone else is excited/nervous about Thursday’s desiscion. Being born in the Manchester area, and raised in America I'm super excited. I don't know if anyone cares/likes football (soccer ...god I hate saying that) but being most of you are from the UK or even US I thought I'd ask. I'd love for England to get it in 2018 and US in 2022 cause with that on top of the 2012 events that's a lot of easy and fun tier points! So, as I said will anyone else be looking forward to it as me?
Old Nov 30, 10, 1:15 pm

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
I went to the WC in France and in South Africa (not purposely, just happened to be there)

I can honestly say that the football world cup is one of the most over-hyped and over-priced sporting events on the planet. To place the cherry on the icing of the cake, England have been crp at the World Cup since Mexico 86, and even then we weren't all that great either.

The Olympics has turned into a complete farce for amongst other reasons, dropping major olympian sporting events for new and exciting olympic sports such as swinging a stick at a ball then being driven in a buggy across a lawn to repeat the same exercise (yes, Golf) and woefully boring "sports" such as pistol shooting. Think these are odd? Take a look at this list of "olympic" sports which have all featured:

1. Tug of war
2. Motor boating
3. Cricket
4. Club swinging
5. Solo synchronised swimming
6. Tumbling
7. Rope climb
8. Live pigeon shooting
9. Pistol duelling
10. Long jump for horses
Old Nov 30, 10, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA bronze
The announcement is being broadcast live at Waterside, due to BA's involvement with the bid. We have quite a large theatre where WW gives briefings etc...so being shown on the big screen there.

I think there are two hopes of England winning the vote to host the WC..........

Bob Hope and no hope...

FIFA politics will kick in.

Old Nov 30, 10, 1:24 pm
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
I sincerely hope that the foul football World Cup does not come to UK. I deplore the glorification of athletes (I will not use the word 'sportsmen') of limited ability, generally contemptible lifestyles and no concept of the word 'team". Let them stay away from the green and pleasant land. I hoped that our prime minister would have been more discerning than to associated himself with this tawdry, corrupt circus. Go forth and play elsewhere, preferably in a very inconvenient time zone.
Old Nov 30, 10, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by globalste View Post
I can honestly say that the football world cup is one of the most over-hyped and over-priced sporting events on the planet.

The Olympics has turned into a complete farce for amongst other reasons,
Yes indeed...both events seem to be getting worse as the years go by. The last World Cup was especially poor in quality.
Old Nov 30, 10, 1:38 pm

Programs: BAEC & others
Let's hope the BBC's Panorama programme has hit it on the head, but I fear that it might not have done. The two Daves (Cameron and Beckham) are in Zurich along with Prince William so they obviously think we're in with a chance
Old Nov 30, 10, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I find it difficult to express my apathy ... it would be total apathy apart from my desire to express my apathy.

... from which you might gather I honestly don't give a damn whether some over-paid oiks kick a ball around in Burkina Fasso, Abu Dhabi or Tuvalu. The entire system is corrupt, as with the Olympics, and is a mis-sold drain on National financial resources.

Globally funded ...
Establish a permanent Olympic site in Greece, as they started the bloody thing.
Have a football stadium somewhere outside my TV coverage.

It's not a game, it's tedium and £squillions providing "circuses to appease the masses" ... who, despite their apparently impoverished lower-class status, seem to be able to travel the World to watch the bloody stuff.

... and HARRUMPH
Old Nov 30, 10, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have to say that the foot ball is not something I want in this country. We wont win anyway, even when we play at home. But it so expensive to host and doesnt really do anything for the country.
Old Nov 30, 10, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver (soft landing!), HH Gold
Originally Posted by origin View Post
I have to say that the foot ball is not something I want in this country. We wont win anyway, even when we play at home. But it so expensive to host and doesnt really do anything for the country.
shortsighted. at the most basic level, if England are successful on Thursday, it will bring in serious amounts of tourist revenue in 2018, as well as increase the global profile of England (rather than the UK). More than that though, there is the unquantifiable feel-good factor which everyone bangs on about..

personally, i'm a bit miffed that the best and biggest stadium in the south of england at St Marys in Southampton didn't make the final list; whereas Milton (want another stadium in london but cant justify 4 stadiums in the m25) Keynes got their ground on there... ho hum!

Either way, from a fans point of view, if it goes to Russia.. rubbish!

Panorama made it more likely it comes to England, they cant be seen to be giving a backlash, or resenting the spotlight on bribes.. espically given the news today from the IOC, and FIFA already admitting to having corrupt executive committee members in the last few months
Old Nov 30, 10, 4:03 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Yes indeed...both events seem to be getting worse as the years go by. The last World Cup was especially poor in quality.
Yes, remind me how did Scotland did in that one?
Old Nov 30, 10, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by englishoaks View Post
shortsighted. at the most basic level, if England are successful on Thursday, it will bring in serious amounts of tourist revenue in 2018, as well as increase the global profile of England (rather than the UK). More than that though, there is the unquantifiable feel-good factor which everyone bangs on about..
Feel good, well try getting some people to work over the world cup. Thats not always easy so, like at the moment with snow, work slows down. Some people get so worked up by it. Which doesnt really help with staff. I was also under the impression that everyone knows England. In fact so many people know where England is the get in even when no one is watching.

We get a fair bit of tourist revenue. But some football related is not always the correct amount of tourist money. They are not going to see the sights as such, but do manage to get drunk so pubs will be okay. Also like during the Olympics this puts off many of tourist who want to see the country. So if we win buy shares in pubs and the like.

Whilst I was aware that MK was trying and part of the bid, I didnt notice that MK was one of the grounds. Thanks for pointing that out. MK is a good stadium its getting an expansion as well doubling the size (i think I heard). Train links out of london help, only being 35 minutes on Virgin.

I cant comment on Panorama as I didnt watch it. There are certain groups of people who are behave in that manner. So I am not surprised, I am saddened by it thats all.
Old Nov 30, 10, 4:27 pm
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BOH View Post
Yes, remind me how did Scotland did in that one?
About as well as Wales. But failing to qualify is a good tactic to avoid humiliation at the tournament itself.
Old Nov 30, 10, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have just been reminded about something. Its been a long day. Kelly Brook supports the bid, well she was paid to support the bid. Therefore I am for the bid now.
Old Nov 30, 10, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA GGL/CCR, AMEX Cent, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
I can't see why some people are so anti-World Cup. You might find it overhyped and too expensive but it is the greatest and most prestigious sporting event in the world. I've been to every one since USA 1994 (I was only 2 when Italia '90 rolled around) and you will never see anything like it. Germany 2006 was a particular treat and IMO the level we have to aim for.

I'm excited we have the Olympics, what an opportunity to show off the best of the nation and as a lifelong football fan I can't imagine anything better than having the tournament here. Not a lot to be cheerful about these days, hopefully we'll be celebrating come Thursday
Old Nov 30, 10, 5:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Man_Utd_Fan View Post
Just wondering if anyone else is excited/nervous about Thursday’s desiscion. Being born in the Manchester area, and raised in America I'm super excited. I don't know if anyone cares/likes football (soccer ...god I hate saying that) but being most of you are from the UK or even US I thought I'd ask. I'd love for England to get it in 2018 and US in 2022 cause with that on top of the 2012 events that's a lot of easy and fun tier points! So, as I said will anyone else be looking forward to it as me?
I agree with everything you just said- I really want the UK to get it, I think we have quite a good chance! PS: bet you are not pleased about tonight's Man U result! I am from London and am a massive Arsenal fan- hate to break it to you

Search this Thread