BA UK Weather Watch: w/b 29 Nov

Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

BA UK Weather Watch: w/b 29 Nov

One can never tell if the media reports paint an accurate picture of what the weather situation really is. So could folk post in here any accurate news on UK weather/airport closures as it happens.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Well since Scotland only gets mentioned in the national news if parts of England are bad as well (since it's been dire up here since Saturday evening!), then I'll say - Edinburgh is very bad, and central east Scotland has also been pretty bad. Places like Perth are usually pretty efficient at snow clearance, but they also aren't used to measuring it by the foot

Within Edinburgh, most roads are passable, but it's all a bit hairy and roads are not clear. Lots of cars stuck, so not too much traffic on the roads - which in some ways makes it worse. Snow throughout the day and more forecast overnight, so expect the airport to be still struggling tomorrow.

Most of the central Scottish motorway network has been closed at various times - it snowed, then it melted then it froze then it snowed, meaning any hills are ice rinks or ski slopes. Just not fun at the moment.

And ironically, the ski resorts now have enough slow - but the roads are closed up to them!
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA back down to Blue, PC Plat
INV - the airport has been open most of the day, but few flights have left, because they ran out of de-icing fluid. Runway clear, blue skies even, earlier in the day; planes sat helplessly on the apron.

What are the chances of Flybe owning up and paying the compensation due? I'm not sure I can even be bothered asking!
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Trains are on a reduced schedule ( and still subject to delay), pavements in edinburgh city centre had compacted snow and hard slush ( almost icy), pavements on in falkirk had a good 4-6 inches ( and more up the hill at the high station), stores closing early due to adverse weather.

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

I found this article on the BAA LHR website reassuring:

http://www.heathrowairport.com/porta...00357e120a____
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA bronze
Glasgow hasn't been as badly hit as the east coast, but more snow is expected tomorrow so may become more iffy..

M8 was closed for a while, but at the Edinburgh end.

Old Nov 29, 2010, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Priority Club Gold
Durham (15 miles south of NCL) - woke up to a further 6 inches of snow this morning, on top of a similar amount already fallen. It has snowed on and off all day. 70% of my colleagues didn't make it to work, many because nearly all schools are closed. Even the main roads are difficult. I towed four cars out of the local Park and Ride with my Land Rover this evening (the owners thought I was helping them - actually I was just having fun). Tonight it is still snowing and it is now starting to get windy, so the snow is likely to drift. The morning rush hour is going to be very difficult indeed.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Well since Scotland only gets mentioned in the national news if parts of England are bad as well (since it's been dire up here
Last time I checked the news Scotland was on every news item due to the snow.

Of course when the south east gets hit by it then yes it will take over the news but then we only have to look at where the vast majority of the UK population lives to understand why they focus on such areas.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Dave
I towed four cars out of the local Park and Ride with my Land Rover this evening (the owners thought I was helping them - actually I was just having fun).
I love that ^
Old Nov 29, 2010, 1:37 pm

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
Originally Posted by NSFU
INV - the airport has been open most of the day, but few flights have left, because they ran out of de-icing fluid. Runway clear, blue skies even, earlier in the day; planes sat helplessly on the apron.

What are the chances of Flybe owning up and paying the compensation due? I'm not sure I can even be bothered asking!
It's been a bad few weeks for BE out of INV. I count three delayed 201s in a row - freezing fog, high winds and then someone forgetting to order the de-icer. And coming home, we had the BHX xrash which cancelled the 208 a week ago, I reckon they must be getting pretty good at dodging the compo, with all that practice.

OT, I know, but has anyone actually got any EC2004 or whatever out of FlyBe ever ? I only ever managed it from BA once, for a cancelled EDI-CDG, the day before BaCON, all those years ago.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 1:38 pm

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
No longer allowed a view on FT, sorry.
Don't know the context, but I for one value your input, so please do feel free to have an opinion.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA GfL, TK *G+
For once I am glad I wasnt flying.

Drove from down south to EDI, all ok until last 50 miles, bit snowy but good fun.
Sunday, morning working then up to Aviemore for a cheeky day skiing today. only 7 hours, once on A9 ok, M90 was crazy

Back to EDI today from Aviemore, only three hours in beautiful sunshine.

Unfortunately skiing was out because funicular needed digging out! Too much snow

Even dry ski slope is closed in EDI.

Still snowing on/off.

Pavements are slushy but passable
Old Nov 29, 2010, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold BD Silver Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
as long as I get inbound from TIP thursday and then outbound to MIA on the Tue's I will be a happy man, but must admit sitting out in the sunshine lookign nervously at the weather reports for the Uk
Old Nov 29, 2010, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Trying to get a friend back to EDI on bmi and not having much luck. Currently on the third rebooked flight and he's looking at an overnight stay. bmi for their part aren't offering any hotels or food claiming that it's not their responsibility as the delay is due to 'weather'.

Since

a) The rebooked flight was to GLA and both GLA and LHR are open
b) I think the EU regulation states that assistance is required even if the events are beyond the control of the airline.

I'm fairly sure this is rubbish. Can anyone confirm?
Old Nov 29, 2010, 2:32 pm

Assistance is due regardless of the cause of disruption. It's only cancellation compensation which is dependent upon the cause of the cancellation.

Ask BD to provide a copy of the rules (as they are required to do) which should state that they will provide accommodation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.